The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-29-2013, 10:18 PM   #1
tommartin

Question about 4wd - 79 k10

So I took my tuck off road for the first time today. I bought the tuck with no motor and it's finally running ok.

So from what I understand, it's got a 203 transfer case in it.

So it's got the full time transfer case. It's just my off road rig right now.

I took it out in a soft dirt field and it plowed through just fine, which was awesome!

But I was wondering if my front axel was ingauged?

My dad was with me in his truck, and I asked if all 4 were kicking up the soft dirt. He said the rear was spining faster then the front and kicking up dirt. The dirt was soft like sand so the wheels moved freely.

So my question is if it was in low-loc with the front hubs locked would the back tires be able to spin faster than the front?

I though low-loc was both diffs were locked into moving the same and the same speed?

Didn't get any off road pics but snapped one when I came back.

Thanks for any info
Posted via Mobile Device
tommartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 01:05 AM   #2
dieseldawg142

Re: Question about 4wd - 79 k10

that looks like locking hubs on your front axle, if thats the case, your 203 has probably been converted to part time. to check, put the t-case in HI (or 2HI if converted) & see if you can spin the front driveshaft, if it turns you've been converted.
yes, HI-LOC & LO-LOC keep your axles turning the same speed (like a locker)
there's probably a good chance you have an open front diff which will explain your wheel speed differences between front & rear (rear's drivin', front's riding)
dieseldawg142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:57 AM   #3
special-K
Special Order

Re: Question about 4wd - 79 k10

If it has lock-out hubs it had to be converted,so the full-time thing is no more. You have 4HI,2HI,N,and 4LO. When in 4HI or 4LO both axles are engaged,like any other 4wd system. Lockers have no effect on that. They cause both sides of one axle to spin together. If your rears are open one side can spin a different speed or only one spins,but both axles will have at least one wheel spinning. You can't see both sides at one time and I think your dad saw the rear engaged side and the front was not the driving wheel at the moment.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote