The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-25-2017, 10:56 AM   #1
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Hard Starting Problem.

After 2 years I finally got this 1992 Burb 4 x4 with the TBI 5.7 engine from an estate. The Burb sat for 3/4 years before I bought it. It runs and drives great but have one annoying issue. I've had a few GMT400's with the 5.7 TBI engine and they start within 5 seconds of turning the key. This Burb wont start on the first try after cranking for 15 or so seconds. On the second crank it fires up after 5 seconds. I've changed the plugs, fuel filter and it has tank of fresh gas, has no codes and runs smooth as silk once it starts. Oh yea it only has 156,000kms ( 96000 miles ) on it and has never pued anything as there is no hitch. Anyone got an idea what hard starting probem could be as its super annoying.
Attached Images

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" 4 Things When Used are Gone Forever "

" A Word After it is Said - A Missed Opportunity - Time once Passed - Trust after its Lost "

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021

Last edited by Already Gone; 11-25-2017 at 11:57 AM.
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 11:30 AM   #2
Sixball

Re: Hard Starting Problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Already Gone View Post
After 2 years I finally got this 1992 Burb 4 x4 with the TBI 5.7 engine from an estate. The Burb sat for 3/4 years before I bought it. It runs and drives great but have one annoying issue. I've had a few GMT400's with the 5.7 TBI engine and they start within 5 seconds of turning the key. This Burb wont start on the first try after cranking for 15 or so seconds. On the second crank it fires up after 5 seconds. I've changed the plugs, fuel filter and it has tank of fresh gas and runs smooth as silk once it starts. Oh yea it only has 156,000kms ( 96000 miles ) on it and has never pued anything as there is no hitch. Anyone got an idea what hard starting probem could be as its super annoying.

Check out my thread below "intermittent hard starting / rough idle". I recieved some good advice in that thread. I replaced the Coolant Temp Sensor and only had 2 hard starts since (but I had some weird wiring too). $12 and about 10 minutes to replace that sensor. Hopefully that's all it will take for yours too
Sixball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 11:58 AM   #3
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixball View Post
Check out my thread below "intermittent hard starting / rough idle". I recieved some good advice in that thread. I replaced the Coolant Temp Sensor and only had 2 hard starts since (but I had some weird wiring too). $12 and about 10 minutes to replace that sensor. Hopefully that's all it will take for yours too
Thanks, I'll look into the sensors.

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" A Word After it is Said - A Missed Opportunity - Time once Passed - Trust after its Lost "

Old 11-26-2017, 07:34 PM   #4
Kudzupatch

This is not going to help but I noticed you location. I live in Alabama so temps in the 20's are not very common. My 93 Suburban always starts perfectly. Never failed to fire right up.

We drove to Michigan a couple of years ago to do a show. Parked it in parking garage of the condo we rented left it overnight. Next morning temps were in the low teens, I think around 12 degrees. It did the same exact thing you described. It turned over and over and never even sputtered. Scared me because it always fired right up. Second time it fired right off and ran perfect.

No problems after that but it warmed up a lot after that and never had another problem. Makes me wonder if temp has something to do with it?
Kudzupatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 08:27 PM   #5
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudzupatch View Post
This is not going to help but I noticed you location. I live in Alabama so temps in the 20's are not very common. My 93 Suburban always starts perfectly. Never failed to fire right up.

We drove to Michigan a couple of years ago to do a show. Parked it in parking garage of the condo we rented left it overnight. Next morning temps were in the low teens, I think around 12 degrees. It did the same exact thing you described. It turned over and over and never even sputtered. Scared me because it always fired right up. Second time it fired right off and ran perfect.

No problems after that but it warmed up a lot after that and never had another problem. Makes me wonder if temp has something to do with it?
Thanks for the reply. The cold may have something to do with the way this Burb is acting but I drove a 1994 Burb with the same TBI etc. for 6 yearscand evn when the temp was in the minus 20's F it'd start after4/5 seconds. Right now I have another Burb a 1993 agin TBI etc and it starts right away in the cold. I gotta feeling that coolant sensor thing or Idle Air Control is probably the culprit.

