The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-15-2017, 12:07 AM   #1
Nuckingfuts

Please check my math: Rear End Gearing

So we're still getting a pulse on this truck's (73' shortbox) specs & general health and so this weekend we are going through a laundry list of checkpoints, one being to I.D. the rear end. The only markings I could find so far on the rear end are 3896839 and 'N' just below it, these markings were on the forward/passenger side of the pumpkin. After some research I came up with no clear answer and therefore tried the 'jack it and count it' method.

With both rear tires off the ground I could spin one tire forward and watch the other spin in reverse......but only for about one rev before the other tire stopped spinning. The opposing wheel spin makes me think it's an open diff but the fact that the opposing tire stops spinning in reverse after some initial rotation has me confused.

Let's set that aside, counting the wheel rev's to drive line rev's I came up with this:

Method 1:
Both tires off the ground and just turning one tire while the other was allowed to free turn (actually it only turned for a partial rev then no longer rotated during test).
8 wheel rev's : 12.25 rev's

Method 2:
Both tires off the ground but one wheel being held static while the other is rotated.
8 wheel rev's : 12.25 rev's

Both ratios appear to equal 3.08s....am I wrong here?

I'm not ready to open the rear end just yet to verify so I thought I would run it by you guys first. Is this open diff? Do I have a good estimate to assume 3.08 gearing? Thoughts?
Nuckingfuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 06:03 AM   #2
cadillac_al

Re: Please check my math: Rear End Gearing

Your math sounds right but what do you have against changing the gear oil? I usually change all fluids when I buy a vehicle just for peace of mind.
77 Chevy K10
cadillac_al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 06:10 AM   #3
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Its to early for me to be doing math in my head but by jacking up one wheel and leaving the other on the ground...just rotate the wheel one revolution while counting the driveshaft rotation...if youve got 3.08s you should have just over 3 full driveshaft rotations for one rotation of the wheel...but if you want to be 100% sure pull the cover..gaskets are cheap enough..probably needs rear dope refreshed anyway
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 09:44 PM   #4
75C10

NF,
Method 2 works fine with non clutch posi (i.e. open) rear ends. One wheel held static. Spin the other tire two tire rotations and count drive shaft rotations. You have 3.08. The two turns come as a result of the spider gears. One tire rotation would be true if there was a clutch type posi installed (and both tires rotated in the same direction).
75C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 10:47 PM   #5
70K10Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75C10 View Post
NF,
Method 2 works fine with non clutch posi (i.e. open) rear ends. One wheel held static. Spin the other tire two tire rotations and count drive shaft rotations. You have 3.08. The two turns come as a result of the spider gears. One tire rotation would be true if there was a clutch type posi installed (and both tires rotated in the same direction).

What?
70K10Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 11:48 PM   #6
andyh1956

He means the spider gears have half as many teeth as the side gears. By only turning one tire you have effectively created a planetary gear set. With only one tire being rotated the axle is driving the side gear with more teeth than the spider & it is rotating the carrier by the cross shaft AROUND the stationary axle, which can drive the PINION FASTER than it would if all the carrier gears were stationary like when traveling down the road in a straight line. It is Best to turn the drive shaft & make sure BOTH tires rotate together. This can involve multiple (Count Three) peoples working together but it is the most accurate. Just put the truck in neutral on level hard ground, mark the rear tires at 6 o'clock & PUSH the truck until the tires make one revolution while some one watches the pinion rotate & there you go!
If the tires make one revolution & the pinion turns four times = 4.00 x 1 ratio!
andyh1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 01:52 PM   #7
75C10

andyh thank you

Just jack up one wheel with the other on the ground. Place valve stem at the bottom and use this as your turning reference point. Now you don't need to look at the wheel to know it position. Turn wheel twice and count drive shaft revolutions. Easily done by yourself in most instances. Round as best possible and voila. Easy Peasy and right every time.
75C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 04:17 PM   #8
Desert_Eagle02

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75C10 View Post
andyh thank you

Just jack up one wheel with the other on the ground. Place valve stem at the bottom and use this as your turning reference point. Now you don't need to look at the wheel to know it position. Turn wheel twice and count drive shaft revolutions. Easily done by yourself in most instances. Round as best possible and voila. Easy Peasy and right every time.
^^ This. Make a mark on the drive shaft with a grease pen so you can be certain of the rotations. Even easier if you have someone rotate the tire while you count the driveshaft.
Old 07-16-2017, 11:18 PM   #9
Nuckingfuts

Thank you for everyone's feedback and confirming the method. The laundry list is still pretty long but changing out the diff oil is on there. After a vacuum, compression and leak down test we can use the info to determine which direction to go with boosting low end torque. Thanks again!
Old 07-17-2017, 10:48 AM   #10
andyh1956

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckingfuts View Post
Thank you for everyone's feedback and confirming the method. The laundry list is still pretty long but changing out the diff oil is on there. After a vacuum, compression and leak down test we can use the info to determine which direction to go with boosting low end torque. Thanks again!
The best way to boost low end torque is a new ZZ4 CRATE ENGINE!
andyh1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 01:27 PM   #11
Nuckingfuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyh1956 View Post
The best way to boost low end torque is a new ZZ4 CRATE ENGINE!
Yeah I should have qualified my statement with "...on a shoestring budget"

Current options on the table are to either change rear gearing to 3.43 and/or install Summit Vortec heads. Most likely the Vortec heads though.
Old 07-18-2017, 02:40 PM   #12
wilkin250r

The opposing tire might just have a little sticky spot in the brake drum, a little corrosion maybe. I wouldn't worry about it just yet, I think you have bigger issues.

And your math sounds correct. If one tire is held static while the other is turned, then due to the actions of the spider gears, 8 rotations of the tire will result in 4 rotations of the ring gear. 12.25/4=3.0625

My extensive research (43 seconds) also says the 12-bolt came in a 3.07 variety (43:14), but I think most aftermarket gear sets are 3.08 (40:13).