The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-08-2020, 07:55 PM   #1
72longstepper

Two heart operations and one bout of vertigo behind me

Well after almost three years I am back at it. Been frustrating but could be worse. Just need input on putting engine back in truck. I know there are numerous threads but I thought I would put yet another because I have looked at a lot of sites and just need someone "you has been there" to tell me.
Bolt sizes with the set-up in pictures. Best way to install as far as the little "tricks" you have learned etc. I have the original replacement motor mounts also if you do not think I need to put the HD one's in. Not sure they would even work with the clam shell mounts anyway. Have not got that far yet.
A step by step would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Images

72longstepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 08:48 PM   #2
AussieinNC

Re: Two heart operations and one bout of vertigo behind me

Pretty close to the bone here mate....

Just take it easy and realize that what your mind thinks as to how long a task will take, in reality, double the time...

I am so glad you are feeling up to getting back into it...

2006 Chevy Silverado (Daily Driver)
2012 Chevy Equinox

AussieinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 01:53 AM   #3
72longstepper

Smile Re: Two heart operations and one bout of vertigo behind me

TY Usually a private old fart----just looking for help LOL. Already found out that the HD mounts (pictured) will not work with clam shell mounts. Oh well.
Old 07-09-2020, 07:54 PM   #4
tdangle

One suggestion I have, is to leave the frame mount bolts loose as they can move a little. Makes getting everything lined up so much easier. Then tighten everything up with the engine in place. You'll save a lot of hassle and time, ask me how I know!.

1970 Custom Camper/C20 , GM Crate 350/7004R, Dana 60, factory AC
tdangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 08:02 PM   #5
AussieinNC

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdangle View Post
One suggestion I have, is to leave the frame mount bolts loose as they can move a little. Makes getting everything lined up so much easier. Then tighten everything up with the engine in place. You'll save a lot of hassle and time, ask me how I know!.
Absolutely agree 100%....

2006 Chevy Silverado (Daily Driver)
2012 Chevy Equinox

AussieinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 09:18 PM   #6
garyd1961

I have had a ruptured disk in my back for years but a few months ago found out I have a blockage in my heart. I just finished rebuilding my 22re and putting it back in my 94 toyota truck.
All I can tell you is take it easy and take lots of breaks. I would work 1 or 2 hours a day max and skip up to 3 days at a time before I went back to it. It took me nearly three months but I got it done and it didn't do me in. If you feel tired take a break the truck isn't going anywhere.
garyd1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 01:04 PM   #7
gmc684x4

Good to read your getting back at it
Yes do not over do it take lots of breaks
Thats what i have been doing since i broke my leg in several places
Small jobs can take the day to do
gmc684x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 01:36 PM   #8
72longstepper

Amen to that. Wife is right on me about "taking it easy" and since I will be 72 next month its not that hard anymore (in more way than one) LOL.
Old 07-11-2020, 12:15 AM   #9
garyd1961

I would set goals of what I wanted to get done today. It would usually be something simple like get the intake bolted on today. At first it wouldn't look like much but after a few days you could see some real progress.
garyd1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 10:45 AM   #10
toolboxchev

Yup! Keep your ducks lined up. If you stick with the original motor mounts keep in mind whether you mount them to the engine or the frame first matters.

I do remember that I have both smaller fingers to get at those bolts to thread them in properly. Also a 12 point socket maybe to assist the fingers.

In retrospect a ratcheting box wrench most likely would have been a help once threaded.

Keep the Faith, Take it easy, Water, Breaks, and remember there is lots of people on here willing to share input and help out.

Heck if you were closer I would come up and meet ya to lend a hand personally. What I find really encouraging is your not giving up. THAT SPEAKS MOUNTAINS!
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 11:21 AM   #11
72longstepper

Thanks again for encouragement(s). Yesterday I bought two pristine front fenders to save me a little welding time as I have already found out how to blow holes in sheet metal. Drove about 180 miles round trip but still figure it saved me at least two weeks of welding bliss. Still need to do outer floors, inner and outer rockers. That, I think I can bull thru. Managed to weld core support piece that rots out under battery tray but no one can see that master piece of welding. Rear step fender are another matter as the bolt flange is pretty much gone so I have to some how weld on new ones so I can bolt them back on to the bed sides.
Old 07-12-2020, 10:55 AM   #12
toolboxchev

There is a paint company that has a website. Southern Polyurethanes Inc, SPIs Epoxy Primer is well known for its quality and affordability.

I was on there website and found a member there doing the old Tri-5's and I believe I followed him over to another website in which he was detailing and instruction-ally doing sheet metal work.

Found out quite a bit of information from him, tips, tricks and consensus of opinion on which products, specs to follow.

At my buddies, with his welder it was not more than 8 hours I and I formed, patched, welded up the antenna hole in a cowl.

Had a body man friend take a look at it, and he said "How am I supposed to make any money off you now?"
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote