The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-29-2013, 01:35 AM   #101
spacedebris

Re: Zane's Ride

PPG makes just about anything you need for painting a car. IMO you cant go wrong with PPG.

SPECTRACRONŽ 315 High Build Primer Surfacer from PPG is the one favored by the guy I have doing my body work. Granted I havent painted the truck yet, but the repair he did looks fantastic.

I know this one is not specifically for automobiles but it does work great for that. But there are others specifically for auto paint. This one is for industrial uses and is just one that he works well with. Havent had any problems with automotive applications to date.

here is a before and after of the repair using the above primer

before....

after....

Last edited by spacedebris; 03-29-2013 at 01:43 AM.
spacedebris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:42 AM   #102
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I would use all PPG primer since that is the brand of paint and clear that 198plus offered to donate. PPG makes several different primers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zane'sMom View Post
I have been advised that when painting the truck we should stay within one brand. Does PPG make a high build primer and hardener, or can you get Sherwin Williams' 'Martin Senour'? We have a local source for this brand of primer, who may donate it, but want to keep within one brand.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:56 PM   #103
Zane'sMom

Good advice guys. Thank you!
Old 04-03-2013, 05:48 PM   #104
CRGRS 66

I have a customer who is willing and happy to help out with laser cutting the script "Zane's Ride" from stainless steel for me. I will just need to determine the font size before I can get them to program it in. They are slow right now so this is a good time to get this done.

Can you tell me, is this the dash that will be in the truck? If not, can you tell me (photo would be good) what dash will be used?
The drawing is from an earlier post by aerotruck, the photo is copied from canadianrustbuclets thread. Note the different fonts, I like the font from the drawing better myself...
Attached Images

My build thread, CRGRS 66 Winter Build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...09#post5638709
CRGRS 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:29 PM   #105
Zane'sMom

I like the drawing's font better too. I will check on the dash style tomorrow and get a photo to post. Thank you! It's interesting that you posted today; I was just looking through past posts on my thread last night and intended to send you a message!
Old 04-03-2013, 07:52 PM   #106
Zane'sMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRGRS 66 View Post
I have a customer who is willing and happy to help out with laser cutting the script "Zane's Ride" from stainless steel for me. I will just need to determine the font size before I can get them to program it in. They are slow right now so this is a good time to get this done.

Can you tell me, is this the dash that will be in the truck? If not, can you tell me (photo would be good) what dash will be used?
The drawing is from an earlier post by aerotruck, the photo is copied from canadianrustbuclets thread. Note the different fonts, I like the font from the drawing better myself...
I found a photo in my gallery 'Zane's Ride' posted 3-28 titled 'patch work begins' where the dash is visible. It is the same style as in the drawing you posted.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:49 AM   #107
Zane'sMom

Here is a scanned image of the build sheet. To me it looks better than the photo.
Attached Images

Old 04-04-2013, 11:50 AM   #108
Zane'sMom

It is also in my 'Zane's Ride' gallery; not sure how to view it larger here.
Old 04-06-2013, 12:37 AM   #109
Zane'sMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by 198plus View Post
I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your son. I Just wanted to say this thread has touched my heart, the kindness of others to help out is so amazing.
I would like to help out myself, please let me know the color code you decide on painting the truck and I'll furnish all the PPG paint and clear. Just let me know.......Thanks
Hey 198plus, where can we look up PPG color selection? Thanks.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:39 AM   #110
CRGRS 66

Hey Zane's Mom, just a little update for you. 1963c-10 is making a crayon impression of the glove box Chevrolet badge he has on his truck (same as the drawing we like above), scanning it, and emailing it to me. It should end up pretty much exactly the same size. I will send it to my guy, and ask him to send us the drawing of what he comes up with before cutting it. If he has a problem with the art work I have a close friend in the web design business, he will be able to do the art work. I also sent a PM to EVBuilder (he is about a half hour drive from me) to see if he would be willing to offer services of polishing the stainless steel emblem to a brilliant shine.

