The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-22-2018, 10:44 AM   #1
el_fantasma

Medical marijuana

Having some cancer pain. Surgery scheduled for 9/10 but in the meantime.

I am currently taking 5 mg oxycodone/ 325 acetaminophen four times a day:
6 am
Noon
6 pm
Midnight

It seems the dosage really lasts about 5 hours. The toughest stretch is from 6pm to midnight. Typically I wake up around 11:30 with significant pain. I get up and try to distract myself by reading until midnight when it’s time for another pill. Usually sit there about 30 minutes until it kicks in and then go back to bed.

Friends have suggested some marijuana edible with dinner which could extend the effectiveness of the Percocet without increasing the dosage. If I did this, how much marijuana should I take. For example, there are lozenges which contain 100 mg. I assume I would just eat one.

Anyone have experience with this stuff. PM if you’re not comfortable posting here.

Thanks,
Rob
Old 08-22-2018, 10:57 AM   #2
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Re: Medical marijuana

I'm no help on the edibles. I didn't have much pain during my treatments. My problem was appetite. Best of luck on your surgery.

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 12:14 PM   #3
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

No experience here either but I support you during this ordeal. Hope the surgery goes well and in the meantime I hope you find better pain relief. I understand the need for prescription meds but I'm not a great fan of them. What little I have heard about pot is THC gets you high, but for actual medical benefits (pain relief) you need CBD. Sure hope you get more helpful replies, in the meantime you could probably get pretty good advice from a dispensary.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 12:35 PM   #4
3drburb

First of all I wish you the best and hope your surgery goes well.

I would suggest doing a web search for a very good marijuana shop near you that leans towards medical uses so they can direct you to the best strain, edibles or oils for your needs.

You should also speak to your doctor about this, being in California this shouldn't be a problem to have an alternative to those meds you are currently taking.

Taking both doesn't seem like a good idea.

Again best wishes.
3drburb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 04:21 PM   #5
chip46wis

Not sure of dose----I can testify to it working for my wife---- she has had 6 back surgeries, ect on top of fighting migraines extreme for 40 years. when and only when in colorado she can be severe enough with a migraine to warrant a visit to the ER... a few puffs of LEGAL weed and usually her headache is gone in 2-3 minutes------terrible stuff right?
chip46wis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 04:30 PM   #6
Tom
driving is in my blood

Eating has never worked for me, only smoking. Can't say it ever takes pain away, just numbs it down slightly perhaps. Its always been a stomach sedative to me, so I guess yes it does take away pain but only in that context.
-CBR600F4i, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, and standup skis
DISCLAIMER: I cant spell for the life of me.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 08:56 PM   #7
yuccales

Can't help you out with the meds, but I sure hope you can find a way to get rid of the pain. Hope you get well soon.
yuccales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 10:59 PM   #8
pritch

All I know for sure is that we'll be voting on it come November. But being Utah, I'm sure it'll be limited to 3.2%
Ol' Green
pritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 11:33 PM   #9
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pritch View Post
All I know for sure is that we'll be voting on it come November. But being Utah, I'm sure it'll be limited to 3.2%
Now that's funny! I spent some time in Kansas so I know about 3.2%, woulda been a mystery to me otherwise.

I'm glad it's legal for those who truly need it, but man it sure does open up a huge can-o-worms. Did here anyway....

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 12:18 AM   #10
68SWB4x4
Strongman Garage

Do NOT take a 100mg lozenge unless you want to hallucinate

Start off light like 5-10mg wait over 2 hours take more if needed.

When you ingest thc it effects you different than smoking it. A lot stronger and “different”

It effects everyone different so like anything start light and see how it works for you.

Wish you the best and if it works it has to be a better alternative than the opiates. Worst case the effects wear off in a few hours (edibles last longer than smoking)
68SWB4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 06:52 AM   #11
In The Ten Ring

Something to consider, just don't buy a firearm. The ATF form that federal law requires to be filled out before a from-dealer-firearm purchase asks about illegal drugs including marijuana.

Medical marijuana or not, legal on the state level or not. taking it is still a federal crime. ATF form 4473 crimes are very seldom prosecuted but marijuana use is still illegal at the federal level.

If you are honest on the form I assume your purchase would be denied but if you withheld that info and it ever came up, that's a felony.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 11:01 AM   #12
el_fantasma

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68SWB4x4 View Post
Do NOT take a 100mg lozenge unless you want to hallucinate

Start off light like 5-10mg wait over 2 hours take more if needed.

When you ingest thc it effects you different than smoking it. A lot stronger and “different”

It effects everyone different so like anything start light and see how it works for you.

Wish you the best and if it works it has to be a better alternative than the opiates. Worst case the effects wear off in a few hours (edibles last longer than smoking)
I got the lozenges yesterday. Each lozenge is only 10 mg CBD and very little THC. Anyway, took a couple at 9:45 pm and two more at 11:45 pm along with one Percocet at midnight. Slept fine until 5 am at which point I had a lot of pain. I think tonight I’ll set the alarm for 3 am and take a couple more lozenges. If I can go to 6 am I’ll be happy. It’s only for 17 more days.

Regardless, thanks everyone for your comments and good thoughts, especially BR3W CITY and his detailed PM

On a truck related note, re-installed the original AM radio that was rebuilt by Gary Tayman in my 72. Took my lovely wife for a cruise and she was impressed, or at least acted that way. I know I will jinx myself but I declare my truck fully restored. OK the engine burns some oil but . . .

Rob
Old 08-23-2018, 11:07 AM   #13
In The Ten Ring

Well brother, I hope you get your pain under control, I will pray for you. Congrats on your truck.....I wish I could say the same!
Old 08-24-2018, 11:28 AM   #14
kwmech

Make my own edibles, have a cookie recipe I've modified over the years that I can "load up" or not, (wife loves the non-loaded ones) 1-2 cookies about 30 minutes before bed and I'm out until at least 6am. It is at least an 8 hour ride, but getting sleep is the most important thing when the body is trying to heal itself. When I get up there is about a 20-30 minute period where your mind kinda un-fogs. During the day I just deal with the pain and take occasional rests, but it's better than being on and dealing with the narcotics and their long term effects
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 07:25 PM   #15
el_fantasma

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwmech View Post
Make my own edibles, have a cookie recipe I've modified over the years that I can "load up" or not, (wife loves the non-loaded ones) 1-2 cookies about 30 minutes before bed and I'm out until at least 6am. It is at least an 8 hour ride, but getting sleep is the most important thing when the body is trying to heal itself. When I get up there is about a 20-30 minute period where your mind kinda un-fogs. During the day I just deal with the pain and take occasional rests, but it's better than being on and dealing with the narcotics and their long term effects
Please send the recipe.

I went to "Harborside" in Oakland today, wow what on operation. Lots of security, they scan your DL before you go inside. Counselors are there to help you with any questions. I bought a tincture, which are drops that you put under your tongue. Still trying to find the correct doseage . . . anyway the adventure continues.

Rob
Old 08-24-2018, 08:39 PM   #16
In The Ten Ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_fantasma View Post
Please send the recipe.

I went to "Harborside" in Oakland today, wow what on operation. Lots of security, they scan your DL before you go inside. Counselors are there to help you with any questions. I bought a tincture, which are drops that you put under your tongue. Still trying to find the correct doseage . . . anyway the adventure continues.

Rob
"Scan your DL" Now I remember! There was a story online about a guy that just visited a pot store, didn't buy anything, but his driver's license was scanned and he was then denied a gun purchase during the instant check at the gun store.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.c42b6d23684a

Now if you aren't a gun owner or have no plans to ever buy a gun, then you are OK. Good luck with your pain management.
Old 08-24-2018, 09:20 PM   #17
special-K
Special Order

Pretty crazy, huh? You get screwed out of gun rights for using, or just looking at, a drug (natural substance actually) that couldn't be more non-violent in it's effect nor does it create violent crimes. But no problem for the guy hooked on prescription oxys, which leads to street heroin when you can't get refills, who needs the gun to hold someone up, possibly kill them, for a quick buzz.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by LockDoc; 08-27-2018 at 12:21 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 06:50 AM   #18
Grumpy old man

The other side of the coin , Medical use isn't legal here in Tn and some of you know Ms Grumpy has dealt with Cancer for the last few years , Multiple surgeries,treatments and such .She's in her 60's and The Dr's were reluctant to prescribe any medications for pain , One Dr suggested she try pot but she has a FFL and that's not an option, Yet the young pillbillies are everywhere ? If it works and it's an option for you ,Use it

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 07:07 AM   #19
special-K
Special Order

There is THC-free CDB oil, which gives all the benefits without the high while keeping user's system THC free.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...Sap8amm21rFw-p

"Remember: Together we can help heal the world so spread the word about the re-emergence of hemp based food supplements and industrial hemp building materials. From 1850 to 1930 hemp based medicines were the most widely prescribed medicines and were listed as helping with up to 100 different ailments until removed from the US pharmacopoeia of drugs in 1941."

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 08-25-2018 at 07:13 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 07:49 AM   #20
richards72chevy

I have seen a lot of positive stories about cdb oil and people with cancer
richards72chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 02:48 PM   #21
kwmech

Quote:
Please send the recipe.

Rob
A lot of the edibles that you purchase in the stores suck, way over priced for stuff that doesn't work. Part of healing is giving the body the right stuff to work with so it can heal. Eat healthy organic, concentrate on fresh vegetables, fruits and lean proteins in moderation, supplement with magnesium, calcium ( the 2 of them are natural pain killers).

https://www.amazon.com/Pure-Essence-...0011865NQ?th=1

Don't know if you are overweight or not, but that is a huge thing when it comes to back problems (which is my issue, lower back broken). Helping to heal the cancer more often than not requires a change of diet. Making the body more alkaline, lots of videos available. Here is an example

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-cF2uwnyIQ

As far as the pain 'recipe' I use. You really do not need mine really. If you can get some MJ ....an indica stain is what you'll need. Just bake up a standard chocolate chip cookie recipe (such as on the back of a choc chip bag) and add in a 1/4 cup of finely ground up product. Do not over bake, say kick the temp down about 10-15 degrees for the same amount of time. Try 1 cookie the first time, effects will hit you after about 30-40 minutes. Do not know about mixing the cookie and the narcotics at the same time. I do know that having 2 cookies and a beer will make you drool on the pillow though.
Old 08-25-2018, 04:50 PM   #22
el_fantasma

My wife has been a recreational user for many years. While we were getting my stuff at Harborside, she bought a marijuana infused chocolate bar. Nothing medical about this, purely to get you high. I took a couple of bites after getting home from my game last night. Within a hour I could really feel it, dizzy and brain just not working right. OK not for me. . . .

Speaking of my game, I drove from RWC to the game at Sunnyvale. I had to be there at 6pm and drove Hwy 101 which is main freeway between San Francisco and San Jose during the rush hour. It was a 16 mile trip which took about 45 minutes. I was grateful for two things; I don’t make this trip every day and that my truck, even with it’s tired 350, never runs hot.

Have a great weekend everyone.
Rob
Attached Images

Last edited by LockDoc; 08-27-2018 at 12:25 AM.
el_fantasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 05:50 PM   #23
kwmech

Quote:

................... I took a couple of bites after getting home from my game last night. Within a hour I could really feel it, dizzy and brain just not working right. OK not for me. . . .

Have a great weekend everyone.
Rob
The cookies will do nearly the same thing if you try to stay awake. I'll munch on one if my back is really sore about 30-40 min. b4 bed. Brush my teeth and maybe put in a video in the TV
Old 08-27-2018, 06:14 PM   #24
el_fantasma

Hi guys
I think found a solution. I’m taking The Percocet every four hours and in between taking a drop from a tincture which contains about 10 mg of a combo of THC/CDB. In other words, I taking something, marijuana or Percocet, every two hours all day long. This means, at night I’m only sleeping two hours at a time but I can live with that for the next two weeks until the surgery. The alternative is to try and sleep four hours and wake up in pain. September 10 can’t come soon enough.

One final question, after surgery it will probably be about six weeks before I can drive my truck. Should I get someone to drive it once in awhile or will it be ok?

Thanks you all for your comments and good wishes.

Rob
Old 08-27-2018, 06:20 PM   #25
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Truck will be fine, might not hurt to throw it on a battery tender if you got one, just so she goes first rip when your ready.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote