The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-16-2016, 11:59 AM   #51
fecklessgadfly

Re: Things that annoy: "AC Works, but"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffahart View Post
Well let me take it in a bit of a different direction. What I like to see in the description(and the main thing I look for). "Only driven to church on Sunday". When I see this in the ad, I know it's a true low mileage vehicle being sold by an honest person.... Instant buy! The problem is people stopped using this in ads, I must be getting old!
We legitimately found a car like that. 71 Buick Riviera GS, less than 28k miles. My Grandfather bought it for $3500.

You can see part of it in this pic. All I've got right now.
Attached Images

2014 GMC Terrain I4 (wife's new ride)
2005 Dodge Magnum 3.5 (wife's old ride)
2003 GMC Sierra 5.3 Extended Cab
1972 Chevy Cheyenne 350
fecklessgadfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 12:16 PM   #52
SuperBuickGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100%Chevy View Post
I've been doing a/c repair for many years.
And,I agree,the phrase-"Just needs some freon" is the most common complaint I hear!
If it needs freon,it has a leak!
Leaks cost time and money to repair.
One can won't fix it!Ever!It will still leak.
And,usually,it's a waste of time and freon.
But,it can get very expensive to rebuild a system,so most just sell the car and buy one with working a/c.
Or, do without.
Mike.
yep, that's pretty much the point. That said, I've used the "just needs" line to knock thousands off the price of a vehicle because I follow up with "worst case scenario that I have to replace everything" and "if you won't fix that, easy thing, then there must be much more then you realize is wrong with it." Basically, if you don't know - then I need to be extra careful and I'm doing you a favor by paying you 25% of asking for your crap. That works even better when they're asking way too much for the vehicle.

As a seller, the line I hate is "I can buy it on ebay for x" - I usually say "then why are you wasting my time, you'd have to be utterly stupid to buy my x when you can buy it for less from someone you've never met." "go away" .... lol, the usual response is chastisement followed by sale at my price.
SuperBuickGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 01:08 PM   #53
Overdriven

"great paint with a few minor imperfections" No mention of rust or lack of, while those paint imperfections are almost always rust bubbles.

"Nitrous system installed but never used" Yeah ok. In other words you hit the button once and it didn't go well.
Overdriven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 02:00 PM   #54
Overdriven

"Drive while you restore" It may run, move and stop but the brakes are barely there at all and the floors are mostly gone. Maybe if you Flintstone it you can drive it while you restore.
Old 12-16-2016, 04:02 PM   #55
sboris

How about "testing the waters" "thinking about selling"
Pisses me off, selling it or not!
71 short step-sold
71 chevy Beauville van
My build.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=633039
sboris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 04:24 PM   #56
RichardJ

>>It's a 327 or 350.<<

That brings up another issue. Since 1953, Chevy has only manufactured about 1.6 million Corvettes. Total.
There have probably been 20 million trucks and cars offered for sale with the claim that they had a Corvette engine.
From 62 - 68 there were only 121k Corvettes produced with the 327. At least 10 times that number of engines have had claims that they were a Corvette 327 engine.
Old 12-16-2016, 04:30 PM   #57
special-K
Special Order

The A/C works, just needs charged or ran when parked type of thing I see as the owner letting me know it's status rather than giving it a false boost. It lets me know the compressor didn't lock up, it's just leaking down or that the vehicle isn't sitting because it blew up and there's a chance it has a good motor. It adds to my basis.

"4wd works". I love that one. If it's a 4wd I'd expect that. It's when it doesn't work that I need to hear about it. It's not like "4wd works" tells me the yoke splines aren't wafer thin, bearings don't clunk, rattle, and whine, u-joints don't squeek or clatter, etc. "4wd" isn't one thing. 4wd can work but one locking hub won't lock.

What gets me the most is when the vehicle needs something fixed, you point it out as part of your offer, and they say "That won't cost much" or "That's an easy fix". Then why isn't it fixed? I always tell them that's what needs fixed to be worth the asking price

A funny one is a truck for sale with the typical rust and as a selling boost "Have parts needed to fix". Hey, thanks a million for saving me all that time and expense. The rest is easy. More like, "Bit off more than you could chew, ey? I'll do you a favor and take it all off your hands for xxx"

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 04:56 PM   #58
LongBox

How about "very hard to find, rare model", usually applied to such things as 1999 Honda Civic. Goes with "investment grade" as another BS line that usually makes me look at the next ad.

-69 GMC 910 Long Box, 350
-98 Chev Silverado 1500, 350 Vortec 4L60e
-08 Mustang GT Convertible
LongBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 04:57 PM   #59
fecklessgadfly

NOOOO SCAMS!!!!! IF UR NOT SURIOUIS DONT CALL!!!! ONLY CALL BETWEEN 4:30 AND 4:45 EVERY SECOND SUUNDAY

These are what bother me. Telling scammers not to call does nothing.

Starting an ad off angry doesn't make me want to buy things from you.

I understand that we all have times when we can't take a call, but if you're trying to sell something, you have to talk to the people that want to buy.

(an two mini speling misteaks)

2014 GMC Terrain I4 (wife's new ride)
2005 Dodge Magnum 3.5 (wife's old ride)
2003 GMC Sierra 5.3 Extended Cab
1972 Chevy Cheyenne 350
fecklessgadfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 05:27 PM   #60
TwoFiftyShifter

To what Tim said, I love the rusted truck that "comes with a new rocker panel"....

Cool, just bolt it on quick before dinner then, right?
Old 12-16-2016, 08:48 PM   #61
Overdriven

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
A funny one is a truck for sale with the typical rust and as a selling boost "Have parts needed to fix". Hey, thanks a million for saving me all that time and expense. The rest is easy. More like, "Bit off more than you could chew, ey? I'll do you a favor and take it all off your hands for xxx"
I love those too! Either bit off more than they could chew or the person they thought would be doing it for them doesn't have the time. More often than not that helper merely offered to help not do it for them, been put in that position before.

Along the same lines I love the ones where the vehicle is taken apart to fix something, it doesn't get fixed and it never went back together. Thanks for the jigsaw puzzle that's probably missing a bunch of hard to find pieces because you also didn't bother to label/organize anything and that box has a hole in the bottom.
Old 12-16-2016, 09:04 PM   #62
72 K20

there are two things that just annoy the heck out of me ! When they list that the item is "for sell ",,,,, or ,,,, when someone types " I am going to sale this item ".

It is either " for SALE " Or "I would like to SELL this item" .

One other thing ,,,, when someone lists an item for sale and then will not respond to any communication !
72 K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 10:58 PM   #63
SuperBuickGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardJ View Post
>>It's a 327 or 350.<<

That brings up another issue. Since 1953, Chevy has only manufactured about 1.6 million Corvettes. Total.
There have probably been 20 million trucks and cars offered for sale with the claim that they had a Corvette engine.
From 62 - 68 there were only 121k Corvettes produced with the 327. At least 10 times that number of engines have had claims that they were a Corvette 327 engine.
what kills is when it still has the vin stamp on the block that starts with a V - truck motor. Of course, I read that as opportunity and whip out my instant "you wasted my time" method of negotiation. as for the 327/350 - 350 has a larger balancer so it's instantly recognizable as such. But then again, there's the guy who's mad on the Camaro forum who got took by a guy who sold him a 78 Camaro with a 70 nose.... I figure if you're that stupid, you don't deserve your money.

my peeve is also the "testing the waters" - I tend to respond as a fanboy to encourage them to wait for the high-dollar buyer because I sold one just like it for 3x what you are asking.... waste my time, I waste yours.
Old 12-17-2016, 11:36 AM   #64
Orange67

The words "factory, OEM, and NOS" drive me nuts. The mirrors and rear bumper on my 67 were not factory. They were dealer installed, which in my book, is NOT factory.

'67 C20 CST Custom Camper
'04.5 LLY Duramax CCSB...sold
Orange67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 03:02 PM   #65
davepl

Back in the days when we used the newspaper, you'd see some pretty wild phonetic spellings for car parts, because it was just some non-car person taking the classified ad insertion order over phone.

If the car has a pozzy, it's probably the rear end, for example. Some became really commonplace, because the same person probably was taking the order. Maybe it was just my home town :-)
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 05:22 PM   #66
randy500
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepl View Post
Back in the days when we used the newspaper, you'd see some pretty wild phonetic spellings for car parts, because it was just some non-car person taking the classified ad insertion order over phone.

If the car has a pozzy, it's probably the rear end, for example. Some became really commonplace, because the same person probably was taking the order. Maybe it was just my home town :-)

This is a good post...I remember this well and miss the old print ads in the newspapers, a lot of times you could find deals because of the bad phonetic spelling.
randy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 08:29 PM   #67
corvetteusa1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck View Post
Te hee
Original patina lol
corvetteusa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 11:13 PM   #68
special-K
Special Order

"It's only has one small rust spot the size of a dime."

Great! It only needs a dime sized patch
.................................................................................................... .......................
"It has good glass."

The body's that bad, ey?

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 12-18-2016, 12:12 AM   #69
SuperBuickGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy500 View Post
This is a good post...I remember this well and miss the old print ads in the newspapers, a lot of times you could find deals because of the bad phonetic spelling.
It's still true - you'd be amazed at how few people can spell Camaro properly... what's really funny is when someone misspells words, thus making their ad basically unfindable. Most people have little time to wade through the ads, thus, these seller outsmart themselves by not using common names. But don't get me started on another pet peeve of using key words - e.g. you're selling a Mustang and you use Corvette, Camaro, etc as key words. I do feel, though, that if someone does that you are authorized to flood their email inbox with the dumbest questions ever (does that mustang have a BBC in it?)
Old 12-18-2016, 10:38 AM   #70
ranger danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
It's still true - you'd be amazed at how few people can spell Camaro properly... what's really funny is when someone misspells words, thus making their ad basically unfindable. Most people have little time to wade through the ads, thus, these seller outsmart themselves by not using common names. But don't get me started on another pet peeve of using key words - e.g. you're selling a Mustang and you use Corvette, Camaro, etc as key words. I do feel, though, that if someone does that you are authorized to flood their email inbox with the dumbest questions ever (does that mustang have a BBC in it?)
Mi spelin iznt bad, its kreatve!
US Navy 1979-1983 Gunners Mate Guns (GMG)
NRA Life Member

Unrestrained Children in back seats cause Accidents.
Unrestrained Accidents in back seats cause Children.
ranger danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 10:59 AM   #71
100%Chevy

Quote:
"It's only has one small rust spot the size of a dime."

Great! It only needs a dime sized patch
.................................................................................................... .......................
"It has good glass."

The body's that bad, ey?
That's funny!
I have for sale(elsewhere) a 57 Chevy door.In my add,I state that it has a dime size hole in the bottom of the inner door frame.
Just for a moment,I thought you were talking about me!LOL!
Mike.
100%Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 12:09 PM   #72
Coley

Smile Re: Things that annoy: "AC Works, but"

Pretty hilarious posts here....entertaining stuff!
The 'fully restored' moniker is the one I get a kick out....where they did paint, tires, brakes (a while ago), changed the motor and non-original rims with another tin/chrome air cleaner....fully restored...lol.
On the other hand the whole all original 'ground-up' / 'just like the factory did it' has some dead spots in it as well.
GM always had a slew of service bulletin changes going into these trucks (and cars) to fix ongoing problems so following the factory assembly manual for a lot of restoration is good....but perhaps not the final word.
So what would truly original, or say....truly correct be?
....well, never ending, which I'm ok with and there is only so much you can do to get them close to factory I suppose.

All Good
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 02:24 PM   #73
special-K
Special Order

The all time, and I mean epic mother of all, is "Oh, the title will be easy to get". Well then, go on down and get one so you can sell me this thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100%Chevy View Post
That's funny!
I have for sale(elsewhere) a 57 Chevy door.In my add,I state that it has a dime size hole in the bottom of the inner door frame.
Just for a moment,I thought you were talking about me!LOL!
Mike.
Us veterans know to figure on a quarter size patch, right?

Tim

Old 12-18-2016, 02:34 PM   #74
Coley

Smile Re: Things that annoy: "AC Works, but"

Quote:
The all time, and I mean epic mother of all, is "Oh, the title will be easy to get". Well then, go on down and get one so you can sell me this thing.

Us veterans know to figure on a quarter size patch, right?
...lol and don't forget... a 'dime sized' hole can always just be a metaphor for 10.....as in a 10" inch hole in the door.
funny stuff for sure.

The kicker for me is when someone trying to sell something takes a pic of the cab with the door open....and does not even clean the cab out, I mean even temporarily...lol. I've seen pics of cabs filled with mcdonalds cups, cigarette butts, oil containers, half an air cleaner, a greasy jacket, garbage all over the floor and an endless bunch of crap.....I mean seriously are some people really doing the math on what it takes to sell something.
Keep these stories coming guys....there is some great material here! lol

All Good
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 03:00 PM   #75
davepl

Another personal peeve, though moreso at auctions and car shows, is the "No expense spared" restoration that has a Costco battery and window trim that looks like it was prepped with coarse steel wool, scratched up glass, and so on.

A restoration doesn't stop at paint and wheels, and "no expense spared" means you date coded the new side-glass to remove the scratches...

I have no problem with what I call a "sympathetic restoration" that only fixes what really needs fixing, but don't call it a no-expense-spared "frame on" restoration while leaving stuff with 50 years of wear and abuse...
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote