The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-06-2015, 10:42 PM   #1
dirtybirdindian

53 GMC 5-Window W/ Hydramatic

I don't know much about these...have heard they are kind of rare.

Would tearing it apart and doing resto-mod be a mistake? Or will it bring enough money to justifying leaving it alone and selling as is to someone that wants to do a restoration?
Old 05-06-2015, 10:55 PM   #2
greg_h

Re: 53 GMC 5-Window W/ Hydramatic

go to www.53gmc.com and look at Bill's truck. Then decide if it is something you want to rod. GMC and Chevy use different linkage as well as shifters and neutral start switch. I know a guy that would talk you out of your transmission cover in a heartbeat. Yes they are somewhat rare. But it is your truck. Make it like you want it but don't let the rare parts go to salvage.
greg_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 11:20 PM   #3
dirtybirdindian

The GMC belongs to a friend of mine...I'm still working on my 53 chevy!

He has some interest in digging into one of these trucks but doesn't know if he should leave the GMC alone and find another truck or take the drive train out and sell it separately.

I guess the main question would be, is the truck worth enough or rare enough to justify leaving alone and selling as all original or would separating the drivetrain from the truck not be that big of a deal?

It seems to me that there are enough trucks of this era around, so why tear something apart that is kind of rare when you can find another resto-mod project fairly easily.

Maybe I'm giving the GMC to much credit!!
Old 05-06-2015, 11:34 PM   #4
greg_h

The cab is actually different in the shape of the toe board and the transmission cover. In 53 I THINK the frame was the same. Later, they got heavier crossmembers that unbolted to remove the transmission from under the truck. Brake lines were routed differently for the same reason. It has a solenoid starter instead of the foot stomper. To someone building a hydramatic truck, the parts have value. To someone wanting a street rod, not so much. I got the rolling chassis and running gear for my 54 Chevy truck from someone that was cutting one up for a street rod. So that worked out in my favor. Again, make it the way you want it but before you take a torch to some of the "proprietary parts" let someone have a chance at them that could help complete their project.
greg_h is offline   Reply With Quote