The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-13-2017, 01:31 AM   #1
Rockbottom78

Major electrical issue...

Hey guys. I have a 2007 classic body 1500hd (hence the 06 pages). I live up north and it's -29c right now-in case this has something to do with the issue. I went out and started her up like normal without issue. Then ran back into the house to let it warm up a while. When I came back out and to drive away I noticed it was in 2 wheel drive (I always keep it in auto 4 during the winter). So I hit the push button for 4 wheel and wait for shift-nothing. So I look down at the 4-wheel control indicator light, there's no light in it?... Then I glance at the gauges, that are all flat. Doesn't show rpm, oil pressure, battery charge, well, all of them. The back light is still lit up though on the dash. Here's a list of what isn't working from what I can tell:
Gauges, 4-wheel controls, the gear indicator light, door locks, stereo, trailer brake controller, power seats...
Erverything else is functioning normally: all exterior, dash lights, heater and control, windshield wipers...
Now the first thing I checked was all my fuses. All good.
Now I turn d the truck off, then started again to see if it was some ecu glitch or something. Rpm gauge came back, but nothing else. So, I checked a few important ground wires, and the battery leads. Good with the wiggle test... (Haven't metered any wiring yet as its dark and freezing out) but even before I can start metering I need to know where to start. I'm stumped, anyone hear of this before? Thanks
Old 01-13-2017, 07:20 AM   #2
99LS1500

Re: Major electrical issue...

If all fuses & relays are good check your battery ground wire for corrosion in the wire and on it's grounding point locations.
99LS1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 01:59 PM   #3
Rockbottom78

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99LS1500 View Post
If all fuses & relays are good check your battery ground wire for corrosion in the wire and on it's grounding point locations.
Ok thanks. I'll have a look and let you know what I find.
Old 01-14-2017, 12:11 AM   #4
Rockbottom78

Hey thread just thought I'd let you know that it turned out to be battery terminals were corroded. Cleaned them up and back in business! Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
Rockbottom78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 10:37 PM   #5
99LS1500

Glad you found the fix.
Battery Terminals, wires and fuses are always a good place to start checking when you have random no crank or starts.
99LS1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 11:48 PM   #6
68c10airstream

A co-worker had a similar issue with his 06 gm truck. Truck had been to the dealer 18 times to no avail. The co-worker found the problem by accident. The positive cable was NOT properly bonded to the terminal end at the battery. He was desperate at the time and ran a screw into the cable/terminal area to tighten the copper strands. I believe when he got home he soldered the wire end to the battery end clamp and that was last winter.
68c10airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 04:27 PM   #7
Rockbottom78

Thanks for the help. I accidentally found it too. Leaned on the battery while looking at the fuses. 👍🏼
Posted via Mobile Device
Rockbottom78 is offline   Reply With Quote