Old 11-27-2017, 12:31 PM   #6
abig84

checking the actual fuel pressure might be a good idea? but i dont know if these older chevys have ports for the fuel pressure.

one thing i used to see on s10s and astrovans is the hose going up from the fuel pump to the pressure hose inside the tank will split. so you lose a lot of pressure while its trying to start but once it gets going and the pump is running full time the vehicle will drive fine.

easy way is if you can get a fuel gauge on the pressure line, key it on and once the fuel pump stops if the pressure drops down to zero really quickly thats probably the problem. a good working fuel pump should hold pressure or go down realllllllllly slowly
abig84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 11:05 PM   #7
no2tracks

Does it have the original distributor? Mine went bad. It was a hard starting problem that acted like the starter was bad. Maybe you can swap out for a known good one to test.
Old 12-03-2017, 01:07 PM   #8
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Quote:
Originally Posted by abig84 View Post
checking the actual fuel pressure might be a good idea? but i dont know if these older chevys have ports for the fuel pressure.

one thing i used to see on s10s and astrovans is the hose going up from the fuel pump to the pressure hose inside the tank will split. so you lose a lot of pressure while its trying to start but once it gets going and the pump is running full time the vehicle will drive fine.

easy way is if you can get a fuel gauge on the pressure line, key it on and once the fuel pump stops if the pressure drops down to zero really quickly thats probably the problem. a good working fuel pump should hold pressure or go down realllllllllly slowly
Thanks for all the replies everyone. Seeing the Burb is 25 almost 26 years old I am going to get the fuel pump replaced and see where there that takes me. If that doesn't cure it then dist cap rotor , coil or maybe just a whole new distributor. If that doesn't cure it then the coolant sensor then the air idle control thing. It should work by then as everything will be changed. I really am thinking fuel pump as there are no codes on the Burb. I plan on keeping this one for a long time.

Old 03-10-2018, 11:10 PM   #9
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

I had the fuel pump replaced and it is still doing the same thing. i'll try coolant sensor next.

Old 03-12-2018, 07:27 AM   #10
TexasJeff
Don't Crush em Restore em

Check the fuel pressure regulator, on that model I believe it is near the driver side valve cover, near the power brake booster. I have the same problem with my '98 crew cab 454, but mine is back next to the distributor and a real pain to change.
1998 Red with Gray Interior, C3500 Chevy Crew Cab Dually
TexasJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 08:54 AM   #11
95 S_Trucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasJeff View Post
Check the fuel pressure regulator, on that model I believe it is near the driver side valve cover, near the power brake booster. I have the same problem with my '98 crew cab 454, but mine is back next to the distributor and a real pain to change.
The OPs truck is TBI, not even similar to the port fuel system on your 98 454
95 S_Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 09:06 AM   #12
95 S_Trucker

Since it runs great, I dont think you have an ignition issue. There is a check valve in the fuel pump. I don't think its bad either, since changing the pump didn't help.

Thes TBI trucks have a fuel pump relay. If the relay fails, there is a redundant circuit that passes through the oil pressure sending unit. However, it wont supply powor to the fuel pump until it sees oil pressure.

Turn the key to "on" without starting the engine. Do you hear the fuel pump prime for a few seconds? If you dont. you have a relay problem If you do hear it run, then your relay is fine, and the extended crank is caused by another issue.
Old 03-12-2018, 11:45 AM   #13
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 S_Trucker View Post
Since it runs great, I dont think you have an ignition issue. There is a check valve in the fuel pump. I don't think its bad either, since changing the pump didn't help.

Thes TBI trucks have a fuel pump relay. If the relay fails, there is a redundant circuit that passes through the oil pressure sending unit. However, it wont supply powor to the fuel pump until it sees oil pressure.

Turn the key to "on" without starting the engine. Do you hear the fuel pump prime for a few seconds? If you dont. you have a relay problem If you do hear it run, then your relay is fine, and the extended crank is caused by another issue.
Thank you I'll try that.

Old 04-28-2018, 05:00 PM   #14
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 S_Trucker View Post

Thank you.. The Fuel Pump Relay was the culprit. After it sitting in a box for 5/6 weeks I finaly got aroud to changing it a couple days ago and now it starts as it should.

Old 04-29-2018, 08:35 AM   #15
95 S_Trucker

That's good news. Thanks for posting back and letting us know.