The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-21-2013, 10:04 PM   #1
66 C10 383

Castor Mod Questions

I was reading the Castor Mod thread that chevyrestoguy did and I think someone else also stated there was some type of mod that needed to be done so the top of the coil spring sits in the frame pocket correctly. I've searched and can't find any mention of what needs to be done to the frame pocket. Anyone have pics of what needs to be modified and how?

I'm planning on running the stock 66 crossmember with 73-87 upper and lower a-arms. While rebuilding the front suspension I'd like to do this mod while everything is apart. I'm planning on the Energy Suspension control arm bushings and moving the arms .75" forward.

I thought if I had these questions I'm probably not the only one. Here's the original write up.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=501241

Thanks
66 C10 383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:12 PM   #2
bdiamond

Re: Castor Mod Questions

To my knowledge nothing needs to be done to the spring pockets. I have done the mod on my blazer and all I had to modify was the rear lip of the crossmember. It needs to be cut to clear the arm at the shaft u-bolts.
bdiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:02 AM   #3
66 C10 383

Re: Castor Mod Questions

Okay, I knew about the crossmember clearance issue but I could have sworn I read someone say they had to modify the spring pocket somehow to get the spring to sit correctly. Didn't really make sense to me as the spring should conform to the slight angle from the lower arm moving forward .75". Maybe I misundersood, could be why I couldn't find anything when I did my search either ... LoL

Thanks for the reply!
66 C10 383 is offline   Reply With Quote