The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-04-2017, 06:40 AM   #1
bennylava

How do I kill this automatic function?

I have an 87 TBI 350 silverado. Which seems to pick and choose at random, when its going to engage that weird, higher RPM engine warming function. Its when the engine will idle higher, in some kind of seemingly unnecessary attempt to warm up... better? Faster?

I'm told that it has something to do with the cold, but it doesn't always do it when its really cold outside. It does it when there is... like an average temperature change. Here in TX I do not need the function. And its malfunctioning.

It won't do it in the summer, unless we get one of those rare cooler nights. Then it may do it. But as a general rule in the summer the truck won't do it. Its in the spring and the fall when its the worst. In the winter it doesn't really do it much either, although there are times when it will. Today I was sitting in the drive thru, and it was idling at 1500 rpm. I've seen it go to 1700 when its doing this. And its hard to get it to stop. It just decides all on its own when its going to stop, but this is usually after I've been driving for 10-20 minutes. Its really annoying and I'm sure people around me are wondering why my truck is making so much noise.

So how do you kill this ill conceived function? I don't need it, and I don't ever want to see it again. I just want the truck to always start up and idle the same.
bennylava is offline   Reply With Quote