The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-21-2017, 02:47 PM   #1
qbeanie

Remove rust from used cylinder heads

I purchased a set of cast iron heads that were supposedly rebuilt a while back. The heads were installed on an engine and then removed. The water jackets have rust and scale buildup as if the engine may have been sitting for awhile. Other than the rust the heads appear to be in good condition. What is the best way to remove the rust?
Posted via Mobile Device
qbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 04:04 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: Remove rust from used cylinder heads

You would have to break them down to do anything to them. Used to be that machine shops stuck them in the "hot tank" with a caustic solution and then pressure washed them now days a lot of machine shops have ovens that they bake them out in. A little bit of surface rust won't hurt anything anyhow but the scale might and it probably took a long time to build up anyhow. The big problem was probably the PO running straight water with nothing in it to prevent the scale and rust.

Cheap way if they aren't surface rusted on the mating surfaces or combustion chambers would be to put them on and run an engine flush though the engine and then either run antifreeze as I and other folks would or at least run an anti rust additive in the coolant.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 04:21 PM   #3
qbeanie

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-21-2017, 04:28 PM   #4
qbeanie

Thanks your probably right on with the po using straight water. There is no susurface rust and the mating surfaces are clean. I will try scrape/ brush the jackets the best i can. Thankfully the scale releases easily. I was wondering if anyone had used any of those derusting products suceesfully. I want to avoid using muratic acid and the like.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-21-2017, 04:49 PM   #5
mr48chev

I don't really think you need to go that far unless it is really clogged up. If you look in the holes that coolant runs though on the surface of the head and see a serious buildup in a lot of them it may be an issue. If there is just a bit of scale here and there It should be ok. If you are really worried take it to someone and have it looked at.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote