The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-01-2014, 08:55 AM   #1
Txwelldigger1

'51 Chevy Swapped and Dropped

I've been checking out the build threads on this forum for a while now and about a year ago I decided to try my hand at building an AD truck. I found this old truck in pretty rough shape and after battling miles of red tape I got a title for it and started working on it about 8 months ago. I'm not as good at fabricating and welding as most of the guys on here but It's coming along and with any luck I'll have it finished by next summer. Here's a few pics of it now.

The truck is sitting on an '85 S10 chassis with air bag suspension. Right now I'm running 2" drop spindles in the front and it's a little too low (the fenders tag the ground when I let the air out of the bags). I've got a pair of stock spindles that I plan on installing when I get the chance. I've also got some tubular upper control arms which will hopefully make it easier to route the air lines without them getting pinched. The rear is a Low Rider Depot bolt on six link kit. The control system I pieced together using a couple of Viair 44c compressors, some solenoid valves, a couple of air tanks and a wireless remote control unit that's controlled by a key fob. I'm planning on hardwiring a couple of control buttons in the cab also (just in case).

The drive train is an old 327 with a TH350 out of a '68 el camino. I picked it up for $350 with all the essentials already bolted up. It starts and runs good but I haven't driven it yet. The only down side was that there was no power steering. I didn't realize what a pin it can be finding the correct bracketry for these things! This motor has a long water pump and no threads in the mounting boss. I finally found a bracket that worked and I think I'm on the right track.

The rear end is out of an olds Bravada. Disc brakes and posi track. I had to get a custom driveshaft made to fit.

The floor of the bed was completely rotted out so I welded in some angle iron brackets and laid 1/8" diamond tread floor plate. My welder broke down in the process so it's still not complete.

I'll keep posting my progress but I'm gonna be out of pocket for a month and then riding to Daytona for Biketoberfest in October. At this rate I'll be doing good to finish this heap by 2016! Anyway, I hope you enjoy my thread and I'm open to advice.
Txwelldigger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 12:43 PM   #2
Advanced Design

Re: '51 Chevy Swapped and Dropped

Hi Texaswelldigger, welcome to the board and thank you for sharing your build. Looking really good!
Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 12:45 PM   #3
Txwelldigger1

I looked through my computer and found some older photos. I'll try to put them in order so you can see the progress.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 09-01-2014, 12:52 PM   #4
Txwelldigger1

And here's a couple of pics of the bed.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

and one of the new steering column and steering wheel

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 09-01-2014, 12:58 PM   #5
Txwelldigger1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advanced Design View Post
Hi Texaswelldigger, welcome to the board and thank you for sharing your build. Looking really good!
Thanks AD! I was reluctant to post pics of my own build because I've seen some really nice work on here and I know that my fabrication and welding isn't as clean as a lot of the guys on here but I figured what the heck. I may get some good advice and I'm hoping that this old truck is gonna turn out to be a head turner.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:04 PM   #6
Advanced Design

Really like your build and the set up with the tanks / compressor. That is on my future to do list.

Having the kids involved is awesome!

Building these trucks is challenging, hard and rewarding / fun all at same time....and probably 95% (or more) of the population couldn't do it. I figured what the heck too, started on my Burb and have been having a blast.
Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 09:05 AM   #7
Txwelldigger1

Well, I got back from Daytona about a week ago. Had a blast but glad to finally get back in the shop and get some work done. I've got the bed welded out and mounted my fuel tank and air compressor set up. Today I'm gonna tie the fuel line in, repair the rear brake line and if pulley press tool arrives in the mail I'm going to press my power steering pulley on and mount the pump.

Old 10-24-2014, 09:13 AM   #8
Txwelldigger1

I decided to add the chrome 5 gallon air tank to give my system more volume. I also added a full size deep cycle battery because dual viair compressors take quite a bit of power to perform. I mounted the bed 2" off the frame using 2x2 square tubing. I had originally planned on using 1 x 2 rect. Tubing but at that height I had clearance issues with the tires and the rear fenders. Not to mention there would've been a significant gap between the running boards and the cab. It all came together pretty nice. I still have plenty to do though. Time to get to work!