The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-03-2018, 01:27 AM   #1
izzy_Britton

$500 2003 Tahoe

I am a long winded typer, so bear with me. We (she) drives a 2010 Kia Soul that has been a great little car but I am over the $350 monthly payment and $109 full coverage insuranc. Because i am beyond being over the monthly cost of driving this car I have been searching for an inexpensive (aka throw away) car for her to drive until i am done building her WHO DCTR truck.

As a result of my searching I was able to locate a 2002 Nissan Sentra that needed some mechanical love. The PO had a problem with it starting, apparently she took it to a repair shop for diagnostics. When the shop contacted the PO to let her know what the estimated cost of diag. and repair would be, she promptly went out and bought a brand new car and took the title to the sentra to the shop and wiped her hands clean of the car. Fast forward 2 years and shop is closing doors and needs to get rid of about a donzen vehicles that have been abandoned at the shop. I was told by the shop that the cam sensor, crank sensor, timing chain, coil packs and a whole slew of other parts have been replaced. The ONLY part that had no been change was the ECM (computer). I ordered a replacement computer for $490!!! before i paid for the computer i did a little more looking and decided to double check that the car was getting spark. well long story short(er) it turns out the spark plugs were so old that the little L shaped tang or electrode thing was actually GONE on all 4 plugs! I replaced the plugs and registered it this past thursday. drove it to work friday, buzzed around town saturday. My wife didnt like the car because it was a little too small for her.

So last week there was an ad on craigslist for a 2003 Tahoe, FREE! the title sparked my interest of coarse. Upon reading the ad, it was not actually for a free Yukon but rather someone looking for a smaller car that got better gas mileage. I sent email to owner and said i had 2002 Sentra, she wanted to meet and consider a straight trade.

Sunday after she drove the Sentra literally around the parking lot she wanted to trade cars. TRADE! Hell yeah! I totally got the better end of the deal, and i felt like i was taking advantage of her.

The truck is a little rough but i cannot complain a whole lot about a $500 running and driving 2003 Tahoe
Project Delongdium - Step-Sons Plastic Clad 2003 Avalanche - DONE and Delivered.
izzy_Britton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 01:35 AM   #2
izzy_Britton

Re: $500 2003 Tahoe

So far I have replaced BOTH front window regulators because the window motors were ceased up. I had several spare window regulators so i just threw some used regulators in the doors.

Because this thing has 20 inch wheels and over sized tires the speedometer is way off. I need to figure out how to re calibrate the speedo. Any ideas?
Project Delongdium - Step-Sons Plastic Clad 2003 Avalanche - DONE and Delivered.
Old 01-03-2018, 05:53 PM   #3
homemade87

2 ways to fix the speedo . Trade someone those for the factory size or pay someone about $175.00 to change the calibration with HP tuners in the ecm . This is most likely the reason its not done .

My personal opinion , Looking at those wheels I would try to find a trade for the correct size .
homemade87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 02:03 AM   #4
izzy_Britton

its a temporary truck, 4-6 months and its gone. not worth the effort or cost for either wheels or a reprogram.

Found a few other small issues... the headlamp selector switch is stuck in the auto mode. the bcm will not go into programming mode to program remotes. small issues.
Old 01-08-2018, 12:29 AM   #5
Bladeboy1998

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy_Britton View Post
So far I have replaced BOTH front window regulators because the window motors were ceased up. I had several spare window regulators so i just threw some used regulators in the doors.

Because this thing has 20 inch wheels and over sized tires the speedometer is way off. I need to figure out how to re calibrate the speedo. Any ideas?
You don't even need hp tuners, it can be done with a decent scan tool. Any small shop worth a damn will have one. Just need to go into special functions.
Bladeboy1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 09:22 AM   #6
KrazyRay

Nice purchase on the Tahoe. I just paid more than that for a parts one.
KrazyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 11:51 AM   #7
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Does it have the pull-out cover over the cargo area? I'm trying to find one but seems like everyone lost them over the years.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 11:45 PM   #8
sleepertruck72

I might be interested in that Throw Away Tahoe when you decide to throw it away
Try this for programming the remotes :

Remote Control Door Lock Transmitter Programming
Important: Do not operate or program the transmitters in the vicinity of other vehicles that are in the keyless entry program mode. This prevents the programming of the transmitters to the incorrect vehicle.
There are 3 methods for programming transmitters, which are listed below as methods 1–3. Up to 4 transmitters may be programmed to the passenger door module (PDM). Each programmed transmitter is given a position of #1–#4 in the PDM memory.
Method 1 - No Tools Required, Program All Transmitters
Important: All transmitters which are to be recognized by the PDM must be programmed in a single programming sequence. When using this program method, all previously programmed transmitters will be erased upon the receipt of the programming signal from the first transmitter.
The order in which the transmitters are programmed will determine its numbering position within the PDM memory. The first transmitter programmed will be transmitter #1, and the second transmitter programmed will be transmitter #2. The number stamped on the transmitter case is for reference only; #2 can be programmed as #1, or vice versa. Additional unnumbered transmitters are also available.
Close all the vehicle doors.
Insert the ignition key into the ignition lock cylinder.
Press and hold the door unlock switch.
While holding the door lock switch in the unlock position, cycle the ignition ON, OFF, ON, OFF.
Release the door unlock switch. The doors will lock and unlock to confirm the program mode.
Press and hold the LOCK button and the UNLOCK button simultaneously on one transmitter. After a delay of approximately 15 seconds, the doors will lock and unlock to confirm the programming of that transmitter.
Repeat the previous step to program up to 4 transmitters.
Turn the ignition switch to the RUN position in order to exit the keyless entry transmitter programming mode.
Operate the transmitter functions in order to verify correct system operation.
Old 01-14-2018, 03:48 AM   #9
izzy_Britton

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
Does it have the pull-out cover over the cargo area? I'm trying to find one but seems like everyone lost them over the years.
NO sadly it does not. I will be on the hunt for one of them covers. My job at work is changing so pretty soon I will have more time to actually look. I will keep and eye out for an extra one for you too.
Old 01-14-2018, 04:45 AM   #10
izzy_Britton

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepertruck72 View Post
I might be interested in that Throw Away Tahoe when you decide to throw it away
Try this for programming the remotes :.
Give me a few months and when the wife is driving her WHO DCTR truck, I will very likely be ready to sell it.

My New Years resolution is no new trucks and i have added an amendment to that resolution to get rid of all or at the very least MOST of my vehicle collection. I am up to 14 vehicles at last count and i am really getting tired of paying insurance and registration on ALL of them (all but one anyways).

As for the remote programming thing. the problem is that the PDM will not go into programming mode at all. when i tried those steps 2 weeks ago the PDM simply cycles and will not remain in programming mode.

The problem I THINK is that the truck has or had an aftermarket alarm system on it as some point. the only reason i believe this is because when exiting the truck and pressing the door lock button on the drivers door, it is necessary to press the button twice, when pressing the button the first time there is a beeping two tone that beeps only once (if that makes any sense at all). The two tone beeping does NOT sound like anything factory installed.

I have pulled off the under dash cover but there appears to not be any aftermarket alarm system installed. i have not had a chance to look anywhere else for an aftermarket alarm yet. I would really like to buy a new driver door master switch, new PDM and a new BCM. but i would assume that they are super expensive if they are even available any longer. but seeing as how it is a temporary truck spending the money for those modules seems like a waste of $$.
Old 01-14-2018, 07:49 AM   #11
homemade87

As far as I know I had never heard a factory remote system beep on a gm . Follow the beep and you will most likely find the problem . I bet it still has a aftermarket module of some kind .

As for the cargo cover , I had been looking for one for my 06 TBSS to match My ebony int . Not all vehicles come with one . It was an option you had to buy from the dealer . They are not cheep . So the only vehicles that came with one was the people that braved the expense .

Last edited by homemade87; 01-14-2018 at 07:59 AM.
homemade87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 02:48 AM   #12
izzy_Britton

Still have not had time to look for the aftermarket alarm system that makes the annoying beep on double click lock.

BUT the good news is, i replaced the passenger door lock and window switch with a used one tonight and was able to program some old factory key fobs. so there really is something to that passenger door lock switch controlling the entire keyless entry setup on the 2003+

tomorrow i might (if time allows) try the passenger door lock switch from a 2008+ silverado to see if it is compatible with my tahoe. I had one in my hand today and the switches are in pretty close to the right position , but the switches themselves are different looking, they are upgraded and i really like the way they look. if they are compatible with my system, i will see what i need to do to change all the door switches over. not only do they look nicer but i bet i could find a nice set with working back lights too since they are much newer? worth a look in my opinion.
Old 02-04-2018, 10:10 PM   #13
57taskforce
All about them K’s

You can fix your speedo pretty cheap with one of these. I’ve used them on two different trucks.
http://shop.12oclocklabs.com/index.p...&product_id=59
It wires into the speed sensor circuit and manipulates the signal. It’s a Great product for the price
‘69 K10 SWB http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=805206
'98 Silverado LT K2500HD ECLB Vortec 454/4l80E: 6" lift 315/75/16's
‘87 IROC-Z all original 50K mile survivor TPI 305 IROC Blue
‘10 Camaro 2SS/RS Aqua Blue Metallic #93 -version 2.0
57taskforce is offline   Reply With Quote