The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-12-2013, 03:55 PM   #1
Psycho71

'06 Duramax with multiple problems

It's our shop truck, dually flatbed.

Started running like carp last week, so I was asked to see what the problem was. I OBD'd it and found over a dozen codes. Multiple glow plug codes, egr code, turbo codes, MAF code, and a couple more.

Truck has 94k miles on it. Very few long trips with heavy loads. The bulk of its life has been short trips around town with light loads. It even sits inside the shop at night.

So are these power plants that sorry? We're looking at over $5k to get everything repaired at the local dealership, turbo replacement included. All on a diesel engine that should barely be broken in at this point.

I've read up about the injector problems and overheating issues that these motors had early, but this amount of stuff going wrong this early in its life is just ridiculous! I've even searched, but the only lawsuits I can find were injector related, on the earlier model d-max engines.

What are others seeing from their D-max engines? Can we expect more of this in the future? If so, I think it's time we cut the chord and look into another make of diesel.

Thanks for any input or advice.

If a hammer doesn't fix it, you have an electrical problem!

Slot Cars, 1:24 Scale, 100MPH@100,000RPM, fastest things on wheels!
Psycho71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 08:53 PM   #2
clinebarger

Re: '06 Duramax with multiple problems

Can you give the actual code numbers?

I'm guessing the "turbo code" is for a stuck Unison Ring that controls the variable vanes....Very, Very common on trucks that are short tripped a lot, The Turbo DOES NOT need to be replaced.....Remove turbo & clean unison ring. All current Big Three diesel engine have Variable geometry turbos, So this can be a problem no matter what brand truck you have.

Glow plugs go bad on ALL Diesels (Cummins doesn't use glow plugs), They are easy to change & cheap.

I blocked My EGR & tuned out all EGR codes with HP-Tuners....Cheaper than buying ANY EGR components!

The MAF sensor needs cleaning every once in awhile, If the EGR valve is stuck open it will cause MAF sensor codes.

The '06 & '07 LBZ Duramax engines are really good. It will not take 5K to fix it, The dealer is trying to bend you over on BS repairs...Some you probably don't need.

Post the codes & go from there, Or take it to a actual diesel repair shop that FIXES trucks not just throw parts at it.

My '06 has 293,000 miles on it....The engine has never been open, All injectors are original, Turbo has never been off & I drive the **** out of it.
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 11:15 PM   #3
lowridergmc

i agree take that truck to a shop that has experience with that engine.are you sure you dont have a ecm concern or a 5v ref issue.cant see all these issues happening at once
lowridergmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 12:40 AM   #4
MadManAndrew

Cline is spot on. My '02's at 284k miles and has had very minimal work. A set of injectors and a couple cooling system parts.

BTW, you only live about twenty minutes from me. Let me know if you find a good diesel shop around here. So far the best guy I've found is my local mechanic. He's not too knowledgable but he's smart enough to figure it out.
Old 12-13-2013, 12:41 AM   #5
Pro Performance

I have had a few duramaxes, and haven't had much issues, other than a glow plug on my '08 I used to have. I am surprised to see that many issues, and the LBZ's ('06 and classic '07's) are supposed to be some of the best ones around.... before they starting putting all the smog stuff on these engines. Of course the new ones make some great power right off the lot. I don't have much input on the codes, but to answer your questions on what other are seeing..... my 2005 has 197,000 on it, and runs very well. Took it from Az to Tx pulling a trailer when we did the GoodGuys show in October, and worked like a champ.

Seems like Clinebarger has some good knowledge on these trucks, and made some good suggestions. Usually the dealer is quick to change and do more things than you need. After you get the codes all squared away, some good routine maintenance goes a long way to keep these engine running for many miles.
Pro Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 02:05 PM   #6
Psycho71

Codes it threw;
P0108
p003a
p0672
p0676
p0234
p0673
p2563
u0100
p0108
p0403
p0676
p0672

We've been asking around for a good diesel mechanic. Have a few references so far. Will probably get it to one of them early next week. I had a feeling the dealership was trying to gouge us.

Old 12-13-2013, 02:20 PM   #7
Psycho71

Codes it threw;
P0108
p003a
p0672
p0676
p0234
p0673
p2563
u0100
p0108
p0403
p0676
p0672

We've been asking around for a good diesel mechanic. Have a few references so far. Will probably get it to one of them early next week. I had a feeling the dealership was trying to gouge us.

Old 12-14-2013, 11:20 PM   #8
clinebarger

P0108
p003a These codes point toward a stuck or sticking Unison ring, The way the
p0234 truck is driven is a good clue.
p2563

u0100 I Ignore this code if it's not reoccurring, Low battery voltage can cause U codes.

p0403 Ignore at this time, Sort out turbo issues first, I highly recommend Blocking the EGR & have it tuned out.

P0672
P0673 Glow plugs on Cylinders #2, #3, & #6 are bad.
P0676
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 12:02 AM   #9
riiano

from what I have seen not a lot of the light duty dealers have very little experience on the diesel engine. If you can find a shop that used to be a medium duty dealer you would probably find a mechanic with some experience on this engine.
riiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 09:03 AM   #10
nekkidhillbilly

the engine is the only thing i do like about mine
1984 k20
nekkidhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 09:05 AM   #11
nekkidhillbilly

sticking unison ring is usually help by the egr. block that thing is only 10 bucks for the plate.
1984 k20
nekkidhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 04:02 PM   #12
buddy_1

Checking the code descriptions, I agree with clinebarger ignore the U0100 for now. P0234 ask if there are any other codes and to go there first. P0108 can be set due to other the engine or turbo not operating properly. P0672, P0673 & P0676 are bad glow plugs that need to be replaced. I found a TSB for codes P003A & P2563.

#PIP4629A: Diesel Engine Turbo DTC P2563 Or P003A - keywords 6.6 6.6L control LBZ LLY LMM low MIL position power reduced SES SCV sensor solenoid turbocharger valve vane VPS - (Aug 7, 2009)
Subject: Diesel Engine Turbo DTC P2563 or P003A

Models: 2004-2009 Chevrolet Express, Kodiak, Silverado, Silverado Classic
2004-2009 GMC Savana, Sierra, Sierra Classic, Topkick
Equipped with the 6.6L Diesel Engine RPO codes LLY, LBZ, and LMM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This PI was superseded to add percentage readings for earlier model LLY and LBZ. Please discard PIP4629.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:A dealer may encounter a customer concern of SES light, Reduced Power, Low power, and a DTC P2563.

A P003A may or may not set along with P2563.

Recommendation/Instructions:Complete the current SI diagnostics for any trouble codes or symptoms found. If a P2563 is found, it may be caused by an unstable Solenoid Control Valve (SCV). Unstable SCV operation may be induced by engine debris or sludge. To diagnose an unstable SCV complete the procedure below.

 1. Test the VPS (Vane Position Sensor) operation. Actuate the VPS plunger and monitor the sensor voltage (or TC vane position on LLY or LBZ) on the Tech 2. The VPS body should be grounded during this test. Touch the brass body of the VPS to the turbo center housing to complete the ground. Voltage should go from 4.9v to 0.25v (100 to 0% on LLY or LBZ) as the plunger is depressed. If the sensor operates correctly, go to next step, or replace the VPS as necessary.
Note: It is normal for voltage to jump back to 4.9v (or 100% on LLY and LBZ) if the plunger is completely depressed.

 2. Command turbo vane position from 10% to 90%, back and forth, several times. During each cycle, monitor the actual turbo vane position sensor reading. The vane position should reach the desired position, and hold steady. If vane position oscillates back and forth more than 5% before stabilizing at the desired position, replace the solenoid control valve.
Note: Debris or sludge build up in the SCV can cause the valve's stability to deteriorate. This can be aggravated by not following oil change intervals and/or extended idling in combination with use of biofuels.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

I would replace the three bad glow plugs first. Then clear codes, road test it to see which code sets first and go from there. I've only replaced 2 turbo assemblies, most of the time it is an electrical concern causing the code. And lastly P0403 has a TSB for reprogramming the ECM and performing an EGR valve motor cleaning procedure. Sounds like you need to find another dealer for a second opinion. Buddy
1997 Chevy Cheyenne K2500
1999 Polaris Sport 400
buddy_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 12:19 AM   #13
waleeedijaz

Command turbo vane position from 10% to 90%, back and forth, several times. During each cycle, monitor the actual turbo vane position sensor reading. The vane position should reach the desired position, and hold steady. If vane position oscillates back and forth more than 5% before stabilizing at the desired position, replace the solenoid control valve.