The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-14-2016, 05:57 PM   #1
Vintage Racer

Missing Part, Need help with ID, Part # 1960 K10

I bought an entire truck to fix another, both 1960 K10 types, but I am now finding out I am still missing one important component.

Its the linkage between the steering arm and the arm on the left front spindle on a 1960 K10. Its just missing from the truck that had the left front tie rod end fail, and the truck I bought, someone cobbled up a linkage from a power steering unit they added from another 60-66 truck.

Anyone know any thing about the part number or what other years will work. I included a couple of shots of an original. The one that came on the truck I bought actually has a ball type joint welded on to it, both ends.

Hope to find an original type.

The one in the last photo appears to be a custom built one, and appears to have ball joint type end, unlike the original. I am not above fabricating one if its going to be that hard to find an original.

Thanks.

VR
Attached Images

Last edited by Vintage Racer; 10-14-2016 at 06:16 PM.
Vintage Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 06:50 PM   #2
padresag

Re: Missing Part, Need help with ID, Part # 1960 K10

the pitman arm is what comes off the sreeing box. the drag link is what runs between it and the steering arm that comes of the top of the k/pin area, I take it that the drag link is missing. if your pitman arm and the steering arm coming from the k/pin area are stock there should be a round knob(ball stud) coming off them". sometimes it is just better to show a picture of what you have or haven't got instead of this or that, then there is no room for misinterpatation . if so I may know of a couple of places where you can get a used one. the only problem now is that parts are hard to get for the ends. don't know if you can get replacement cups any more. due to lack of knowledge what a grease gun is anymore those areas get sadly neglected(these trucks were not built on lifetime parts. the ball stud and cups can get pretty worn and you can feel it in the steering until one day it locks up on you. you can get lucky and maybe get new ones. if you are going to upgrade your steering(later model p/s) then one would just convert over to newer stuff. if you are going to restore then you go with the ball stud and cups
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 08:55 PM   #3
Vintage Racer

To make things a bit more clear, the truck I am trying to get back on the road is in Illinois. I am in Sacramento Ca. My Dad who is 73 is trying to help me. The deal is the truck had the left front tie rod end broke 30 plus years ago while driving. It broke the front axle housing, and the left front spindle and related parts were also badly damaged. Then my Brother looked around for a short while for the parts but gave up and left it for dead. I traded for the truck right after he stopped looking for the parts, and really wanted to restore it, then. When I completed my end of the trade, he would not give me the title, and my Dad said I couldn't have the truck until I got the title. Well this summer after the death of my Mom, I finally have the title.

My Dad isn't internet/smart phone/texting savvy. What I have is another front axle out of another 1960 K10 I bought that was in rough shape. Its complete but the rod from the steering arm to the arm on the front spindle is a cobbled up mess, after some one put power steering on the truck that I bought for parts. The original one from the truck in Illinois is missing. It could have been damaged when the tie rod on the left front wheel let go. I don't know. That was 30 years ago, and no one knows what happened to it. My Dad said the stand off with the ball shaped ends are there on the steering arm and on the broken left front spindle.

I am not against fabricating one. Hoping to get some ideas from other who have done it.

The plan is ship the axle I have here in that truck, to get it shipped back here to Sacramento.
Old 10-14-2016, 11:53 PM   #4
padresag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Racer View Post
To make things a bit more clear, the truck I am trying to get back on the road is in Illinois. I am in Sacramento Ca. My Dad who is 73 is trying to help me. The deal is the truck had the left front tie rod end broke 30 plus years ago while driving. It broke the front axle housing, and the left front spindle and related parts were also badly damaged. Then my Brother looked around for a short while for the parts but gave up and left it for dead. I traded for the truck right after he stopped looking for the parts, and really wanted to restore it, then. When I completed my end of the trade, he would not give me the title, and my Dad said I couldn't have the truck until I got the title. Well this summer after the death of my Mom, I finally have the title.

My Dad isn't internet/smart phone/texting savvy. What I have is another front axle out of another 1960 K10 I bought that was in rough shape. Its complete but the rod from the steering arm to the arm on the front spindle is a cobbled up mess, after some one put power steering on the truck that I bought for parts. The original one from the truck in Illinois is missing. It could have been damaged when the tie rod on the left front wheel let go. I don't know. That was 30 years ago, and no one knows what happened to it. My Dad said the stand off with the ball shaped ends are there on the steering arm and on the broken left front spindle.

I am not against fabricating one. Hoping to get some ideas from other who have done it.

The plan is ship the axle I have here in that truck, to get it shipped back here to Sacramento.
you make your dad sound like he is old. he is only 2 years older than I am.
what do you mean by a broken spindle. I do have a set of 4 x 4 spindles from a 64, may be the same
ron
Old 10-15-2016, 12:03 AM   #5
Vintage Racer

Not sure if spindle is correct. Here is the carnage from the truck thats at my Dads place in Illinois. The one I want to restore.

My Dad is doing fine, but he doesn't like Chevrolet much. He's a Ford guy. He seems to be enjoying working on the 1960. The motor hasnt run in 30 years. Its stuck, turn a bit and stops. It has a couple of stuck valves at the moment. Trying to free them up with some PB Blaster oil.
Attached Images

Old 10-15-2016, 12:08 AM   #6
Vintage Racer

Here is the axle I pulled from the 1960 K10 I bought for parts. You can see the drag link there, the one someone fabbed up, but i do not know if it will work with the original 1960 steering box arm. I am just trying to make sure I have all I need when I ship the axle back to my Dads place, as I will travel home after the axle arrive there in illinois to install it.
Attached Images

Old 10-15-2016, 12:13 AM   #7
Vintage Racer

Here is my Dad, Homer, and my Moms dog, Sam. I was home recently, we did some fishing.
Attached Images

Old 10-15-2016, 12:21 AM   #8
Vintage Racer

This is the 1960 K10 I bought to save mine. Lot of the original parts are missing on this truck. But the axle was what I really needed, to get mine to at least be ship able. The turquoise one is the one I hope to restore. It will be allot of work.
Attached Images

Old 10-15-2016, 12:29 AM   #9
padresag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Racer View Post
Here is my Dad, Homer, and my Moms dog, Sam. I was home recently, we did some fishing.
I am just teasing you about your dad'
your orig housing is toast. the spindle on these bolts onto the ouside of the backing plate. the axle stup runs thru it. the frt hub and bearings run on it.
more than likely the reason for that newer style drag link is that the truck that it was on had an updated poer steering box and the modified the end of the steering arm off the k/pin spot to take the new end
i would check the ratio in the black one to see if it matches up and put it in. take the steering arm of the old one and put it on the newer one and find yourself an orig drag link. perhaps one of those 2 address that I gave has one
ron
Old 10-15-2016, 12:35 AM   #10
Vintage Racer

The front axle has the 3.92 ratio. I was worried about that at first. I did not realize we were missing the drag link. The donor truck has a 327, and power steering. Its all modified. Also has some weird transmission installed in front of the original transfer case.
Attached Images

Old 10-15-2016, 12:38 AM   #11
Vintage Racer

They are coupled directly together, and share a oil tank.
Attached Images

Old 10-15-2016, 12:41 AM   #12
Vintage Racer

It also has a Dana 60 in it.
Attached Images

Last edited by Vintage Racer; 10-15-2016 at 01:00 AM.
Old 10-15-2016, 12:46 AM   #13
Vintage Racer

The shifter linkages for the Rockwell transfer case are not connected now. I have no idea what they were doing with this setup. The mount is well fabricated it appears. Very strong. The guy I bought the truck from said they were trying to build a deer hunting truck. They also cut a sunroof hole in a very rust free cab. Ruined it.
Attached Images

Last edited by Vintage Racer; 10-15-2016 at 12:59 AM.
Old 10-15-2016, 01:09 AM   #14
padresag

it has to be some sort of o/drive or auxillary unit that has been put in there
ron
Old 10-15-2016, 02:22 AM   #15
jtrichard

Quote:
Originally Posted by padresag View Post
it has to be some sort of o/drive or auxillary unit that has been put in there
ron
YES thats what it is old school mid box with OD most likely .....IF you dont want it lets TALK
jtrichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 04:28 AM   #16
Vintage Racer

I definitely will not use it. I just an original 60 K10.
Old 10-15-2016, 12:53 PM   #17
andyh1956

Man that's wild! What kinda thinking makes a person install an aux gearbox IN FRONT of the transfer case??? I am always amazed at what the Bubbas out there can do. Anyway I know where a '64 k20 military ambulance is junked out & the drag link from it may work on your truck. Let me see if I can get up with "Crazy Eddie" next week & I'll get back to you.
andyh1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 01:02 PM   #18
padresag

they wanted a deep reduction so that they could go anywhere and a bunch of gears inbetween that they couldn't get out of the t221. there is that big gap in a sm420 between 1st and 2nd. this would certainly fill it in for them them
ron
Old 10-15-2016, 02:15 PM   #19
jtrichard

With the mid box in front of the transfer case you would have 10 gears forward (with a ton of combinations) and 4 reverse in 4 wheel drive If it was behind the transfer case then you would ONLY have the extra gears in 2 wheel drive
jtrichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 05:10 PM   #20
Vintage Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyh1956 View Post
Man that's wild! What kinda thinking makes a person install an aux gearbox IN FRONT of the transfer case??? I am always amazed at what the Bubbas out there can do. Anyway I know where a '64 k20 military ambulance is junked out & the drag link from it may work on your truck. Let me see if I can get up with "Crazy Eddie" next week & I'll get back to you.

OK sounds great. I have a couple leads as well from Ron.

VR