The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-28-2017, 01:54 PM   #1
Randymeyers

tilt wheel shift selector bulb replacement

Help please.

Mine is a 72 Chevy Cheyenne C20 that I'm trying to replace the shift selector bulb on. I've removed the shift selector to get at the bulb location but find a metal protrusion above where the bulb goes in which prevents insertion of the bulb (see photos). I've seen an old thread showing great pictures but the metal thingy isn't in those pictures. I don't see that it performs any particular function. Does anyone know what it is, why its there and/or otherwise how to replace the bulb? Can I remove it without some problem?

Also, according to the old pictures, I'm missing the bullet shaped metal bulb cover and the green cap. A question was posed in the old thread about where one might find those items but received no answer. Anyone out there have an answer now? Thanks.
Attached Images

Randymeyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 05:34 PM   #2
FirstOwner69

Re: tilt wheel shift selector bulb replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randymeyers View Post
Help please.

Mine is a 72 Chevy Cheyenne C20 that I'm trying to replace the shift selector bulb on. I've removed the shift selector to get at the bulb location but find a metal protrusion above where the bulb goes in which prevents insertion of the bulb (see photos). I've seen an old thread showing great pictures but the metal thingy isn't in those pictures. I don't see that it performs any particular function. Does anyone know what it is, why its there and/or otherwise how to replace the bulb? Can I remove it without some problem?

Also, according to the old pictures, I'm missing the bullet shaped metal bulb cover and the green cap. A question was posed in the old thread about where one might find those items but received no answer. Anyone out there have an answer now? Thanks.
I'm not sure what that is in your picture. You may have to pull the column sleeve to find out what's going on in there. If the bulb is missing, you should see a socket.

Below is a picture showing the parts that are above the light socket. The steel cap needs to be removed to change the bulb. It just lifts off. The purpose of the cap with the slot is to direct the light toward the shift indicator. Obviously, the green filter is to match the greenish lighting from the instrument cluster.

I'm not sure where to get the pieces you have missing, but there are a few members here who restore these columns and could possibly help. Two who come to mind are 70shortfleet and KevsClassics.
Attached Images

Last edited by FirstOwner69; 09-28-2017 at 10:53 PM.
FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 08:57 PM   #3
chewychevy67

It holds the teeth part of the tilt in place. It should be pushed in flush with the metal. Not sure why it isn't. You could go ahead and tap it in flush but myself I would remove the top sleeve to see why it is out.
chewychevy67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 03:26 PM   #4
Randymeyers

Thanks for the help guys. Explains what's going on.
Randymeyers is offline   Reply With Quote