The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-31-2013, 09:41 PM   #51
502ms

Re: What's your best theft deterrent ???

My truck Lays frame and has several things in place to prevent starting, moving and towing. Plus it stays in the garage and when I'm out I have a .40 on me at all times.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-31-2013, 09:46 PM   #52
cleanfreak

I've figured out how to lock the e-brake lever on both my 68 and my 69 (hand and foot e-brake). Simple to bypass , but at that time the thief should be running and not moving , leaving him noticable, time to bail out and move on. Hope I never have to prove this theory....
cleanfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:41 PM   #53
Steve Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanfreak View Post
I've figured out how to lock the e-brake lever on both my 68 and my 69 (hand and foot e-brake). Simple to bypass , but at that time the thief should be running and not moving , leaving him noticable, time to bail out and move on. Hope I never have to prove this theory....
Do tell.. How do you lock the brake lever? I agree with hwyix, our trucks are too easy to steal without preventative measures.

If I can save just one truck with this post, then it was all worth it!

I'm glad this thread has hit 3 pages, keep up the good posts !
Posted via Mobile Device
Steve Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 12:11 AM   #54
hwyix

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
It cuts the power to the ignition, so even if they could get it to crank, it still would not start.
True, but on a old truck that is just any easy jumper wire from the battery.

Has anybody converted to electric fuel pump for the theft deterrent?

Do the removal steering wheels help at all or are they only a few brands out there so it would be easy for a thief to bring one.

I am on a lot of car message board. Seems like a lot of the hot rods the car was cased out first before stolen.

Maybe the only true piece of mind is full coverage car insurance
I am not going to shoot somebody for stealing my car.
hwyix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:36 AM   #55
cleanfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Cole View Post
Do tell.. How do you lock the brake lever? I agree with hwyix, our trucks are too easy to steal without preventative measures.

If I can save just one truck with this post, then it was all worth it!

I'm glad this thread has hit 3 pages, keep up the good posts !
Posted via Mobile Device
You are right , helping someone keep it might be better than showing the thieves our ideas , let's hope the thieves in our area's don't read this. The 67-8 handbrake , I just drilled a hole in the release lever about 2 inches down from the end , slip a padlock in it , stops the release from working. The 69 already has a square hole in the body that a lock will go thru , again stopping the release handle. Just a bit of a slow-down , because if they want it , they're gon'na get it....
cleanfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:52 AM   #56
Steve Cole

You're right cleanfreak, if someone really wants it, they will find a way to get it. Thieves tend to look for easy targets of opportunity. The more we can slow them down, the more likely they will move on to an easier target. Good insurance is a must but money can't replace everything. I know a lot of blood, sweat, and tears went into building my truck and if it were gone one day a big check would be nice but it wouldn't be the same.

But... if I had to do it all over again, there are definately some things I would do differently.. Hmmm....
Old 08-01-2013, 09:03 AM   #57
Andy4639
Old member

Cool Re: What's your best theft deterrent ???

Quote:
Looking for a good (and cheap) theft deterrent! Such as a remote kill switch, hidden battery disconnect, starter cutout, hydraulic wheel lock, alarm system, whatcha got? Show me how your truck can't get stolen when you're not around!
Insurance doesn't apply to your question u asked.

It doesn't keep the truck from being stolen what so ever.

Would I shoot some one that is caught red handed steeling my truck..u dang right I would, would I shoot them to kill no but I would stop them in their tracks if possible.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:01 AM   #58
1leglance

Andy I don't mean to pick on you but a good review of case law should be in order for you.
If you are going to shoot someone it is because you "are in fear for your life or the life of others".
You can NEVER shoot to wound, always it is shoot to kill as your intent. Otherwise you will be the one on court & maybe jail.
Yeah I know our system sucks that way but I recommend research for everyone so they understand the right words to use and what their local & state laws are regarding firearm use.
1leglance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 01:10 PM   #59
Andy4639
Old member

Wink Re: What's your best theft deterrent ???

I know the laws, and yes you stand a good chance of going to court.

But who is to say I aimed at his heart and hit him in the leg. No one knows that but the person pulling the trigger.
I'll take my chances if that's what it boils down to.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Old 08-01-2013, 01:51 PM   #60
lap15

Best theft deterrent is always a dog. Even if it's not vicious, most people will not open a car door when they see a dog inside. I personally would pull the coil wire- easy to carry in your pocket. A friend of mine somehow got his key stuck in his ignition and rather than fixing it just hung a rag in the window as if the truck was broken down. Never had it stolen...but it was a work truck, not a show truck.
lap15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:56 PM   #61
Steve Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by lap15 View Post
Best theft deterrent is always a dog. Even if it's not vicious, most people will not open a car door when they see a dog inside. I personally would pull the coil wire- easy to carry in your pocket. A friend of mine somehow got his key stuck in his ignition and rather than fixing it just hung a rag in the window as if the truck was broken down. Never had it stolen...but it was a work truck, not a show truck.
Hey Lap15, a dog is a good deterrent but you can't go to the movies in June and leave him in the truck. I was thinking some type of lock or ignition cut out or something to that effect.
Hey, how about a sheriffs department sticker in the back window?
Old 08-01-2013, 03:12 PM   #62
Andy4639
Old member

Unhappy Re: What's your best theft deterrent ???

U people must not love your animals as much as u think. Leaving a poor animal in a cab with the windows up even if they aren't all the way up is very cruel to the animal. I would never leave my dogs in my vehicle for no reason. That's just wrong!

If your that scared of leaving your truck stay home. I would rather the truck get stolen than for me to find my loved one dead inside the cab because of me leaving him are her.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 08-01-2013, 08:41 PM   #63
'68OrangeSunshine

I remember 2 things the PO of my '71 Jimmy did:
1 -- He removed the relay rods to the Button/Door lock mechanism, deleted the pull-up buttons, and kept the doors locked. His wife had a car key and let herself in when he picked her up.
2 -- He installed a ring bolt thru the Hood Latch Support and a slim chain thru holes near the center of the hood and padlocked it, after disconnecting the battery.
Of course, out-of-sight-out-of-mind, it seems like he never changed his oil as a result. ["Where is that d@nm key?!!"] And since I don't live in South Central LA, I restored the Relay Rods in the door and quit locking the hood, so I could check the oil on a regular basis.
I only leave my dog in the truck on cool days or nights [which are a lot cooler than daytime in Tucson] and the windows are always open. She really enjoys going for a ride and feels hurt when I tell her 'no she can't come this time.'

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:18 PM   #64
lap15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
U people must not love your animals as much as u think. Leaving a poor animal in a cab with the windows up even if they aren't all the way up is very cruel to the animal. I would never leave my dogs in my vehicle for no reason. That's just wrong!

If your that scared of leaving your truck stay home. I would rather the truck get stolen than for me to find my loved one dead inside the cab because of me leaving him are her.
Relax people. I would never leave my dog in my truck with the windows up and truck parked in the middle of a mall lot when it's 100 degrees out. Common sense prevails. When the dog is with me it's usually for small runs and weather permitting. Both windows are down all the way and the slider open~hence commenting on this post. The dog will sit in the driver seat and wait for me. It's funny seeing her head stick up behind the wheel.
lap15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 01:14 AM   #65
BlackedOut67shorty

I feel confident that people would rather steal a Honda civic rather than my fourty year old truck. I usually always try to keep it in a highly populated area, car jackers don't like being seen trying to Jack any car
Posted via Mobile Device
2000 mercury sable
Thats a how I roll
BlackedOut67shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 01:41 AM   #66
BruthaMan
US Army Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lap15 View Post
Relax people. I would never leave my dog in my truck with the windows up and truck parked in the middle of a mall lot when it's 100 degrees out. Common sense prevails. When the dog is with me it's usually for small runs and weather permitting. Both windows are down all the way and the slider open~hence commenting on this post. The dog will sit in the driver seat and wait for me. It's funny seeing her head stick up behind the wheel.
Heh, my dog is the same. If I put shoes on, she starts doing the "twirly" dance and is ready to go. I usually only make short trips, like a ten minute trip to the store for milk, fresh tortillas or something. On those short trips, she rides, day/night, heat cold.

If I'm going to be out longer than 30 minutes or so and it's in the heat of the day, she stays home, otherwise, she thinks it's her truck and I'm the chauffeur.

Back to the topic: Something often overlooked in terms of deterrent is risk avoidance in terms of location. Not everyone has that option, to be sure.

A good neighborhood, away from apartment complexes and high traffic areas, where the cost of living is low and the chances of living are high, goes a long way towards helping prevent thefts.
BruthaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 05:37 AM   #67
jjzepplin

This might be overkill-But I have a hidden switch for the electric fuel pump-Hidden switch for the HEI wire-Put the transfer case in Neutral (after setting the parking brake) Then put the crawl box in Neutral-Then put the transmission shifter in Drive and then put the Club on the steering wheel and remove the battery when at the boat launch- and have a few rifle shells and 9mm shells laying around. Sometimes I even forget all the deterrents. AND if that doesn't stop them, When they fire up that loud a$$ 406ci it should scare them right out of the truck as the try to figure out how to get it in some sort of gear. How much you wanna bet they try to take off in the crawling gear? And then I catch them by walking right up to them and ask" What were you thinking?"
jjzepplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 02:23 PM   #68
leftybass209

I think most has been covered. Good insurance is the best way, and gps tracking is a close second. Disabling coils, and battery disconnects helps a lot also. Remember, most thieves want in and out QUICK! Any time spent messing with trying to get it started is a chance of getting caught. I love all the gun comments though. While i'm a huge advocate for gun rights, a thief will always be faster than you waking up, taking your weapon out of a safe or removing the lock that SHOULD be on it, loading and firing. Or better yet, the gun at home in the safe wont protect your truck in the store parking lot.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 04:07 PM   #69
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: What's your best theft deterrent ???

How is insurance a good way to keep some one from stealing your vehicle as the OP asked? I can't figure how anyone can say go buy u some insurance they want steel it then!
How is a dog in the cab of a truck that you are riding around in a good deterrent if u never leave the truck? Supposedly u don't leaave him in the truck for any length of time so this can't be a good deterrent.
U people are not protecting the vehicle with these as the OP asked.

I'm a CWP carrier so my .40 is with me 99% of the time and it's loaded and ready to use.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 08-03-2013, 04:18 PM   #70
jjzepplin

You make good points for sure. But when I bought "Ol Yeller" (the PO's name for the truck, "avatar") It had a 9mm hole dead center in the windshield and the rear was replaced with a slider pops had hanging around. Yellow paint/hole in the head=Ol Yeller. I had to ask my friend of 19 years WTF happened? He said his drunk cousin tried to steal it and he stood in the road to block him, cousin stopped and revved the engine and started at him. He pulled the weapon and fired. Cousin stopped the truck and ran for his life. He missed on purpose and it hurt to wound the old girl but it had to be done. Cousin did not tell about the incident and he did not tell about the theft. Cousin is serving life now in San Quentin prison for an unrelated offense. This was in good Ol Oakland Cali. Ah the good Old days... Oh PO was an ex-cop and current security guard for the Acorn Projects. If your from there you know what that is. Long winded I know But I wish I had a pic of the truck then as I was not around here then.
jjzepplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 04:21 PM   #71
leftybass209

Insurance is a protection of your investment. Like stated, your weapon wont do you any good if you're in a store or asleep. Thieves are usually quiet and its unknown to an owner until they hear the vehicle start. Its already in gear and you're risking bullet holes in your vehicle? Far fetched IMHO. Its unfortunate that car theft happens, but nothing is 100% besides a good reputable insurance.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-03-2013, 04:53 PM   #72
Andy4639
Old member

Question Re: What's your best theft deterrent ???

This is the whole point of the thread. What do u have 'in the truck' to keep it from being stolen. Not insurance, not a gun well there maybe be a gun in the truck.
I'm just trying to understand why everyone is saying insurance. It isn't keeping the truck in your drive way as is a gun. So why are so many saying insurance is the best way?
As I stated I have 2 ways of disconnecting the truck so that it can't be stolen when I'm out and about. Just wondering why people think insurance is a good deterrent.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 08-03-2013, 05:06 PM   #73
leftybass209

I understand what you are saying. Insurance is the end game. Most people can agree if a professional car jacker wants your vehicle, they will take it, period. Ive heard of vehicles being towed, thieves bringing batteries with them, and wiring gurus that can bypass coil and ignition kill switches. These are extreme cases of course, but the nicer a vehicle is, the more susceptible to a higher profile car jacking. Most thieves however, will bypass any vehicle they have to put any thought into stealing.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-03-2013, 05:37 PM   #74
Eddie H.

I might get a "Trunk monkey" http://www.suburbanautogroupnews.com...monkey-videos/
Old 08-03-2013, 06:09 PM   #75
Special-Ed

use the seat belt in conjunction with a relay to kill power to any number of options, fuel pump, ecm, ignition relay etc..... a thief will not put his seat belt on....

also technology is out there to get a text message if your alarm goes off.

seat belt not being used(buckled). car cant start...

weight sensor in seat.... if you weigh 250 it only starts when a 250 lb guy sits there unless override

with these vehicles its good to have multiple options....

alarm
some kind of cut off switch(multiples)
and some version of lo-jack
and most importantly full replacement cost insurance.

what fun is it to have a toy and be affraid to never use it.... limit your risks, enjoy the piss out of it, never leave anything valuable in it... because if a pro wants your truck he will get it... regardless of your .40 cal, pit bull, alarm, snakes, laying frame, or alarm...

and if it gets stolen , the insurance compnay will write you a big fat check and you can build a bigger/better one next time!