The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-12-2013, 11:40 PM   #1
Critter
Future TOTM Winner

DIY windshield insallation

How many of you have installed your own windshield? I have been a part of a couple gasket style flat back glasses over the years on other vehicles but I was just the helper to the guy with more experience. I'm considering changing mine in the 72 myself. Please share your successes or failure stories if you don't mind. I have called 4 local auto glass places and 3 said they wouldn't do it. The one that said they would was over $500 which I thought was a little ridiculous. Mine is the simple black gasket style, no stainless steel trim.

Check it out www.lsdyno.com
Critter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 11:55 PM   #2
stomper

Re: DIY windshield insallation

I've done 3. All successes, but only after reading lots of posts here. You will find lots of horror stories but with a few tricks it can be done. Things that come to mind; put the gasket on the glass first, put clothesline chord in the gasket groove to use to pull the gasket over the pinch weld, use a generous amount of electrical conduit lube (home depot), set the glass/gasket square in the opening, start at the bottom center, do NOT pound on the glass with your fist. Upper corners are the most difficult.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:59 PM   #3
Classic Heartbeat
Project Junkie! Fishing Poor!!

What he said!! lol WES
Call us Toll Free (888) 338-2502
Like Us on Facebook
No appointment necessary.
72 BB Chevy Custom Deluxe / Custom Camper
67 I-6 (Soon to be 5.7 LS1) Panel
68 BB Chevy Short Bed
72 6.0 LQ9 Short Bed Chevy 4X4
Olympia's fastest growing truck parts supplier.
Olympia's home for Wayward Chevys
Classic Heartbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 12:15 AM   #4
truckster

A flat back glass is WAY different from a windshield. Besides the lack of curvature and the easy corners, the backlight is tempered, and very difficult to break. But if you want to try the windshield, here's a write-up I did a little while ago. I think it's the third post:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ght=windshield

And no disrespect to Stomper, but it's easier to start at the top on 67-72 Chevy/GMC trucks (and the old Jeep Wagoneers, too).
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 12:34 AM   #5
BMERDOC

Stomper is dead on but you can use foamy glass cleaner with equal success. I have done several windshields and it normally takes me a half hour to forty five minutes. I leave a loop at the bottom as well as the loop that is normally recommended at the top. I pull the rope to the upper corners and leave them for last. Just before I pull the upper corners in I push down the lower section so that it settles. When I pull the upper corners it almost drops in. You'll only have to pick out little sections that didn't fold out correctly after that. You can and probably will "slap" stubborn sections but never try to "pound" on them. You'll only be left with a broken glass. With a quality gasket you shouldn't need additional sealant. Go for it!
Attached Images

2WD C10 Modern/Performance Alignments
Easiest Alignment Ever!
BMERDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 12:39 AM   #6
Critter
Future TOTM Winner

Thanks guys, that's the kind of info I was looking for. For the record I realize the rear tempered glasses are easier than a windshield, that's the main reason I am a little hesitant. In the past I have seen people use soapy water to lubricate the gasket, has anyone on here done that?

Old 12-13-2013, 12:52 AM   #7
BMERDOC

I have used several methods to pull in a glass. Soapy water, silicone...foamy glass cleaner (aerosol in a can) is by far the easiest to clean up. The flat glass is the same as a windshield. You just have a few more obstacles to overcome.
2WD C10 Modern/Performance Alignments
Easiest Alignment Ever!
BMERDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 08:42 AM   #8
Sammy

For a lube I always used straight no water dish soap but always on a sunny hot 90 degree day to keep the seal soft, pliable and a helper or two.

"You can wash a pig, soak it in most expensive perfume. In the end it is still just a pig."

ODD BALL build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=478629"
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 08:53 AM   #9
RexDodge

All great advice here. I have done several with no issues. Here is a link to Precisions how to video...

RexDodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 09:19 AM   #10
westong

I decided to try and reuse my original gasket and do some tricks to make it soft and flex and ended up breaking the windshield. I never could get the original gasket to get very soft and should have never tried installing the window with it. I since have ordered a new gasket and will give it one more try....
westong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 10:08 AM   #11
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: DIY windshield insallation

When I had the truck painted 4 years ago I did the front and back windows with help from my daughter & son. The front I put the rubber gasket in a pot and started up my kerson heater and placed the rubber on it. Got it good and warm not boiling but close. Took it out and taped the trim to it and put the rope inside the groove. I soaped it up really good with regular dish soap and started the first time from the bottom up to let the weight of the windsheil be on the truck and not us holding it. Got about halfway done on the front and couldn't get the top corners in.
We poped it back out swapped the rope to the bottom and started from the top middel to the corners, I worked on the corners until I was happy and the rest went right in. The back was easy as pie no corners.
I had new gaskets from Steele rubber products.
Hasn't leaked one drop in 4 years!

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 10:44 AM   #12
Grumpy old man

WOW ! i've installed dozens and NEVER started at the top or used masking tape which looks like some remained in the gasket ! plus all that digging around with a hook tool will just lead to scratches and torn gaskets .

Just install your gasket on the glass and mark the center of glass and opening then lube the gasket and window opening using dish detergent center the glass on the bottom and start pulling rope from the center slowly out 6=8 inches each alternating each direction while the outside helper applies light pressure to the outside top of the glass this pressure and gravity will allow the window to fall into place with little effort and continue to pull rope outward until glass has set into the window frame all the while applying pressure to the top of the glass . I keep seeing guys in these videos pushing the gasket off the glass and onto the opening ridge and all that does is make it harder to get the glass back into the bottom of the gasket when you get to the top . There is no reason to move the gasket off the glass then try to get it back in . This isn't difficult and doesn't require force ,Alignment and lube will make it a breeze ! And leave the hook tool in the tool box . We used to install these type windshields for $75.00 with customer supplied gasket and glass .
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 03:33 PM   #13
Codez67Chevy

Sounds like it's a breeze Grumpy Old Man. Lol. I on the other hand have no idea what to do so I just pay someone. But there are things I like to do my self.

93' Toyota pickup 2WD 2dr and 32mpg. Daily driver. 300k+

Members I've met...
Mister-B
Codez67Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 03:53 PM   #14
Andy4639
Old member

Question Re: DIY windshield insallation

Quote:
=Grumpy old man.WOW ! i've installed dozens and NEVER started at the top or used masking tape which looks like some remained in the gasket ! plus all that digging around with a hook tool will just lead to scratches and torn gaskets.

Well I don't know why U say tape is there. I also don't know about any hook tool, I never said I used one. But I can assure U there is no tape left. I used the plastic knife the glass people use and it worked great. My gasket has no wrinkles in the top corner's as most do.
The picture was taken this past summer and the windshield was done 4 years ago so what tape are U talking about.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Old 12-13-2013, 04:11 PM   #15
Grumpy old man

ANDY , I wasn't referring to you or your truck ! I was referring to the video that was posted showing the precision guys installing a windshield , they used masking tape to hold the gasket on the windshield and as the video shows it ripped but some remained in the gasket .
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 04:15 PM   #16
tlcrz1972

I have always used vaseline for a lubricant.

I'm hesitant of using dish soap. I've always been under the impression that the soap can speed up the process of corrosion and rust problems.

But always start at the bottom center with both ends of the rope overlaping a few inches (but be sure to pull the correct one so as not to pull to opposite rope end) and pull easily with pressure on the outside pushing toward and downward (just a little bit) and the w-strip will seat onto the pinchweld just perfectly.
1972 Chevrolet Cheyenne LB 1/2 ton finished restoration/rebuild 1995 350 throttle body FI, 4L6E (running on modified GM wiring harness) 3.08 posi rearend, factory A/C on 134A, p/s, p/b, late 70's power windows and locks and cruise, speakers in the dash + 6x9's behind the seat, factory tilt, 40 gallon fuel tank in the bed with integrated tool box, air assist bags on the rearend, sway bar up front and much more.

1972 chevrolet SNB finished 2002, 350 TB FI, TH400, factory A/C, p/b, p/s, (FOR SALE)

1969 Chevrolet 1 ton in work, home made PTO dump bed extended frame, 350 CI ,

1972 Chevrolet 3/4 ton suburban future project

1972 Chevrolet 3/4 ton p/u maybe a project one day

1966 Toyota Landcruiser my playtoy
tlcrz1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 04:20 PM   #17
BugzC10

I installed new rear and front windshield. My wife was my helper. Buy the best seal, I used Precision seals. Also watched their installation video about 10 time. Might sound strange, but the most difficult time I had was putting the stupid seal on the glass. once I got past that hurdle I just followed the video steps. The only thing they don't show you in the video is what the guy is doing on the out side while the guy on the inside is pulling the seal over the pinch weld. The guy on the out side(or in my case my wife) was putting constant light pressure on the windshield. I was scared as hell that I would bust the glass, because I busted it while taking it out. Local shop wanted $150 labor to install.
Good luck, you can do it, just keep hard metal tools away from the glass edge.
Old 12-13-2013, 04:55 PM   #18
Critter
Future TOTM Winner

Awesome info guys, thanks!!! Sounds like it something that even an idiot such as myself should be able to tackle. One other question, it seems like 3 different windshields options are offered

1) completely clear
2) clear glass but with the shaded strip across the top (maybe 5" thick give or take)
3) solid tinted glass, greenish tint

Is that the case, am I reading everything correctly? If so I don't know which to get. I would lean towards the clear with the top shade but I don't know. I'm open to suggestions on this as well.

Last edited by Critter; 12-13-2013 at 05:07 PM.
Old 12-13-2013, 05:56 PM   #19
Andy4639
Old member

Lightbulb Re: DIY windshield insallation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
ANDY , I wasn't referring to you or your truck ! I was referring to the video that was posted showing the precision guys installing a windshield , they used masking tape to hold the gasket on the windshield and as the video shows it ripped but some remained in the gasket .
Ok, sorry!

I didn.t bother to watch it since I've done mine. My bad. I apoligize to U. I took as mine since I didn't see anything about the video in your reply so I took it as my post. I guess I should have watched it.
I used tape to hold it since my 17 & 20 year old son & daughter helped me. It was easier for them that way just putting pressure on it and not worring about the trim.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 12-13-2013, 07:47 PM   #20
truckster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critter View Post
Awesome info guys, thanks!!! Sounds like it something that even an idiot such as myself should be able to tackle. One other question, it seems like 3 different windshields options are offered

1) completely clear
2) clear glass but with the shaded strip across the top (maybe 5" thick give or take)
3) solid tinted glass, greenish tint

Is that the case, am I reading everything correctly? If so I don't know which to get. I would lean towards the clear with the top shade but I don't know. I'm open to suggestions on this as well.
You're almost right. There's clear (no tint), tinted (uniform green tint), and shaded (green tint with a dark blue band across the top). Shaded is not available with clear glass - I don't know of any manufacturer that's ever made them that way.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 07:57 PM   #21
Critter
Future TOTM Winner

Ok, I see. So what do most people go with? What did the factory offer in 72? This is something I've never put much thought into but now that I need to make a decision I don't know which to go with. Don't really want to regret which one I get. Thanks again.

Old 12-14-2013, 11:09 PM   #22
Critter
Future TOTM Winner

Anybody happy with or regret their choice when it comes to windshield tint/clear???

I'm in Texas where we have 100+ degree summers, will the overall tint help any with the heat?

Old 12-15-2013, 08:36 AM   #23
Andy4639
Old member

Wink Re: DIY windshield insallation

I did a smoke with tint up top. It helps some I guess. Side glass are also smoke along with the back. Had it all done when I painted the truck. The sides are nice. I guy in Ga did all of them.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 12-15-2013, 09:38 AM   #24
Sammy

Fully tinted windshield would be my choice in Texas. Knowing the harsh summer plays on the interior.

"You can wash a pig, soak it in most expensive perfume. In the end it is still just a pig."

ODD BALL build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=478629"
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 11:22 AM   #25
truckdude239

shoot the local glass shop installed my back glass and gasket for 75 dollars

1971 Chevy c-10 under going a 4.8l LSx swap

Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=421305

2007 Honda Accord my daily 145kmiles
2002 Honda Accord 4 door With 330k(sisters car)
2005 toyota Avalon 228k( brothers car)
2002 Sububran 5.3 245k
2000 Tahoe 5.3l 378

General manager for Marco's Carwash & lube
truckdude239 is offline   Reply With Quote