The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-01-2017, 10:01 PM   #1
cknfrmr

Paint Buff Out With Great Results

Been doin some research on restoring my faded out paint on my 69. So today I tried the CLR and grey scotch pad trick to clean it. Then buffed it with red rubbing compound. Finished it up with some cleaner wax. Took me most of the day to do drivers side front fender and bed side. I totally surprised with how it turned out. It actually shines. Didn't mean to go down to primer but I like it a lot. The black running down from top of bed sides is the Eastwood Rust Convertor so it kind of matches I guess.
Attached Images

cknfrmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 10:43 PM   #2
Chevyland

Re: Paint Buff Out With Great Results

Keep working at it!
👍
Lookin good
Chevyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 12:57 AM   #3
71C10Guy

Wow. That looks great, would you explain how you did that? I have a 71 that is in pretty good condition paint wise but is so dull it practically sucks light in! I really want some shine, and it doesn't need to be showroom, but until I get started repainting I would like her to look presentable.
71C10Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 08:26 AM   #4
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
I'm no body man but I can tell you that you have to be really careful with the old paint on these trucks. If you use a product that is too harsh or try to use an electric buffer there is a good chance that you will go through the paint.

Unless the paint has a lot of rust showing through it I wouldn't touch it with CLR, or a scotch brite. Get some Turtle Wax White Polishing Compound and go over it by hand. (no buffer) then give it a couple of coats of a good brand of wax. You will be surprised how well that old paint will clean up.....

I used a product called "Carnu-B" Wax on the '70 and it turned out great. Plain old soap and water with a soft bristle brush, then wipe it down with a towel works good on the vinyl upholstery.

Here is the hood on my ’70 after the White Polishing compound and the Carnuba wax on half of it..

https://carnu-b.com/

Just my 2¢ worth....

LockDoc
Attached Images

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 09:26 AM   #5
cknfrmr

Thanks for all the input and comments on my post.
Old 07-02-2017, 09:43 AM   #6
cknfrmr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71C10Guy View Post
Wow. That looks great, would you explain how you did that? I have a 71 that is in pretty good condition paint wise but is so dull it practically sucks light in! I really want some shine, and it doesn't need to be showroom, but until I get started repainting I would like her to look presentable.
Pretty much just took the CLR in a spray bottle and sprayed it on the paint straight. Then went over it with the grey scotch pad and lightly scrubbed it. Rinsed it with water. (directions say not to leave on for over 2 minutes) Next I dried it off and kept doing that until was happy with it. Then put rubbing compound on it buffed that out. Then cleaner wax and buffed it out. I really am over the top thrilled with the results. Going to keep wax on it like I do with my other vehicles so will see how it holds up. I am a think out of the box type of person so sometimes things work out for me and sometimes the don't. But am always willing to try something new to see how it works out. Hope this helps you out and good luck. Thanks for taking interest in my post.
Old 07-02-2017, 09:56 AM   #7
GR8-68

Yeah !! Looks great Robert, glad to se you finally broke down and posted some pics

It is easily overlooked that what is now called vintage was once brand new.

"Project 68"

paypal.me/ldgrant
GR8-68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 10:01 AM   #8
cknfrmr

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR8-68 View Post
Yeah !! Looks great Robert, glad to se you finally broke down and posted some pics
Thanks Man. Had to post some. Was called out LOL.
Old 07-02-2017, 08:35 PM   #9
GR8-68

Quote:
Originally Posted by cknfrmr View Post
Thanks Man. Had to post some. Was called out LOL.
I do not know who would have called you out on posting pics !!!

It is easily overlooked that what is now called vintage was once brand new.

"Project 68"

paypal.me/ldgrant
GR8-68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 09:15 PM   #10
dmjlambert

cknfrmr, that looks really nice. I would like to learn some of this, too. I can see similar results on the fender of my truck where the saddle color shines and places where the paint is worn through are black and shiny. I kind of like the look. So, I can figure out the fenders. What do you guys think I can do with my hood if most of it is a sea of rust and is rough textured to the touch? I think there may be a finish under there begging to get out, and I wouldn't mind it it ended up being more black than saddle. But the rust is just like lots of very small rough stuff that is almost like hard beads and it is a tough surface, so I can't seem to polish it off. Is there something I can do? The surface just seems to laugh at CLR and a hand-held square of scotch bright pad.
Attached Images

dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 09:38 PM   #11
cknfrmr

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmjlambert View Post
cknfrmr, that looks really nice. I would like to learn some of this, too. I can see similar results on the fender of my truck where the saddle color shines and places where the paint is worn through are black and shiny. I kind of like the look. So, I can figure out the fenders. What do you guys think I can do with my hood if most of it is a sea of rust and is rough textured to the touch? I think there may be a finish under there begging to get out, and I wouldn't mind it it ended up being more black than saddle. But the rust is just like lots of very small rough stuff that is almost like hard beads and it is a tough surface, so I can't seem to polish it off. Is there something I can do? The surface just seems to laugh at CLR and a hand-held square of scotch bright pad.
Maybe lightly sand with 2000, 3000 or finer grit wet dry to smooth it out? That is what I was gonna try next if things didn't work out. Just my thoughts. But again I am a risk taker. LOL. I also JUST read a few minutes ago DURA GLOSS has a polish out that is suppose to coat or seal the paint for up to two years and leaves a smooth finish. Its a two part process. Cleaner then the sealer. Think I'm gonna put it on mine. Its like $50. Ive always liked DURA GLOSS. I really like the look of yours. My hood was repainted by previous owner so I'm gonna have to put some real elbow grease in it to get it to match. They made it look almost new looking. Have not ever seen one that color of yours. Its awesome looking. I like seeing everyone's different stuff and what they do.

Last edited by cknfrmr; 07-02-2017 at 09:51 PM. Reason: added some more info
Old 07-03-2017, 06:33 AM   #12
Ken B

If you are going too try something I highly recommend trying it in an inconspicuous spot. Don't start on the top of the hood or fender... I know you probably already know this I'm just reminding you.. Lol!
Ken B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 08:58 AM   #13
hewittca

That turned out really nice! I love seeing original paint brought back to life. Now get the whole truck done so we can see it

I just finished matching the new paint on my bed to the original paint on the cab. I detailed how I did it in my build thread. How do you plan on matching your hood to the rest of the truck?

-
C10 Concept/Development Photos: Master Thread
hewittca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 02:05 PM   #14
cknfrmr

Quote:
Originally Posted by hewittca View Post
That turned out really nice! I love seeing original paint brought back to life. Now get the whole truck done so we can see it

I just finished matching the new paint on my bed to the original paint on the cab. I detailed how I did it in my build thread. How do you plan on matching your hood to the rest of the truck?

Thanks. Working on it a little every day. Its under one of those portable carports so a little every morning. Getting there. Will check out how you did yours for sure. Yours matches perfect. Larry talked me into posting on forum how it turned out. I'm not the most confident in my work type person. I'm getting there though slowly. Thanks again.
Old 07-05-2017, 11:41 PM   #15
cknfrmr

went back over it with 2000 grit wet dry and buffed it out again. came out ever better. in the one pic you can actually see the reflection of the red truck in mine.
Attached Images