The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-09-2019, 12:28 AM   #26
rechinca

Re: Can I use CA tags to drive home to NY?

As a retired LEO in Cali, the others are solid in the info. As long as you have dated and signed title CA only cares that the transfer is done in 10 days after the title is signed and there is a 5 day window to notify the CA DMV of the release of liability from the seller, which they can submit online in less than 5 minutes on a smart phone. Just make sure to get a written bill of sale with it. California tags usually stay with the vehicle unless the seller keeps and requests transfer to different vehicle (like a personalized plate). If you have those you are good to go leaving this state with it.
Old 09-09-2019, 12:49 AM   #27
georgieb51

Quote:
Originally Posted by rechinca View Post
As a retired LEO in Cali, the others are solid in the info. As long as you have dated and signed title CA only cares that the transfer is done in 10 days after the title is signed and there is a 5 day window to notify the CA DMV of the release of liability from the seller, which they can submit online in less than 5 minutes on a smart phone. Just make sure to get a written bill of sale with it. California tags usually stay with the vehicle unless the seller keeps and requests transfer to different vehicle (like a personalized plate). If you have those you are good to go leaving this state with it.
Thank you Rechinca. I know how much the NYSDMV loves their forms so I brought their official (802) Bill Of Sale forms with me and had the PO sign two sets of forms just in case, and also brought a NYS Registration form all filled out except for the PO address which I added during the sale. And I also filled out the form that releases the PO from liability, etc. I signed that right after I gave him the cash and he signed the Title over to me. I am impressed with how many responders have law enforcement experience, I am trying to do my best to show anyone beyond the shadow of a doubt that all my ducks are in a row, but that the final duck cannot be added until I get to NY. Once I am there I already have a set of Historical tags waiting for me at the local DMV that I used on a vehicle I just sold. They are kind enough to hold onto previous tags for 2-3 months in this very small but efficient DMV office.
1967 Chevy K10 Short Stepside, unrestored original.
1969 GMC CST (Longhorn) 396, buckets, unrestored.
1995 GMC K2500, 65,000 miles, 454.
georgieb51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 12:54 AM   #28
KQQL IT
At the body shop.

Sounds like a good time to me.
I've shuttled big trucks back and forth across country on a wing and prayer have yet to have any real problems.
Where in Cali is it. If it's near us we could help with the get ready
Old 09-09-2019, 01:21 AM   #29
georgieb51

Quote:
Originally Posted by KQQL IT View Post
Sounds like a good time to me.
I've shuttled big trucks back and forth across country on a wing and prayer have yet to have any real problems.
Where in Cali is it. If it's near us we could help with the get ready

I forgot how much folks like photos. The first photo is of the truck I am bringing back from CA on a trailer. It is a 69 Chevy K10 short stepside, one owner. It started out blue but became mostly yellow as I started to swap body parts. The last photo is of the truck I just bought which I will be using to haul the 69. It is a 95 GMC 2500 with a 454 and only 58,000 original miles, and is totally set up for hauling The 69 is for sale either in CA before I leave or back in NY when I arrive.
Attached Images

Old 09-09-2019, 08:25 AM   #30
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsavage View Post
I would talk to NYDMV and your insurance. Whether you have the CA title in your possession or not, it is not officially registered to you. therefore, there is a chance that your insurance wouldn't cover. I wouldn't bet my house and future on it. Better to research than be sorry.
As stated, CA is a state where the registration stays with the vehicle, so valid till expiration. Then, once in NY you go by how long they give you to register it properly there. Same as when someone gets a job transfer and brings the same car with them. In MD we have 30 days, but it is left up to enforcement. I have done it many times. I usually drive on the CA tag until it expires, just because I like that. Who is to say how long it's been in your state? The bill of sale and dated title signature could be 60 days old but you could have taken a 30 day drive home. Or if it's 6 months old, you could have had a breakdown requiring it be left behind at a shop and you just flew out to drive it home. If I was really worried I would keep updating a bill of sale to carry. How can the seller's signature be verified? I don't go around carrying the title to the vehicle. If the authorities' interest in all this is theft prevention, I'd think they would not want a title kept in a vehicle. How convenient for car thieves is that? If they can steal a vehicle they can forge a signature.
Quote:
Originally Posted by too much stuff View Post
I had joesjunk pickup a truck for me recently. Drove down to pick it up and drive back to MN. In MO the owner keeps the plates so I drove home to MN with NO plates at all. Sure enough, an hour and 20 mins from home I get pulled over by a trooper. I have the title with me, but we didn't date the part I kept. Trooper wasn't impressed. Had to wait for a backup county sheriff to assist... Having some fun now...He told me if the title was dated he would have let me go sooner. He also said as soon as you get into the state where the vehicle resides you are supposed to do the title transfer. Then he put his head down and said "I guess it is sunday" Just get home and take care of it was the last I heard from him.
And yes, state farm will cover you upon buying a vehicle for at least 14 days and up to 30 automatically.
I would say go for it as long as you can prove ownership possibly with a bill of sale and title with a date on it, have fun on your roadtrip!
I bought a '95 Suburban from Cobb County, GA government. It had no registration on it at that time. It was a Friday, first thing in the morning when I arrived. I made the comment that I had plenty of day left to get my temporary tag. That's when the clerk told me GA doesn't issue temp tags. You get 10 days to register and for the ten days you keep your papers with you in the vehicle. Well that's just fine for running around Georgia, but I had four other states to drive through to get home! I had no choice but hop in a go, naked tag brackets and all. It was a comfort that the title and bill of sale were from a county gov't office and you could still see the sheriffs dept markings where the vinyl had been removed. I had put it on my policy before leaving, so no issue there... except no card to show. I had plans to visit people along the way, but now it was stick to the straight and narrow path home to support my story. I had troopers pass on by in TN and the other states I don't recall seeing any. So, got home w/o incident

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 09-09-2019 at 08:31 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 08:51 AM   #31
72c20customcamper

Untill you go to NYDMV the truck belongs to the prior owner. So as long as there is insurance and a valid register there is no problem. You have permission from the prior owner to drive the vehicle.

I bought a car in Texas . I downloaded all the forms overnighted them all filled out to my son who went to DMV with a check signed by me. He got the plates on Wednesday and I was on the road Thursday afternoon.
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 11:57 AM   #32
georgieb51

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
As stated, CA is a state where the registration stays with the vehicle, so valid till expiration. Then, once in NY you go by how long they give you to register it properly there. Same as when someone gets a job transfer and brings the same car with them. In MD we have 30 days, but it is left up to enforcement. I have done it many times. I usually drive on the CA tag until it expires, just because I like that. Who is to say how long it's been in your state? The bill of sale and dated title signature could be 60 days old but you could have taken a 30 day drive home. Or if it's 6 months old, you could have had a breakdown requiring it be left behind at a shop and you just flew out to drive it home. If I was really worried I would keep updating a bill of sale to carry. How can the seller's signature be verified? I don't go around carrying the title to the vehicle. If the authorities' interest in all this is theft prevention, I'd think they would not want a title kept in a vehicle. How convenient for car thieves is that? If they can steal a vehicle they can forge a signature.

I bought a '95 Suburban from Cobb County, GA government. It had no registration on it at that time. It was a Friday, first thing in the morning when I arrived. I made the comment that I had plenty of day left to get my temporary tag. That's when the clerk told me GA doesn't issue temp tags. You get 10 days to register and for the ten days you keep your papers with you in the vehicle. Well that's just fine for running around Georgia, but I had four other states to drive through to get home! I had no choice but hop in a go, naked tag brackets and all. It was a comfort that the title and bill of sale were from a county gov't office and you could still see the sheriffs dept markings where the vinyl had been removed. I had put it on my policy before leaving, so no issue there... except no card to show. I had plans to visit people along the way, but now it was stick to the straight and narrow path home to support my story. I had troopers pass on by in TN and the other states I don't recall seeing any. So, got home w/o incident
Hello Tim, I always enjoy listening to what you have to say and hearing your stories. I have bought a few things from you at Carlisle and always enjoyed talking with you. This makes me think that I should always travel with a spare set of plates. They may not be legal but at least I would not get pulled over for NOT having plates.
Old 09-09-2019, 11:58 AM   #33
georgieb51

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper View Post
Untill you go to NYDMV the truck belongs to the prior owner. So as long as there is insurance and a valid register there is no problem. You have permission from the prior owner to drive the vehicle.

I bought a car in Texas . I downloaded all the forms overnighted them all filled out to my son who went to DMV with a check signed by me. He got the plates on Wednesday and I was on the road Thursday afternoon.
That is another way of doing it. Nice to hear from another NYer. Glad it all worked out for you that way. More than one way to skin a cat.
Old 09-09-2019, 11:04 PM   #34
special-K
Special Order

They say you are better off displaying no plates then fraudulent ones. No registration is one issue, add the fraudulent tag and you have two issues. True, less attention is drawn with a tag displayed than a naked area. But these days they read tag and check on their computer when you are doing nothing else wrong. Ask me how I know. You are good since CA is a state that leaves the tags with the vehicle. PA is that way, too.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 11:47 PM   #35
Overdriven

For tolls check and see how many states accept EZ-PASS. As long as it’s accepted and able to be read, tolls will be billed through the EZ-PASS instead of by the plates.
Old 09-10-2019, 08:08 AM   #36
72ironmike

I like "too much stuffs" answer. Go for it and maybe it will be an adventure !

You might get pulled over just so they can look at your truck.
72ironmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 01:53 PM   #37
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
I have American Family Insurance and am automatically covered for 30 days on anything I buy, as long as I have a bill of sale or signed/dated title. I always call them and give the make, model, & VIN number but he said that wasn't necessary.

I don't know what routes you will be taking, but if you are going to be traveling across Iowa on I-80 I will PM you my cell # and you can give me a call if you have any problems.....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 09-10-2019 at 01:59 PM.
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote