The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-23-2018, 08:05 AM   #76
kiwikid

Re: My '67 Chevy C20 "Camper Special" Build

thanks i will check it out
kiwikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 06:22 PM   #77
DJ_Baar

Broke-out some model paint, cleaned-up these emblems, & put some color back in 'em for "Blue" (my '67 Chevy C20 Pickup project). 😃

Special thanks to Todd RuskTodd for these emblems better than what I had & the ones for 350/8 for my "upgrade" from 327 stock. (Actually 355 with .030 over now.) 😁

Emblems in location are not "stock," (just the "Camper Special" is stock)but neither is the engine & so much more. & that is how the "patina" is looking to stay, (with clear coat"). 😏

I will need to pull front fenders again to put doors on though. Working-out issues with worn-out door hinges. At least Driver's side, Passenger side should work-out with new bushings only.

Attached Images

DJ_Baar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 06:06 PM   #78
DJ_Baar

I finished installing glovebox & refurbished door.

(I had to wait for antenna to come in to run the cable behind & to the new radio.)

A slow but well thought-out build on this ol'67 Chevy truck keeping a "patina" with new paint as needed with repairs & rust removal.

* Note I managed to keep the original sales sticker on inside glovebox door and clean-up the rust that was there too! 😎

Attached Images

Old 08-07-2018, 10:07 AM   #79
68Gold/white

I'll be curious what you think of the mufflers when you get it running....
68Gold/white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 10:47 AM   #80
DJ_Baar

Hope to over labor day weekend/week (taking off to work truck). But priority will be to get the doors repaired and hung back on the truck while its weather is good for painting (outside) here in NOLA area. Will try to get video with audio for when I get 'er running and tuned good.
Old 08-07-2018, 11:03 AM   #81
DJ_Baar

Forgot to post these front fender repairs from a couple weeks ago.

Right front had some rust rot in front (as did its inner fender and radiator support from windshield washer fluid? I repaired earlier). Welded that up, undercoated, and worked the "patina." My thought is to keep the patina, but repair any rust and help prevent future rust.

Have 'em on the truck now, but will have to pull back off to hang the doors and align.

Attached Images

Old 10-10-2018, 10:42 AM   #82
DJ_Baar

Did rust and miscellaneous repairs to both doors.

Doors had holes for speakers I filled with steel because installed speakers in new kick/vent panels.

And filled MANY holes for factory and other review mirrors used on this ol'Camper Special. Will mount mirrors that came with the truck; the long "Trucker" mirros and then short wide angle set. They work great for best visibility (especially with the small rear window and IF a camper in back).

I painted the inside to match the paint used on rest of cab inside and outside to match "patina." Getting good at that patina primer, paint, sand, * blend.

More pictures of doors after I finish wiring and new COMPLETE gauge cluster panel install (all gauges to include Tach).

Attached Images

Old 10-10-2018, 07:14 PM   #83
DJ_Baar

Got refurbished gas tank re-installed, and all lines done to fuel pump and up to carburetor with stainless steel lines and minimal rubber (for flexing between engine and frame and tank and frame).''

Gas Filler Grommet I bought from Classic Heartbeat Pickup Parts. Great product and they stand behind it to LAST.

SS Fuel line from fuel pump has larger rubber hose over it to help protect from vibration and stress.

That "patina" is finished paint at and around gas tank fill neck.

Attached Images

Old 10-12-2018, 11:47 AM   #84
redneckgames

Looks good! Im enjoying reading about it.
redneckgames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 06:54 PM   #85
DJ_Baar

Its really starting to come together now. Working-out some issues with BROTHERS' CPP tilt steering column.

Worked thru problem with rag joint provided: it didn't mate with power-steering ASSIST gear box. Took old rag joint & rebuild kit made into SAFE functioning rag joint. (Think I have some pictures of that earlier.)

Still working-out the horn cam ring for correct length. I have been at that since Labor Day weekend! Note that the horn ring cam that came with the steering column is for the OEM Original steering wheel & comes-up short 1/8" from horn retainer button ring. I am now trying a third one and hoping it will work as instructions I found here from D&R Classic Automotive with the extra long "adjustable length" pushrod, spring, and retainer. They have worked well with me. They first sent me one for early Comaro that has right height, but does not fit on shaft with spring as it should, so sending me like what is in these directions they provided that are FOR that "Sport" steering wheel assembly. I never could find out the part BROTHERS used in their video with the steering column. I asked on YouTube in Comments and told to call BROTHERS Tech Support which I did. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_pRKhF3f4U&t=37s)

From minimal instructions received I found out it was a CPP product and tried conacting them a couple times, but no response. And word to wise, CPP list that they use IDIDIT steering columns on thier website, but this is a, and I quote from IDIDIT Tech Support, "a Chinese KNOCK-OFF." And simply could not get answer to BROTHERS video of HOW they mounted same (or "similar" Sport Steering Wheel) to what they had in video. (I bought that at better price via eBay. But comes with same parts that BROTHERS sells. Don't know what to say or why so hard to find out how they installed and parts used for horn cam ring?!)

And lastly having difficulty getting the gear selector to work and be within the indicator range. BROTHERS did send me a brand new 47-87 UNIVERSAL AUTOMATIC SHIFT LINKAGE 7"-24" on Them. I'm hoping that adjustable length should help? TH400 Transmission was totally rebuilt so "shouldn't" have problem with that, but NOTHING has been as it should be so far. Guess that's why they call this work "Custom?" When done, it will be MY Resto-Rod, patina exterior paint n'all!

Anyway more pictures coming as I knock-out these problems, finish the wiring, and install rebuilt custom COMPLETE gauge cluster
Attached Images

Old 10-13-2018, 05:36 PM   #86
DJ_Baar

Got the 3rd horn cam ring today. The spring fit, BUT simply said, didn't work.

Ended up bending the "L" tab on bottom of horn button retainer and it gets continuity to ground when horn is pressed now. I should have just "modified/customized" from the start!

Really too bad the I could not get simple answer from BROTHERS or CPP on how they made it look like it was simple "bolt-in" in their video provided! Still working-out trying to make the gear shifter work and stay within range of the indicator.

On another note, I took the old rusty hood latch apart, cleaned up the rust, and repainted it. I replaced the pin with a 5/16" stainless steel bolt, washers, and nyloc nut. I think it looks fine and should work just as good or better (since greased all friction points), AND saved me cost of replacement.

Attached Images

Old 10-21-2018, 11:11 AM   #87
DJ_Baar

Weather finally cooled-off and Fall is in the air here in New Orleans area, mild 70 degrees this morning And got my instrument gauge cluster back from "Classic Gauge & Cluster." Thank your Tom for the repairs/upgrades. Time to get back to finishing-up wiring this ol'truck.

Got the grill back together with all rust removed/treated, and "patina" clear coated to my satisfaction. Not perfect, but things like cleaning & painting the original bow-tie emblem with model paint and clear coating, saved a few bucks.

Door strikers set me back a bit. They were in bad shape so replaced using some savings I had at eBay. Had the passenger side done before I realized I had a Homer Simpson "Doooh" moment & had grabbed the WRONG seam sealer. Used HARDENING and had to take back apart to redo with NON-HARDENING so I could adjust the doors when hung. Another setback educational moment, reminding me this will probably be my last project

(Front fenders on only temporary and will come back off to hang doors. Cowling is just sitting in place for now until hood refit with fenders.)

Attached Images

Last edited by DJ_Baar; 10-22-2018 at 12:42 PM. Reason: caught type-O
Old 10-22-2018, 12:49 PM   #88
DJ_Baar

Got this new seat cover to reupholster the seat. what you think? Not perfect match for colors, but truck is now "patina."

https://www.ricksupholstery.com via eBay.

Attached Images

Old 10-22-2018, 02:08 PM   #89
Lokin4AReason

its coming together nicely ...
Old 10-22-2018, 03:43 PM   #90
DJ_Baar

Sound like my wife, "When is it going to start?"

Lost flexibility in knees, etc., this past year and dealing with Ortho issues & trying to find a GOOD Doc. Gave up 2 wheels for three & working this project.

I know

* Hope to get dash wiring finished and get doors back on shortly and keep 'er moving along.

Old 10-28-2018, 05:07 PM   #91
DJ_Baar

I made a fitting for neoprene hose to work with vacuum gauge. Basically cut a hose barb and fitted into the vacuum fitting; a little JB weld epoxy to seal it good, and just had to slide the hose over the barb when gauge cluster installed. Easier than using metal lines and getting it all in there and not kinked.

Then wired-up the gauge cluster to attach with connectors under dash. Just need to finish the instrument lighting connections and dash will be done.

Attached Images

Old 10-30-2018, 07:12 AM   #92
Aus69c20

Great progress

69 c20, 396, th400, dana60, ps, ac
Aus69c20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 10:19 AM   #93
DJ_Baar

Hung doors yesterday. Had to take front fenders back off to access the hinge bolts.

Now thought about it and need to finish re-upholster of seat to get that back in and think I may need to take a door back off, probably the passenger door. At least it would be easier.

Found out new press-on door weatherstrip is keeping doors from closing & why. Had a good conversation with folks at Precision (prp.com) and provided this link and some other helpful advice. https://youtu.be/Jzs8-mAKR4A

I did find some other info researching problem and most all recommend same as found in this info link. Press-on weatherstrip really went on easy without the mess of glue adhesive. But now to make the doors close and weather just got COLD here in NOLA area.

Attached Images

Last edited by DJ_Baar; 11-15-2018 at 04:25 PM. Reason: More Info to help others
Old 11-18-2018, 08:48 AM   #94
DJ_Baar

Got Driver's door weather seal to sit well with silicone and adjusted. Installed and aligned that fender and got the grill back on.

Passenger door has to come back off to get seat back inside, (at least it will be easier). So working on re-upholstering seat now. Then get Passenger side door and fender back on and can get hood and finally cowl for all body parts back together. (Have some wiring I need to mount on the fenders like relays for twin radiator fans - so that will wait too.)

Back to the seat. Got the cover off and found it has been replaced and worked on before. Some poor welding on a spring bracket and attempt to repair a broken spring. So researching some parts and will get that all repaired and painted to get 'er done right.

Attached Images

Old 11-19-2018, 09:05 AM   #95
DJ_Baar

Well, found out that repairs have already been done on this seat frame/springs.

Had to do a bit of welding to clean-up the work from before, but other than the broke spring I ordered, looks good now. Cleaned-up and started to paint - that, along with repairs took most of the day yesterday.

Attached Images

Old 11-24-2018, 11:57 AM   #96
DJ_Baar

Working Seat.

Finished clean-up and started painting parts. Got replacement spring and foam in so got those repairs in-work. Picture shows someone's idea of repair to broken spring Waiting for some HEAVY wool to use between seat foam and springs. Should be in today.

Used one inch medium firm foam on seat bottom. Only had hole pushed thru from broken spring and use scrap foam to fill that - then the one onch glued to top and will glue the heavy wool to bottom. Should be a good lasting repair.

Using 2 inch medium foam on back then the wool between it and springs.
Note that someone took some real time to do some earlier repairs for more springs in back and a looks like replaced firm back with folding back - hinged.
(That is one of the places I did some welding repair last weekend )

I don't have a large enough garage/shop to paint inside, so use the sunny days as I can, (as I have with everything else in this "frame-off Resto-Rod")

Attached Images

Old 11-25-2018, 10:27 AM   #97
DJ_Baar

Weather was great & moving along yesterday. Then went to put new turnbuckle seat adjuster in from LMC and turnbuckle was garbage. Had to get a replacement from local Hardware Store. Today its raining, but had other plans and gives the new seat covers time to stretch-out before attaching.
Attached Images

Old 12-16-2018, 05:37 PM   #98
DJ_Baar

Seat is re-upholstered & going back in truck. Fixed & corrosion controlled (CC) springs & frames, then repaired & replaced some of the foam work.
Not a LOT of room in that ol'truck & that's with tilt steering column added. 😯🤐
Thank you to my Friend AJ for extra hands & picture taking. 😉😁
Passenger door frame will require more work to get door to close all the way, 2nd latch detent. Driver door is OK. But need to fix passenger door before I can put that fender back on & finish wiring.
Paint re-do needs temp above 70. A little chilly today, but luckily I live in the deep South.
Attached Images

Old 12-22-2018, 06:56 PM   #99
DJ_Baar

Worked on Passenger Door today. Removed press-on door seal and door closed and shut. I have to keep working-out this problem. But needed to get where I was comfortable enough with passenger door fit to put the right fender back on and get the wiring finished. (and solve shifter linkage alignment problem too.
Attached Images

Old 12-22-2018, 09:40 PM   #100
Orange67

Looking good DJ! I'm about to start tearing into mine soon. You're doing great man.

'67 C20 CST Custom Camper
'04.5 LLY Duramax CCSB...sold
Orange67 is offline   Reply With Quote