The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-10-2018, 10:33 PM   #1
68bowtie

Craigslist scammerz

I have bought and sold a lot of things on craigslist, and I’ve come to expect you just have to deal with the scammers. I have a few of the fake cashiers checks because it can be fun messing with them and giving them funny names. I had a weird interaction today. Normally once they realize you’re messing with them they disappear. But this guy kept going. And he found my name online. Creepy. Anyone else experience this?

Name:  ADE07561-2E0D-409B-9C20-3ADE1AF7D795.jpg
Views: 701
Size:  79.7 KB

Name:  1116D4BB-8A01-4F17-8E9E-A518A4A07A75.jpg
Views: 608
Size:  69.2 KB

Name:  3BBDF4A6-5E48-4294-9808-A97958189398.jpg
Views: 616
Size:  71.0 KB

Name:  D04441D2-1D65-4E97-B620-1ECE721B6926.jpg
Views: 608
Size:  67.7 KB

Project "Little Sister" (70 c10 blue original paint refresh)
Project "C10 Fever" (68 factory black 396 swb)
Project "Blue Bomb" (70 c30 blue original paint refresh)
Project "Vitamin C" (71 c10 orange original paint refresh)
68bowtie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 11:22 PM   #2
truckster

Re: Craigslist scammerz

I had one of my students get scammed by a real slick operator last week. He was selling a camera, a cell phone, and a printer for $1000. A guy arranged to meet him and pay him cash. The buyer pulled out a bank envelope (the kind they put your cash in) and counted out the $1000, put it back in the envelope, and handed the envelope to my student. Once he got home and reached in the envelope he realized immediately it was counterfeit.
Old 04-11-2018, 12:01 AM   #3
greasemonkey

I only buy from Craigslist now. Selling is such a pain that I've actually just started recycling and scrapping stuff that I could make money on. I had a set of tires I put on there for FREE, the size was in the title and body of the ad. A thousand emails like How much? What size? Can you deliver them? No, it is a free set of usable tires. I will put them at the end of my driveway by the road. After the first handful of people flaked out, I just told everyone where to get them and didn't care about the order in which people responded. 3 days later, the tires were still sitting there. I paid a tire shop to take them off my hands. Ad deleted, and 5 days later someone asked if I still had the tires. How does that happen? They saved a screenshot? That's not creepy.
I tried to sell a car on Craigslist once. I thought people were exaggerating about scammers until that point. Not anymore.
1987 Jimmy
2004 Tahoe
2005 Silverado 1500
2005 Silverado 3500
greasemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 08:50 AM   #4
Popcorn W

I've had a LOT of experience with eBay (see sales totals below)
I used to work part time at a muscle car restoration and sales shop. One of my duties was selling on eBay.
I've been a eBay member for a long time. When I first joined, sellers were able to give feedback to buyers, but they changed that to where sellers can't give anything except positive feedback for any reason. It used to be if a winning bidder didn't pay, you could leave a non-paying-bidder strike and it would show up on their record. Then they stopped that. So, now if you don't receive payment you have to wait for a week, then relist for free. But you've wasted a week.
I see lots of members here who bad mouth eBay but seeing some of the comments I'd guess some of them have never actually tried selling on eBay.
I still think it's the best place to sell anything that can be shipped.
Attached Images

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=659205
"I love the smell of grinding metal"
Popcorn W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 09:17 AM   #5
special-K
Special Order

You'e probably right, and that's the reason you have to give Ebay and PayPal such a huge chunk of your money and the reason I have yet to sell there. I have sold on Craigslist, here, at swap meets, Hemmings, Old Cars, Roundup, word of mouth, local paper, and have found them all very good ways to sell, making paying Ebay so much to list my things I have never found a need to deal with them. I know how to handle a deal, buying or selling, and have some entertaining stories but no bad experiences.

I literally just came from listing some windows and skylights on Craigslist. I didn't post locally, I posted in the Guana Crraiglist to see if I get any local scammers
Seriously, I was thinking as I posted it, let's see how this goes. I'll fill you all in later. Here we go!

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 03:32 PM   #6
68bowtie

$1,950 for the used printer I listed...

Name:  EE5F1B3D-1917-40A4-98E5-B5D132CDB04F.jpg
Views: 467
Size:  46.6 KB

Old 04-25-2018, 03:33 PM   #7
leddzepp

Try and cash it

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 03:36 PM   #8
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

^

Next time use "Justin Credible"

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 03:51 PM   #9
ratrod67

I would post a pic of the check I got but the name isn't so nice that it's made out to lol
ratrod67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 05:01 PM   #10
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

WOWEE!!!! That must be a nice printer!

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 11:20 PM   #11
a1vintage69

I was told this story by the man that it happened to!.
He responds to a craigslist ad . A Corvette he's been wanting. Cash only deal. Shows up at the sellers address, nice neighborhood very nice house. knocks on the door, it opens, come in . as soon as he steps in he realizes the house is empty and the guy sticks a gun in his face and demands the cash. Buyer had left his gun in his truck and gives the thief the envelope with the cash. Out the back door into the ally the crook jumps in his getaway car in the meantime victim is already in his rig giving chase and caught him at an intersection and the guy swerves at him. Victim fires a couple rounds into the thief then forces him over and calls police. The thief got lucky and the victim did not finish him off. after the investigation the Police determined it was self defence. somehow The victim is not charge with any crime for shooting the crook and the thief will never walk again, he was hit in the spine and I believe he got less than he deserved.
Always remember when a guy pulls a gun on you and you pull out yours there is usually gun fire.
a1vintage69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 11:45 PM   #12
68bowtie

Bump.

Name:  22846DA1-6976-49F3-A99F-10B8A89D1C3B.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  42.8 KB

Old 01-24-2019, 12:29 AM   #13
Red71gmc

I tried craigslist once and just couldn't deal with the scams and wasted time replying to no shows. I think it is apparently mandatory to offer half price by text but ask no questions about condition or the item for sale. I guess their flippers but I think I would at least ask condition first.
I had numerous people saying they were coming at a specified time to buy a pickup bed. No one after 3-4 buyers ever showed. I was frustrated and a guy from a neighboring state offered my full price if I held it till the weekend. I told him I wouldn't hold for anyone after all the no shows and he sent full payment next day mail. I actually felt bad being such an ass to the guy but he apparently knew the frustrations and was a straight shooter. I guess he could tell talking to me I wasn't a scammer or a very trusting guy.
Red71gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 12:58 AM   #14
'63GENIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
^

Next time use "Justin Credible"

or "Pat McGroyn"

'63 k15 long step
Vortec 7.4 - L29 Blackbear tune, Five 0 Motorsports injectors, Chris Straub Cam, NV4500, divorced 205
52" front and 63" rear spring swap
D44 / 14bff - disc axles
Milemarker 9K and 10.5K hydraulic winches

63" & B52 Spring Install http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ng+swap+thread

NV4500 Reverse Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=reverse+build

L29 - 7.4 Vortec Build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&highlight=L29
'63GENIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 02:58 AM   #15
RustyPile

Quote:
Originally Posted by '63GENIII View Post
or "Pat McGroyn"
Or, Phil Musplit...
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 08:33 AM   #16
special-K
Special Order

I got in a car and drove to work one day. There were so many bad drivers I went back home and now don't drive. So some here tried Craigslist once or twice and swore off it because there are scam attempts, which couldn't be more obvious to ignore, and flakey people out there? Those flakey people are anywhere you go to sell. Ebay has shill bidders and deadbeat bidders, swap meets have all the "I'll be backs", "I'll think about its", and "woojatakes", and this place has the "I'll take it's" before they see the picture or know shipping cost who back out when they get those.

I have no complaints with Craigslist. I list a well thought out ad, get e-mail responses, get a buyer to come buy at time set forth, I get my money, they leave with the item. I haven't had any scam attempts in years, now that I think about it. Ignoring e-mails is just too easy, though. I must be on their no call list . I have people give me things they were going to toss out. I list them on Craigslist and sell them for my asking price to people glad to pay. I think Craigslist is a wonderful thing, and it's FREE.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 09:36 AM   #17
68bowtie

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I got in a car and drove to work one day. There were so many bad drivers I went back home and now don't drive. So some here tried Craigslist once or twice and swore off it because there are scam attempts, which couldn't be more obvious to ignore, and flakey people out there? Those flakey people are anywhere you go to sell. Ebay has shill bidders and deadbeat bidders, swap meets have all the "I'll be backs", "I'll think about its", and "woojatakes", and this place has the "I'll take it's" before they see the picture or know shipping cost who back out when they get those.

I have no complaints with Craigslist. I list a well thought out ad, get e-mail responses, get a buyer to come buy at time set forth, I get my money, they leave with the item. I haven't had any scam attempts in years, now that I think about it. Ignoring e-mails is just too easy, though. I must be on their no call list . I have people give me things they were going to toss out. I list them on Craigslist and sell them for my asking price to people glad to pay. I think Craigslist is a wonderful thing, and it's FREE.
Exactly. If you set your expectations very low it can be very tolerable. Kind of like going to disneyland.

Old 01-24-2019, 10:01 AM   #18
RustyPile

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post

You're so right.. Flakes are EVERYWHERE.. Even in the Post Office parking lot.. Maybe this scammer thing is regional. Except for an occasional tire kicker, I've had nothing but good experience with Craigslist. About a year ago, I decided to sell my '07 Ranger.. Placed a sign in the window listing basic info and price.. One day I came out of the Post Office and found a middle aged woman scoping out my truck.. I walk up and introduce myself and ask her if she's interested.. She said her husband sure was.. We talked probably 15 - 20 minutes and I even went with her as she took it for a spin around the parking lot.. She left leaving me with the promise that her husband would be getting in touch with me.. A week passed and I never got that call, so I listed the truck on Craigslist along with a detailed description, price, and numerous photos.. A couple days later I sold the truck to the first caller.. He showed up to look at the truck at the appointed place and time.. Bought it on the spot for the listed price.. Over the years, I listed several items on Craigslist and most of the ads resulted in immediate sales.. I once placed an ad for a washing machine and 15 minutes after the ad posted I got a call.. A half hour later the buyer and his wife showed up with a truck, tie-down straps and cash in hand.. He never haggled a penny over the price.. After we had the machine loaded I tossed him a pair of stainless steel braided water hoses just to sweeten his deal..
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 12:08 PM   #19
Red71gmc

I think I'm better suited as a buyer from craigslist and not a seller. I guess I'm fussy but I don't have the patience to deal with scammers. Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses. I will certainly admit that the patience needed dealing with scammers, I am weak on.
With knowing that about myself, I do pay others a commission that have the aptitude for it. It ends up being a win-win for everyone and I am a little less grumpy getting things sold. Well, just a little less. Lol
Red71gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 06:54 PM   #20
shp4man

I've sold a bunch of stuff on CL. I never let them know where I live, only take cash, and meet them in a busy shopping center parking lot.
You can kind of tell the Craigslist idiots from the phone calls.or texts.
You know, the "still have it?" guys and lowballer wackos.
Old 01-24-2019, 11:43 PM   #21
treveiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by shp4man View Post
I've sold a bunch of stuff on CL. I never let them know where I live, only take cash, and meet them in a busy shopping center parking lot.
You can kind of tell the Craigslist idiots from the phone calls.or texts.
You know, the "still have it?" guys and lowballer wackos.
Right here, this is what I do also. I also contact them right before the meet up time. They don't respond then I won't show.
Old 01-27-2019, 09:51 AM   #22
dirtyjim

I've bought and sold on both ebay and craigslist. good and bad on both of them. for the most part all of my buying experiences were good. selling is about 50/50 on both. I haven't sold on ebay in a couple years but the last couple of years I did sell it seemed like everyone wanted a partial refund when I had pictured and described every detail and every fault of an item and even put in the description that if you weren't 100% satisfied that I would do a full refund including shipping both ways and no partial refunds.

I have only sold a few items on craigslist, the last thing I sold was a tig welder and it sold within an hour of being posted. I tried to sell a underdash ac setup for early 60's ford cars and made the mistake of putting that I would consider trades for 67-72 chevy truck parts. I listed it cheap and didn't get a single off to buy it or and offers to trade for truck parts, what I got was a bunch of offers to trade for $20 fishing poles, a vacuum cleaner, junk Chinese toys and a lot of other random trash. the only one I even considered was an offer to trade for what the guy described as an old red wagon. when I asked for a pic it was the same plastic junk wagon that Walmart sells and the guy got all bent out of shape that I didn't want it
Old 01-27-2019, 01:03 PM   #23
richard2717
Equal opportunity joke ofender

I thought I had been dealing with a scammer since last Sept. I had 2 genie lifts for sale and this guy has been texting me since Sept wanting to buy them. Never would commit to a date. He texted me again Friday wanting to come look at them and I told him I was only going to be around for the next two hours if he wanted to come look at them. He told me he would be there at 4 which gave him an hour to spare. At 415 he still wasn't here so I figured he flaked again but figured I would give him till 5. He actually showed up a few minutes later with a buddy but no way to haul them so i figured he was going to try and beat me up on price 1st. I met him outside and we talked a couple minutes and I told him that I was firm on the price. He said he wanted to see them so I brought him in. He looked them over and said I will take em if I can come back tomorrow with the trailer. I helped him load them yesterday. It also turned out he was right here in town as well and has had small business growing pains like a lot of us. In the end we were both happy with the deal.
Dually Jams, OlBlue60, ScottH, Tommyboy24, Dujobo, Warbucket, 2003 Silverado, Notsolo, my90k5, 6t727t2, Special-K ,Jack_71C10, tabarcus,72blazer_mud_bogger,pwdcougar,RSavage,EricSean,1Rippen6,invicta455,tennaragtop71,arks, Kendal,Bennett68C10, Perpendicular, Chainsawman, McGeesCustomMinis,ShortbedClayton,longblue72,6768chevylover,Tim71,Travisarmenta,Ol' Drippy,fleetmitch,georgieb51,Dave,bcnya2,Dadsburb
https://paypal.me/6772GMtruckparts
Most women like the strong, silent type… Fortunately for me, my wife prefers the out-of-shape, mouthy type.
richard2717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 01:43 AM   #24
cornerstone

I've learned to just have fun with them most of the time. There so easy to spot so I like to play the idiot and drag them on as long as I can, trying to waste as much of their time as I can, and thus save someone else from the scum bags. Other times I just say it like it is... " You do know that God Almighty sees your attempts to steal from the ignorant, and will judge the thief... right?" Usually that one gets no response.

1972 C10, "Loyd", LWB to SWB, 5.3, L83/6L80e, 4:11 Tru Trac, Air Ride, VA, DD, 20" Coys, 4 wheel disc, A quick LS swap turned into a 6 year frame off resto-mod.
cornerstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 02:16 PM   #25
Greg58

I recently listed a 2007 Suburban on CL, 75% of the responses I got were scammers.
Most I recognized right away, but I got a couple new angles thrown at me.
One wanted me to send a title/history report through a company I never heard of, and of course they sent a link. I strung that guy along for some time, telling him to bring cash and come look at it. He kept saying he would schedule a time after I fullfilled the "report".
The other asked vague questions like how old is the battery? That one ended up being a service that guaranteed they could sell it for my asking price, I told them to bring cash and I would sell it for less, and they could make some money.
I never used to reply to text messages and that seems to be how most scammers operate. My son switched to Facebook Buy, sell, trade and has better luck.
1987 Chevy Suburban 2500, Silverado, 2wd, 454, t-400
2023 Chevy Silverado LT 3500, crew cab, longbox, 4x4 Z-71 Duramax.
Greg58 is offline   Reply With Quote