My build thread, CRGRS 66 Winter Build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...09#post5638709
CRGRS 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:33 AM   #111
da_bears_da1

Quote:
Hey 198plus, where can we look up PPG color selection? Thanks.
Just checked the PPG dealer locator and there is one in Fairbanks:

INTERIORS FAIRBANKS
3501 LATHROP ST UNIT C FAIRBANKS, AK 99701 US
907-451-8939

My build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=566533
da_bears_da1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:02 PM   #112
Zane'sMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRGRS 66 View Post
Hey Zane's Mom, just a little update for you. 1963c-10 is making a crayon impression of the glove box Chevrolet badge he has on his truck (same as the drawing we like above), scanning it, and emailing it to me. It should end up pretty much exactly the same size. I will send it to my guy, and ask him to send us the drawing of what he comes up with before cutting it. If he has a problem with the art work I have a close friend in the web design business, he will be able to do the art work. I also sent a PM to EVBuilder (he is about a half hour drive from me) to see if he would be willing to offer services of polishing the stainless steel emblem to a brilliant shine.
Thank you, Craigerrr!
Old 04-06-2013, 01:02 PM   #113
Zane'sMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_bears_da1 View Post

INTERIORS FAIRBANKS
907-451-8939
Thanks, da_bears!
Old 04-06-2013, 05:06 PM   #114
MARTYZ

Just tuning in,can't beleive I missed this one . Great story for a good cause, wish I was closer , love to help out. Keep the updates coming sure we can find someway to help, I am tuned in !
MARTYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:12 PM   #115
Zane'sMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTYZ View Post
Just tuning in,can't beleive I missed this one . Great story for a good cause, wish I was closer , love to help out. Keep the updates coming sure we can find someway to help, I am tuned in !
Thank you MartyZ and thanks for liking the facebook page!
Old 04-11-2013, 06:43 PM   #116
Zane'sMom

Great news! 2 local guys, one from an auto body shop and one from a paint dealer partnered up and donated primer and hardener for the project! Hooray! So my day started VERY well!
Old 04-11-2013, 08:12 PM   #117
Zane'sMom

Does anyone have an idea where we can get a windshield for the project? The one in the truck is cracked across. Are they still made, or do you have to get them from salvage?
Old 04-11-2013, 09:39 PM   #118
MARTYZ

classicparts.com has a listing for them not sure about stock, have you tried the local auto glass dealer they should be able to get one if they are available!
If you look in the vendor marketplace on this forum there are few supporting vendors there that have listings for windsheilds ect.

Last edited by MARTYZ; 04-11-2013 at 10:08 PM.
MARTYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:19 AM   #119
Zane'sMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTYZ View Post
classicparts.com has a listing for them not sure about stock, have you tried the local auto glass dealer they should be able to get one if they are available!
If you look in the vendor marketplace on this forum there are few supporting vendors there that have listings for windsheilds ect.
Thanks, Martyz! I also got your pm; I'll let you know what I find out.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:17 AM   #120
ddubbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_bears_da1 View Post

INTERIORS FAIRBANKS
907-451-8939
Carquest is a PPG dealer on peger rd.
Posted via Mobile Device
Projects
56 Chevy pickup Porterbuilt FR/RR dropmembers
ddubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:20 AM   #121
ddubbs

Quote:
Thanks, Martyz! I also got your pm; I'll let you know what I find out.
You can get those thru a local dealer. I would call frontier glass and ask to talk to Sam Slater. He is the owner and see if he can help out. If he can't let me know and I can make a few calls.
Posted via Mobile Device
Projects
56 Chevy pickup Porterbuilt FR/RR dropmembers
ddubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:09 PM   #122
Zane'sMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddubbs View Post
You can get those thru a local dealer. I would call frontier glass and ask to talk to Sam Slater. He is the owner and see if he can help out. If he can't let me know and I can make a few calls.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks, ddubbs!
Old 04-12-2013, 11:26 PM   #123
Zane'sMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by 198plus View Post
I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your son. I Just wanted to say this thread has touched my heart, the kindness of others to help out is so amazing.
I would like to help out myself, please let me know the color code you decide on painting the truck and I'll furnish all the PPG paint and clear. Just let me know.......Thanks
Hi 198plus. I have asked the instructors to have the students go by the local PPG dealer (Hi-Tec Auto Body Supply Company) to check out color selections so we can have some color codes for you early in the Fall. The school year ends next month here, and I dropped off primer and hardener at the school yesterday. Hopefully over the summer they can narrow down choices. Thanks!
Old 04-12-2013, 11:30 PM   #124
Zane'sMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
Is this truck going to have power steering and brakes?

If so, I will donate a set of my brackets to the build.
Hey, captain. Have not forgotten about your offer. I'll see when they will need brackets. Thanks!
Old 04-13-2013, 12:35 AM   #125
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Just let me know.

Quote:
Hey, captain. Have not forgotten about your offer. I'll see when they will need brackets. Thanks!
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote