The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current Classic GM Trucks Classifieds > The 1967-1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Parts Board > Blazer and Suburban Stuff

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-17-2018, 12:26 AM   #1
NorthernMatthew

WTB Original Black 67-72 Steering Wheel

WTB -- I'd like to find a very nice original black steering wheel complete with all related parts for my 1972 Blazer. Would prefer one with little or no cracks. Please let me know if you can help, thank you.
NorthernMatthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 02:07 AM   #2
a1vintage69

Re: WTB Original Black 67-72 Steering Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernMatthew View Post
WTB -- I'd like to find a very nice original black steering wheel complete with all related parts for my 1972 Blazer. Would prefer one with little or no cracks. Please let me know if you can help, thank you.
Matthew, for the price of a nice aftermarket steering wheel about $225 you will be hard pressed to find any originals not cracked and if you get lucky and find one the price will be $$$. I have had a few of the repops and they really look nice installed and you can hardly tell the difference. a1

Last edited by a1vintage69; 02-17-2018 at 01:39 PM. Reason: $$$
a1vintage69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 01:00 PM   #3
NorthernMatthew

Thank you for the input and I will certainly keep that in mind - just trying to go as original as possible
Old 02-17-2018, 03:26 PM   #4
71K5Randy

6t727t2 has one on the truck board:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=756857
69 Olds 442 454 (yes, Chevy power!)
68 Camaro RS 327
66 Chevelle SS 396
Members I have met: 62cdan, 60case, daddymoo2, aotte1, 70shortfleet, countr, Cowboy#40, chevy71super, davischevy
71K5Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 04:08 PM   #5
saskred

The reproductions wheels don't have any steel bar or reinforcement cast inside the plastic of the wheel at all. If you push or pull on one slightly you'll feel it. It feels like you could easily pull on it and snap it. So in freezing weather - or even super hot weather - I'm not sure how good they would be. I wouldn't buy one other than strictly for show and very light use.
saskred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 07:16 PM   #6
lks dcvn

Here is one - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=756857 - not mine.
lks dcvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 09:01 PM   #7
a1vintage69

[QUOTE=saskred;8190544]The reproductions wheels don't have any steel bar or reinforcement cast inside the plastic of the wheel at all. If you push or pull on one slightly you'll feel it. It feels like you could easily pull on it and snap it. So in freezing weather - or even super hot weather - I'm not sure how good they would be. I wouldn't buy one other than strictly for show and very light use.
[/QUOTE definitely wouldn't want to pull yourself up into the truck by the steering wheel. But I live in one of the hottest places around and it held up ok. they do look nice. I haven't had one installed long enough to give it a good long term rating. oem is always best when found.
Old 02-18-2018, 01:29 AM   #8
NorthernMatthew

[QUOTE=a1vintage69;8190780]
Quote:
Originally Posted by saskred View Post
The reproductions wheels don't have any steel bar or reinforcement cast inside the plastic of the wheel at all. If you push or pull on one slightly you'll feel it. It feels like you could easily pull on it and snap it. So in freezing weather - or even super hot weather - I'm not sure how good they would be. I wouldn't buy one other than strictly for show and very light use.
[/QUOTE definitely wouldn't want to pull yourself up into the truck by the steering wheel. But I live in one of the hottest places around and it held up ok. they do look nice. I haven't had one installed long enough to give it a good long term rating. oem is always best when found.
Great information and will help keep me on a hopeful path to OEM
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-18-2018, 11:52 AM   #9
paul mora

I have two steering wheel one has some cracks the other doesn’t. The one without the cracks a a few nicks. They both need cleaning. If you need more photos let me know
Cracked 175.00 sipped
No cracks 250. Shipped
Attached Images

Old 02-18-2018, 05:33 PM   #10
PICKMUP
"Trucks with Class"

The Repop wheels do flex more at the top & bottom of the rim. I have never seen one fail, so I don't know what is inside the rim. I doubt that they would make a wheel that is just plastic with no steel inside the rim. Anyone really know? Everyone always says, "I think". I'd like to see a pic of one broken, if that happens.
Old 02-18-2018, 06:13 PM   #11
a1vintage69

Quote:
Originally Posted by PICKMUP View Post
The Repop wheels do flex more at the top & bottom of the rim. I have never seen one fail, so I don't know what is inside the rim. I doubt that they would make a wheel that is just plastic with no steel inside the rim. Anyone really know? Everyone always says, "I think". I'd like to see a pic of one broken, if that happens.
That saddle wheel I got from you Frank looks real nice installed in the BLZNCST K5. reproduction are ok with me. thanks! a1
Old 02-18-2018, 09:10 PM   #12
paul mora

I cleaned up the wheel and attached some photos. Now I remember why I had it stashed it in the garage. I was saving it for a rainy day when I needed a wheel in grood condition.

Let me know if you want it so we can set up payment. I am going to stick with the price I quoted but if you pass I will save it or sell for a higher price. The one with the crack is nice if you are looking for a cheaper wheel.
Attached Images

Old 02-18-2018, 09:37 PM   #13
saskred

Quote:
Originally Posted by PICKMUP View Post
Pull on a reproduction and you can easily tell there is nothing inside it. It flexes WAY more than the original wheels. Its just plain old molded plastic. If someone wants to send me there repro wheel - I'd be glad to snap it and post pictures. But they're so expensive - its unlikely you'll see one snapped in half anytime soon.
Old 02-18-2018, 10:24 PM   #14
a1vintage69

Just checked my repop steering wheel with a powerful magnic and there is definitely metal inside the wheel but not as much as my oem wheel . Proof of debate satisfied.
Old 02-18-2018, 11:20 PM   #15
saskred

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1vintage69 View Post
Just checked my repop steering wheel with a powerful magnic and there is definitely metal inside the wheel but not as much as my oem wheel . Proof of debate satisfied.
Hey checking with a magnet was a good idea! Well I guess the debate is over then.
Old 02-19-2018, 01:06 PM   #16
NorthernMatthew

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul mora View Post
I cleaned up the wheel and attached some photos. Now I remember why I had it stashed it in the garage. I was saving it for a rainy day when I needed a wheel in grood condition.

Let me know if you want it so we can set up payment. I am going to stick with the price I quoted but if you pass I will save it or sell for a higher price. The one with the crack is nice if you are looking for a cheaper wheel.
I would love to get that non cracked wheel Paul - it would stay in the Blazer forever and when people ask me if I want to sell it I'll grab that wheel and tell them "no thanks, not everything has a price"
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-19-2018, 08:29 PM   #17
NorthernMatthew

It's a beautiful wheel and with all the parts I can just install it -- please PM me your payment information, know this is very appreciated Paul.