The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-21-2018, 08:07 PM   #1
delrico72

oldie but goodie

so when i turn the key on my 72 i just got a click.battery is good.put new starter in today and same result.has hei with fusible wire going to starter to hei port marked bat.was told by a local shop that wire from hei to starter isn't necessary.electrical isn't my strong point but bat cables seem ok and could it be the actual key switch.its a cherry c/k 1/2 ton 4x4 shorted I'm putting up for sale so i will get pics up as soon as i get this issue remedied.thanks
delrico72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 11:59 PM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: oldie but goodie

Quote:
Originally Posted by delrico72 View Post
so when i turn the key on my 72 i just got a click.battery is good.put new starter in today and same result.has hei with fusible wire going to starter to hei port marked bat.was told by a local shop that wire from hei to starter isn't necessary.electrical isn't my strong point but bat cables seem ok and could it be the actual key switch.its a cherry c/k 1/2 ton 4x4 shorted I'm putting up for sale so i will get pics up as soon as i get this issue remedied.thanks

Really not enough information. Is it an automatic or manual. The only wire you need going to the starter solenoid with HEI is the purple wire. You don't need the yellow wire. Power the HEI by running a wire inside the cab and connect it to the "IGN UNFUSED" terminal on the fuse block.

Take both of the battery cables off and clean the battery posts and both ends of the cables good.

You can't sell the truck on here unless you are a "Premium" member and then it has to be posted in the "Trucks For Sale" classifieds. If you click on the word "Subscribe" in the menu bar above it will explain the different subscription options.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 08:32 PM   #3
franken

HEI has nothing to do with the issue so forget that. Saying you're not good w/ electrical things means you're already defeated. Call a mechanic or get in the game. Try to use capital letters/grammar/punctuation--it's good to be polite when asking for favors.
Battery voltage and charge are the things to check at this point. You need a voltmeter. Post battery voltage to the tenth (12.6VDC is charged). With the key in the start position measure the voltage to ground at the S-terminal of the solenoid.
The key switch turns on the solenoid, which then throws the starter drive out, engaging the flywheel/flexplate. The solenoid then switches on the starter.
You most likely need to charge the battery.
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 01:01 PM   #4
delrico72

Thanks Leon for the help.It's a automatic transmission.
Old 09-23-2018, 09:42 PM   #5
dave6672

I would definitely clean the battery cable connections, as LocDoc mentioned. I have replaced a couple of starters in my days only to have the problem just a bad/dirty connection at the battery.
Posted via Mobile Device
dave6672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 10:36 PM   #6
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Thanks Leon for the help.It's a automatic transmission.
I was thinking the problem might be the neutral safety switch but if you are sure the click you are hearing is the starter solenoid that probably isn't it. If the solenoid is engaging but the starter isn't turning that would mean that the solenoid is bad, starter is bad, or the positive post on the starter isn't getting power....

LockDoc

-
Old 09-23-2018, 10:58 PM   #7
delrico72

Thanks again,where exactly is the neutral safety switch located? And should i run the wire from the hei to the fusebox before i eliminate the safety switch as the problem? Until this problem the hei bat wire was connected to the starter solenoid.
Old 09-23-2018, 11:25 PM   #8
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Thanks again,where exactly is the neutral safety switch located? And should i run the wire from the hei to the fusebox before i eliminate the safety switch as the problem? Until this problem the hei bat wire was connected to the starter solenoid.

Located at the bottom of the steering column inside the cab. There will be two Purple wires connected to it. The reverse light wires are also connected to it. The wire color for those is Light Green & Dark Green.

Yes, I would go ahead and wire the BAT terminal on the HEI to the IGN UNFUSED terminal on the fuse box.

LockDoc

-
Old 09-23-2018, 11:46 PM   #9
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
I will be "down and out" for a couple of days, so hopefully if you have more questions someone will chime in on them. Also, if you use the "Google" search box above and check the circle in front of 67-72chevytrucks.com you will find info on almost anything.

LockDoc

-
Old 09-23-2018, 11:57 PM   #10
delrico72

Appreciate the help,new to this site and thanks all for the input
Old 09-24-2018, 10:05 AM   #11
special-K
Special Order

I also suspect the neutral safety switch. Could be working but restricting the current enough to allow a click but not all the solenoid needs. I would also check wiring from firewall to starter. You know you have juice all the way, but probably some damaged wire or failing NSS

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote