The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-29-2011, 06:15 PM   #1
jbclassix
Junk Yartist

more hub help!!!

I have a 91 3/4 ton 10 bolt that came factory with auto hubs. I recently upgraded to manual hubs. 2 weeks ago I destroyed my left front wheel bearings. I have replaced the spindle, hub and bearings (including the axleshaft bearing) and the hub. When I put the hub on, I had the same problem when I swapped to manual hubs. I installed the washer and snap ring on the inside of the axle shaft (as shown). I cannot get the hub to set in far enough to get the outer snap ring in the groove! I removed the snap ring, left the washer, and now the hub sits far enough in. I put the snap ring on the outside of the hub (second picture). This is the same way I did it when I switched to manual hubs. I did not have this problem on the right side. Am I doing something wrong?!

YOU ONLY FAIL IF YOU STOP TRYING

70 Crew Cab Build Link

70 GMC Suburban 4X4 build thread

95 Yukon Daily Driver

Rebuilding an NP205
jbclassix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 07:40 PM   #2
68chevyfuelie

Re: more hub help!!!

I thought the washer (in the first pic, behind the snap ring) goes between the axleshaft and the hub. I'm still new, but I've torn down 20 Dana/10 bolts this year, and haven't seen the inner snap ring used yet, and none have had a washer between the spindle nuts and the locking hub guts.

Do you have a thrust washer already between the hub and stub shaft, and this is a second one?
68chevyfuelie is offline   Reply With Quote