The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-15-2017, 08:55 AM   #1
LBJ

Help on Floor Jack?

I have a floor jack I bought about 1985. Used it for years. I had to put it in storage for a few years, and when I got it out of storage two years ago, it had quit working. That is, it won't build any pressure. I checked the fluid level and added some, but still no pressure. I talked to a guy who rebuilds floor jacks and he said parts (O Ring Sets) for imports are very hard to find and match-up and he hates to even mess with them. Is anyone getting a floor jack rebuilt these days? This one is really solid and built like they used to build them years ago. I went ahead and bought a new one that works, but really isn't as heavy duty as the old one. I hate to get shed of it without a last gasp on some personal experiences on getting one rebuilt. Thanks for your comments. LBJ

When I took the photo, I pumped it up and the arm would rise, but go right back down. It's as if the port that locks down for pressure isn't sealing off. I twisted the handle pretty tight and still not maintaining pressure. Might be something simple?

Last edited by LBJ; 04-15-2017 at 09:19 AM.
LBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 06:47 AM   #2
dirtyjim

Re: Help on Floor Jack?

I've rebuilt a couple of then by just matching up and buying the individual seals and I've also got lucky and had other manufactures seal kits work. if you can match it up to another manufactures jack you can try ordering the kit for it.

I bought a couple of custom seal kits from this company too, if you have a set of calipers to measure the old seals they can fix you up a seal kit. http://www.hcrcnow.com/how-to-measure-seals
Old 04-16-2017, 09:55 AM   #3
Rickysnickers

There's a place here in San Diego that sells standard and metric o-rings, I'm sure you have one a little closer, but if not, here's a link to it, http://www.marshallshardware.com/category.aspx?uid=1552
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 08:11 PM   #4
Will Rotten

I just watched this and have decided to tear the guts out and take them to a shop. Time is money. I can save a little by tearing it down but then let someone else rebuild it. I have two of my dads floor jacks that are shot. I need them both and I only get to visit my project a few times a year.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4LZC4larTs
Will Rotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 10:06 AM   #5
LBJ

Thanks for the tips, all. I also watched some YouTube videos and they mostly wanted to point to the jack needing the air bled out. I tried that but may not have been thorough enough. Will take a look at that again when I get a couple of more things out of the way first.
LBJ is offline   Reply With Quote