The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-29-2014, 07:55 AM   #26
Jay2Cor517

Re: wheels rubbing lower control arm

Beaumont@, I have a few questions that I hope you can answer. A) Is the new piece overlayed on top the LCA? B) Around the ball joint "bezel" area, is it raised to be able to accommodate the ball joint. I guess in short, I could use the best description to be able to duplicate the technique. Thanks Man
Old 12-29-2014, 08:39 AM   #27
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaumont@ View Post
I ran into this problem with 3 in drop spindles and 15 in wheels so I had the gutters trimmed.
For piece of mind I boxed them as well.
If I could do it over I would have saved myself the hassle and just ran with 2 1/2 drop spindles, but hey it worked .
Trimmed for wheel clearance, boxed with 3/16" plate, all tig welded.
I think you would still have to do the same amount of clearancing with 2-1/2" drop spindles.
It's the 15" wheels with more than 3.5" of backspacinging that cause the issue.
But I do it to every c10 I drop with spindles,... regardless of wheel diameter.
You never know when you might have to bolt on a different set of wheels.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 09:12 AM   #28
Jay2Cor517

I have an '86 GMC 1/2 Ton, 15" rallye wheels. I'm the 2nd owner so I "assumed" these are stock. I'm about to install a Belltech 4-6 drop kit. I'm really concerned with SAFETY as far as the LCAs cracking or bending. Any help on how to strengthen them after I trim them is what I'm after. Thanks for the response LoLife99
Old 12-29-2014, 10:13 AM   #29
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2Cor517 View Post
I have an '86 GMC 1/2 Ton, 15" rallye wheels. I'm the 2nd owner so I "assumed" these are stock. I'm about to install a Belltech 4-6 drop kit. I'm really concerned with SAFETY as far as the LCAs cracking or bending. Any help on how to strengthen them after I trim them is what I'm after. Thanks for the response LoLife99
Plate the area w/some 3/16" where you trim the lip. Not necessary, but it would be where the arm if affected.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 11:09 AM   #30
Jay2Cor517

Thanks, Scoti. My kit is due to be delivered today so I'm hoping to knock all of this out this weekend.
Old 12-29-2014, 06:21 PM   #31
Jay2Cor517

FedEx delivered my Belltech kit today. I opened both boxes and did a quick inventory. I opened the instructions and came across this: "However, certain wheels with an extreme amount of backspacing (positive offset) will cause interference with an outer edge of the lower "A" frame. A small 5/16" wheel spacer is the best solution to the problem". This was in reference to GM 8" Rally Wheels. I was just gonna trim the LCAs, thoughts anyone?
Old 12-29-2014, 06:39 PM   #32
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Trim it.
The front track width is already wider than the rear without making it worse with 5/16" spacers,...

Convert to disc brakes.
Old 12-29-2014, 06:41 PM   #33
Jay2Cor517

This Newbie is very grateful, thanks again LoLife99
Old 04-06-2018, 12:02 PM   #34
Ronster66

I know this appears to be a "dead" thread, but hopefully some of you guys will see this and give your thoughts. I have gone through all of this on my '66. I ground back the gutters to gain clearance. I even had to grind a little casting flaw off of my brake calipers due to the stick-on wheel weights rubbing on top of the caliper. I'm running Centerline Convo Pro wheels 15x8.5 with 5" backspacing. In the photos you can see I have 1/8-3/16" clearance between the inside of the wheel and the lower control arm. I've been told this is "too close for comfort". I say clearance is clearance. Any thoughts?
Attached Images

Ronster66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 12:12 PM   #35
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronster66 View Post
I know this appears to be a "dead" thread, but hopefully some of you guys will see this and give your thoughts. I have gone through all of this on my '66. I ground back the gutters to gain clearance. I even had to grind a little casting flaw off of my brake calipers due to the stick-on wheel weights rubbing on top of the caliper. I'm running Centerline Convo Pro wheels 15x8.5 with 5" backspacing. In the photos you can see I have 1/8-3/16" clearance between the inside of the wheel and the lower control arm. I've been told this is "too close for comfort". I say clearance is clearance. Any thoughts?
My opinon is 5" backspace is perfect for 17" and larger diameter wheels,... but too much for 15" wheels.
I consider 4" the max backspace for any 15" wheel up front.

Put your truck on jack stands under the frame near the front cab mount.
Then use a floor jack to "cycle" the a-arms up and down.
I bet you get some rubbing hard on your wheel.
Also steer the truck left and right to see how that affects the contact points.

I would be looking for different wheels if I were you.

Convert to disc brakes.
Old 04-06-2018, 01:53 PM   #36
Ronster66

lolife99, thanks for the quick reply. Wasn't sure if I'd get a response on such an old thread. The truck is already up on jack stands so I can easily do as you've suggested and I have a feeling I'm going find exactly what you say I'll find. I'll let you know.

I started on this truck 30 years ago and put on the 2-1/2" drop spindles, disc brakes and my wheels/tires back in '93-'94. The truck has sat on the "back burner" for a lot of years due to marriage, house, kids, etc. I'm just now getting started back on it and sorting out some of the kinks. Unbelievable how much product availability and information on these trucks has changed in 30 years. Wish I would've had this website available back then.
Old 04-06-2018, 08:34 PM   #37
PGSigns

What you will find is a rub. Sitting like it is wont be to bad but when you steer i through the full arc I bet it will hit. You still need room for wheel deflection. I had 4" back spacing wheels and had problems. The last set for the front has 3". Good to see you are back at your truck.
Jimmy
1966 BBW long fleet Daily driver
1965 BBW short fleet Sold and going to a good home
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
PGSigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 09:27 PM   #38
Ronster66

Thanks, Jimmy. Yeah, kinda sick to my stomach right now. Looks like I'll be doing what lolife99 suggested...buying new wheels and tires. These Centerlines and Comp T/A's, while 20+ yrs old, have never touched anything other than the garage floor. I've exhausted about all the internet(s) has to offer as far as finding a different size Convo Pro for the front. Evidently Centerline discontinued them a while back. I've thought about trying one of the Super Chevy swap meets, but I think it's probably a "needle in the haystack" item.
Old 04-07-2018, 11:36 AM   #39
Ronster66

Okay, I tried the test, but the suspension didn't compress much before it started to lift the truck off the jackstands. I don't think it even reached the same point as if the truck were on the ground. I turned the steering lock to lock and spun the wheel and didn't seem to have any issues, but obviously this isn't the same as hitting a bump at highway speeds. Probably will still just have to go with 17" wheels.
Old 04-07-2018, 12:51 PM   #40
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

I was afraid the springs wouldnt compress.
The real test would be to do it with the front springs out,... but that’s a lot of work just to prove what we already know.
They will rub.

Convert to disc brakes.
Old 04-07-2018, 01:32 PM   #41
Ronster66

I agree. 17" wheels are in my future. $$$$ 😢😢😢