The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-30-2011, 10:01 PM   #26
capev86

Re: New to site and suburban life.

my 72 burb c20 came with the standard 307 with 3 on the tree. i pulled the 2 barrel in favor a Q-jet. being a 3/4 ton, the rear gearing was 4.57. changed it out for 4.10 gears. the speedo would read 54mph when going 60. the original plastic speedo gear in the side of the trans had 25 teeth so i bought a new replacement the same size/style with 22 teeth from classic parts of america.

a trick i used to keep from losing fluid in the trans was to park my truck on a hill with the nose down and the right side lower than the left so the fluid would not seep out the speedo drive hole when i pulled the plug that surrounds the stalk on the speedo gear. after the swap my dad and i took it up on the highway and using a watch and the mile markers we determined that the speedometer was now spot on at 60mph.

my math:

4.10/4.57 = 0.897 or 90%

25 x .90 = 22.4

Last edited by capev86; 10-10-2011 at 12:06 AM.
capev86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 08:26 PM   #27
CurtisC

Thanks cape, I found a edelbrock 1406 on craigslist and bought a rebuild kit for it. I have put it on with a new distributor and new coil and new power steering hoses and it works a lot better. I need help fine tuning the carb to get it perfect. The carb was pretty crusty and I did my best to clean it out which I thik I did fine but who knows I could have missed one little thing. I am not worried about the speedo right now. I have a gps that tells me how fast I'm going. I need to fix the gas gauge first, I bought a new sending unit and hopes to put it in next weekend. My imediate problem is the right rear tail light won't brake or blink but it will turn on if the lights are on. I need to get that fixed asap so I can get it inspected so I can register it. Any help with that would be great.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:18 AM   #28
capev86

i fixed my previous post. 54 vs 60mph, not 8.

until i get the gas sender fixed i'm stuck using the odometer to figure out miles on a tank of gas so i needed it back on proper calibration. i figure at 14mpg x 20 gallons is about a 300 mile range. so i start looking for a gas station at about 250 miles or sooner if is convenient or the truck is going to sit for awhile (have it filled up for the next road trip, etc). i also want to keep the odo correct for the sake of original mileage (currently 77,000 and change)

i keep a record book in the glove box of all my cars. left side is gas fill ups (date, miles, (F) if it is a fill up so i can figure mileage, $, etc) and the right side side pages are for recording all repairs and upgrades (again w/ date, mileage, $, etc). i can look back and see when maintenance needs to be done (or wonder why something wore out quickly). it's a habit i picked up from my dad and grandfather.
capev86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:04 AM   #29
CurtisC

I am starting to do that too. I am starting a business and want to keep track of my miles.
Old 10-10-2011, 01:09 PM   #30
Tim240Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtisC View Post
My imediate problem is the right rear tail light won't brake or blink but it will turn on if the lights are on. I need to get that fixed asap so I can get it inspected so I can register it. Any help with that would be great.
I have found that 9 times out of 10, that problem is a bad ground at that tail light, either at the wire to the body, or the contacts in bulb socket.....

Sold: 71 Cheyenne 20
Installed a 99 5.7L L31/4L60E from Suburban 1500 (2005)
Tim240Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 01:15 PM   #31
CurtisC

I took the ones fromt he left working side and they didn't work on the right nonworking side either. I am only getting 1 volt from the cable that goes up the wall to where ever it goes. When you turn the lights on that lights up and does teh side rear marker light too on that side, it just won't blink or go on for the brakes.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:14 PM   #32
CurtisC

Progress report: I got the lights working and it was crusty fuses! so I cleaned them up and lubed them and all is well. Since I bought the truck I put in a new carb (used rebuilt), new distributer (used rebuilt), new tune up stuff, new side mirrors, all new brakes including master cylinder, new power steering hoses, and the ac and gas gauge is getting worked on as we speak. Now phase two, fixing leaks and oil burning. Then tires, new steering box, and regear the speedo cable. I am still looking for seats (all three rows) locally. Other than that everything else should be good to go except little stuff. I would post a picture but it's the same as the other one up there but with mirrors.