The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-03-2014, 10:45 PM   #1
BrianG

ORD tie rod and tie rod ends on 69 K10

I've searched but couldn't find any posts on this issue. Maybe someone can help. I am getting ready to replace my tie rod and tie rod ends in my 69 K10 that has a 4" Skyjacker Softride suspension. I've got the old one off, but before I put the new stuff on (which I just purchased from ORD) I noticed that the new one from ORD has straight tie rod ends, where my original tie rod ends drop down. This drops the tie rod down and gives a little extra room for the spring. The front end is the stock Dana 44. I have a 71 which also has a Dana 44 and that also has the stock drop down tie rods. However I have a second Dana 44 out of a 76 and it does not have the drop down tie rods. I'm just worried that if I don't go with a drop down tie rod that the tie rod will contact the spring on a big bump. Any pics of an ORD tie rod and tie rods ends installed on a 69-72 4x4 would maybe help me out. Also, of course any advice, or thoughts would help me out. Thanks!
BrianG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 09:36 AM   #2
BrianG

Re: ORD tie rod and tie rod ends on 69 K10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianG View Post
I've searched but couldn't find any posts on this issue. Maybe someone can help. I am getting ready to replace my tie rod and tie rod ends in my 69 K10 that has a 4" Skyjacker Softride suspension. I've got the old one off, but before I put the new stuff on (which I just purchased from ORD) I noticed that the new one from ORD has straight tie rod ends, where my original tie rod ends drop down. This drops the tie rod down and gives a little extra room for the spring. The front end is the stock Dana 44. I have a 71 which also has a Dana 44 and that also has the stock drop down tie rods. However I have a second Dana 44 out of a 76 and it does not have the drop down tie rods. I'm just worried that if I don't go with a drop down tie rod that the tie rod will contact the spring on a big bump. Any pics of an ORD tie rod and tie rods ends installed on a 69-72 4x4 would maybe help me out. Also, of course any advice, or thoughts would help me out. Thanks!
Here is a picture of my stock tie rod and ends, and the replacement that I bought from ORD. You can see the replacement doesn't have the drop ends... Can I use without issue? I didn't want to do an installed picture incase I have to send the ends back.
Attached Images

Old 05-04-2014, 09:06 PM   #3
BrianG

Update: the ORD tie rod and tie rods ends will not work what I believe to be the stock Dana 44 Front ends in our trucks. I believe that these are referred to as the Dana 44s with the flat top knuckles. I have a 69 and 71 and they both have the same design. These have the tie rod ends that drop the tie rod down and out of the way of the leaf spring. This is necessary because the tie rod goes in from the top (nuts are on the bottom of steering knuckle arm). I scavenged some pars off from another Dana 44 front axle assembly. This one is from a 76 Chevy truck. The knuckles are different (not flat top design) and the tie rods are different as well. They bolt on from the bottom. This design does not require the drop tie rod ends. So, the ORD tie rod and ends will work for the later design, but I am unsure of when Chevy changed, all I can pass on is it will not work for at least 69-71. Here are a couple of pictures to try to show the differences. The first is from my 71. This is how my 69 looked before I took it off. The second is from the 76 axle that I took parts from.
Attached Images

Old 05-05-2014, 10:09 AM   #4
BrianG

If anyone knows of a company reproducing the tie rod (maybe called tie rod adjusting sleeve, 52" to 53" in length) for a 67-72 4x4, please pass it along.
Old 05-05-2014, 02:23 PM   #5
sboris

Maybe a moderator could move this to the 4x4 section to be answered quicker for you.
71 short step-sold
71 chevy Beauville van
My build.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=633039
sboris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 02:31 PM   #6
BrianG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sboris View Post
Maybe a moderator could move this to the 4x4 section to be answered quicker for you.
Thanks, but I started a similar thread over there when I was getting no response here. I posted it here because I do usually get a much better response over here, even when it is 4x4 related. Also, the tie rod on this seems to be specific to the 67-72 trucks and knowing that there are a lot of guys on here with 4x4's I was hoping to get at least some response. I'm just really surprised that no one else has come across this before.
Old 05-05-2014, 03:28 PM   #7
steelhorse

Can you find a part number on the old one to cross over?
steelhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 04:12 PM   #8
BrianG

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelhorse View Post
Can you find a part number on the old one to cross over?
I doubt it. But then again, I had no idea that there were part numbers on the axle tube housing until I read about it on this site. I'll try to clean the old one up and look it over.

Is there some sort of Chevy Manual that would have such a number? I only have the assembly manual. I don't think it has part numbers.

With as much looking I've done, I'm thinking I'll either have to get lucky and find a used one, or have one custom made.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:09 AM   #9
Vero67

I just changed out the front axle in my 67 with one from a 69. I went to advance auto, my replacement tierod ends have the curve in them. AutoZone carries them also. Just add your truck to the garage, type in tierods, the parts and pictures will pop up. You can crossreference the numbers if needed.
Vero67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 09:36 AM   #10
BrianG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vero67 View Post
I just changed out the front axle in my 67 with one from a 69. I went to advance auto, my replacement tierod ends have the curve in them. AutoZone carries them also. Just add your truck to the garage, type in tierods, the parts and pictures will pop up. You can crossreference the numbers if needed.
I have not had any problems finding the tie rod ends. Its the tie rod itself that isn't available.
Old 05-06-2014, 01:51 PM   #11
Vero67

Brian did you check speedway automotive. They sell different length sleeves for street rods and old trucks.
Vero67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 02:59 PM   #12
BrianG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vero67 View Post
Brian did you check speedway automotive. They sell different length sleeves for street rods and old trucks.
Thanks for the tip!... Looked kind of promising, but they didn't have anything that would have worked.
Old 05-06-2014, 03:10 PM   #13
BrianG

It looks like I'm going to go in the direction of adding the ORD zero rate springs. Thanks for all of your replies, but in the end, I think this will be a good solution.

I also want to reiterate that I don't want anyone to think that I am somehow knocking the ORD products. They are all really high quality! They are a great company to deal with as well. Their tech support on this was very good.

Hopefully others will use this post as I have used many others on this board. If they run into a similar circumstance they can learn from the experience of others. For me, it being that if you need to replace your tie rod in a 67-72 GM 4x4 and you are having issues finding a stock replacement, their are options. Those options may or may not work for your particular setup, but this is how I remedied it to fit my needs.