The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-29-2011, 11:57 PM   #1
chopsspcc

I need some help with ideas fior a tilt column and a hanging brake pedal set up...

Hey guys...

I'm wondering what tilt column is a good fit for my '59....also, any suggestions on hanging power brake pedal assemblies?

I picked up a 400 block and a 700R4 for the winter. I'm going to lower the truck a few inches, and most likely swap the rear end. Also, any suggestions on the rear end would be great too. Thanks again guys, have a great weekend.

Chops

I'll be taking her on the maiden "longer" voyage next weekend. From Pittsburgh to Cleveland. It's going to be a long ride at 55mph.
chopsspcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 09:52 AM   #2
mknittle

Re: I need some help with ideas fior a tilt column and a hanging brake pedal set up..

I am probably the last person you would want to ask that!

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=474288

I am starting on the pedals next week.sort of the same process. A box of parts some metal and some imagination.

I am thinking about using these.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=474288

http://www.mooneyesusa.com/sto/images/mp4582.jpg

My GMC build.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536602
mknittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 09:41 PM   #3
OrrieG

Re: I need some help with ideas fior a tilt column and a hanging brake pedal set up..

I put in an 82 eldorado column, its shorter than regular passenger. But lots of guys don't like them because of the bulk. I wanted to get the key, shifter, turn signal, dimmer and future cruise in on deal. Here a picture of the column and steering shaft I built, build thread has lots more detail. You can see it only sticks out of the firewall a couple of inches.
Attached Images

OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 01:43 AM   #4
chopsspcc

thanks guys!!!
chopsspcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 09:35 AM   #5
mknittle

Orrie are those stock astro van U joints?

My GMC build.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:54 AM   #6
Todd68Chevy

I am working on a 46 Chevy and I used the hanging pedal and column out of an S10. Then connected the column to the box with Flaming River & Borgeson aftermarket joints and shaft. The steering column bolts up to the hanging pedal assy. like factory but I did move the mount higher on the column to get the column lower. I used an aftermarket lower mount for the column and then just mounted the S10 booster and master cylinder from the S10 also. I also used shims between the pedal and the firewall to angle the pedal and column down but everything still worked. I can not find any pictures of it but if you have questions I will try to answer them. I know this is a different body style but I thought it might give you some ideas. Good Luck

I currently own: 1940 Chevy Fire truck (project), 1946 Chevy truck (project), 1946 Chevy 1 Ton pick up, 1953 Chevy school bus (storage area), 1968 Chevy C10 (I have drove for 26 years), 1994 Chevy C2500 (daily driver), 2005 GMC crew cab K2500 (parts hauler) and more trucks for parts.
Todd68Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 07:40 PM   #7
OrrieG

Quote:
Originally Posted by mknittle View Post
Orrie are those stock astro van U joints?
Yes. middle part is 74 truck. astro to truck is welded, truck part retains the slip joint, not to critical in 2wd city truck but I know how much the frame and cab will flex off road from previous experience.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 12:08 AM   #8
mknittle

Thanks Orrie. I always use a slip joint any way.Things move around more than a guy would think. I have some dash repair to do because of the solid steering column mounted to the frame. it broke the brace on the firewall end and the steering column mounting holes on the dash end Oh well just a good excuse to get rid of that oee center tunnel between the gauges.

My GMC build.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:09 AM   #9
mknittle

oops off center

My GMC build.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:15 AM   #10
wildearp

73-87 GM truck columns are great.
wildearp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 10:00 PM   #11
Rude Dude

Early eightes GMC/Chev van in my 56, dont mind the steering wheel not bolted in.
Attached Images

Rude Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 12:57 AM   #12
Scottshotrods

Ididit steering column and a Scotts hotrods under the dash pedal assy work excellent and are great quality

Justin
Scottshotrods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 03:53 AM   #13
BigDan3131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottshotrods View Post
Ididit steering column and a Scotts hotrods under the dash pedal assy work excellent and are great quality

Justin
Add Flaming River to that list. My former boss had a Camaro tilt column but went Ididit to save on the hassle of the stock wiring. For pedals he had us modify a set from a 73 1/2 ton.
BigDan3131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:31 PM   #14
Rude Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rude Dude View Post
Early eightes GMC/Chev van in my 56, dont mind the steering wheel not bolted in.
Forgot to add the pedal is a cut down 64-72 Truck Brake Pedal with disc/drum corvette brake master cylinder and 7" booster, Porpotional valve from camaro 70's.
Rude Dude is offline   Reply With Quote