The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-15-2011, 09:18 PM   #1
78customdeluxe

towing bags

Firs i'll just say i'm bringing this over from the suspension forum to hopefully get a better response

I know I have multiple options on what I want to do. I've got the truck in my sig, 1988 crew cab dually 4x4. I need to lift the rear after the 4x4 swap, and I thought while I was at it to go with some sort air ride setup, partly for the ride quality, and mostly for the variable hauling capacity. I havnt been able to locate a 4link setup that would be heavy enough for what I want for my body style truck. The bag part i'm not worried about fabbing something up with, just want something heavy enough to hold the axle from twisting under the torque of the cummins infront of it.
1970 CST10(parting out and partial donor for the '70 C30)
2000 GMC 1500 ext cab sb, z71, 5.3 loaded auto
78customdeluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 06:56 AM   #2
propanemudtruck
Local Redneck Authority

Re: towing bags

How much lift are you looking for? Depending on height, what about incorporating a trailing arm on a shackle into a lift block. You could use 2x3 tubing or so if that would give you the lift you need and run a length of that tubing up to a shackle mounted on the frame or a crossmember up front of the axle. If it was enough lift, it would also help with axle wrap and not sacrifice any movement of the stock suspension

four on the floor feel the beat in your soul
movin to the rhythym pumpin til ya cant take no more
dance if you want to do what you came to
you cant ignore the feeling of that four on the floor
propanemudtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 08:19 AM   #3
78customdeluxe

The truck will be going up around 6 inches because I had to raise it up from the 4x4 swap and a little more for the axle to clear the cummins pan. I'm a little confuesed and trying to picture what your talking about. Are you saying removing the leaf springs and going to a trailing arm setup similar to the 67-72 2wd trucks? only not running them at an angle in? If so I had thought about that but was also worried about pinion angle as the axle moves up and down... If I do go this route i'm not worried about making some drop mounts for the trailing arms, I can fab somewhat, getting better all the time. This truck will be on the road most of the time, but its also a farm truck so mostly flat fields will the the extent of off road time, except for the occasional creek i'll have to cross to get to a field.
1970 CST10(parting out and partial donor for the '70 C30)
2000 GMC 1500 ext cab sb, z71, 5.3 loaded auto
78customdeluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 09:27 PM   #4
modblacksmith

I would go with the four link with a beefy panyard bar to keep everything in line. You can buy some huge heim joints from 4x4 shops that will hold up to that Cummins. Check out Keldermanairride.com for ideas.
modblacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote