The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-26-2017, 10:18 AM   #1
FASTDYNA

Cutting tail lights

Anybody tried to modifying tail lights cut lenses and lay them down ?on 72 burb
FASTDYNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 12:25 PM   #2
4shongo

Re: Cutting tail lights

Good question, I have thought about trying that myself but if someone has the lessons learned and can share; that would be great!!!!
4shongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 01:12 PM   #3
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTDYNA View Post
Anybody tried to modifying tail lights cut lenses and lay them down ?on 72 burb

You mean so they are flat like a pickup?

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 01:20 PM   #4
GMCPaul

Fleetside tail light lenses fit the Suburban / Panel trucks exactly, so you can get the lens flat by just installing these. That still leaves the taillight housing protruding from the body. To get the lens flush with body remove the tail light housing. On the back of the at the top outside of the recessed bowl the bulb sits in you'll see a 90 degree metal tab, remove tab, now trace shape of bowl onto metal directly behind the housing and cut the metal out. You can now set the tail light housing flush with body to mount it, install the fleet side tail light lens and your done.

Paul Jr. @ GMCPauls

Last edited by GMCPaul; 01-26-2017 at 01:27 PM.
GMCPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 08:43 PM   #5
LuckyScott

That is a good tip.....
LuckyScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 12:54 PM   #6
4shongo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCPaul View Post
Fleetside tail light lenses fit the Suburban / Panel trucks exactly, so you can get the lens flat by just installing these. That still leaves the taillight housing protruding from the body. To get the lens flush with body remove the tail light housing. On the back of the at the top outside of the recessed bowl the bulb sits in you'll see a 90 degree metal tab, remove tab, now trace shape of bowl onto metal directly behind the housing and cut the metal out. You can now set the tail light housing flush with body to mount it, install the fleet side tail light lens and your done.

Paul Jr. @ GMCPauls
With that info, cant we just remove the whole factory housing/bulb, cut the wires, buy a LED truck (fleetside) replacement and just wire those in? that will lay in there easily if nothing else is in the hole? Right? Seems like a great and easy mod. Why has this not come up before or did I just miss the thread? Can you post a pic with the Fleetside lens off for more of a visual? This will be on my to do list now.
Old 01-28-2017, 09:30 AM   #7
GMCPaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4shongo View Post
With that info, cant we just remove the whole factory housing/bulb, cut the wires, buy a LED truck (fleetside) replacement and just wire those in? that will lay in there easily if nothing else is in the hole? Right? Seems like a great and easy mod. Why has this not come up before or did I just miss the thread? Can you post a pic with the Fleetside lens off for more of a visual? This will be on my to do list now.
The only difference between a fleet side or Blazer / Jimmy tail light housing and the Suburban / Panel trucks tail light housing is the small 90 degree metal tab attached to the Suburban tail light housing. Once you remove it it's identical to the fleet side tail light housing. So the only reason not to remove and purchase fleet side tail light housing would be to preserve the Suburban's original housing for possible re-use as stock. You would also not need to cut any wiring to install the fleet side LED's that we are aware of as they are a plug and play conversion requiring no wire cutting that we are aware of on any brand of the LED inserts.
Take a moment to remove 1 lens on your tail light and you'll easily be able to see the small metal tab that holds the housing up off the body and you'll be able to easily see the metal behind bulb section of housing that needs trimmed out so the housing will sit flush.
Paul Jr. @ GMCPauls
Old 01-30-2017, 12:21 AM   #8
Scwhitear

Great tip!
Scwhitear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 08:27 AM   #9
FASTDYNA

The truck lenses are narrower there's a step I think I will still cut the stock lenses thanks for the other helpful info
Old 01-31-2017, 04:18 AM   #10
GMCPaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTDYNA View Post
The truck lenses are narrower there's a step I think I will still cut the stock lenses thanks for the other helpful info
The base of truck lens are Exactly the same width as a Suburban tail light lens mounting base. The Suburban lens is thicker ( greater in depth front to back ) that's why they stand up off the body, and just slightly wider at bottom outside of base to hide the housing standing up off the body but the difference in width there is only 3/16" per side and when you lay the housing flat and use the truck tail light lens it appears just like that shown on our 67 panel truck.

Last edited by GMCPaul; 02-13-2017 at 12:29 PM.
Old 02-13-2017, 11:19 AM   #11
4shongo

I ordered a set of LED truck taillights to do this "mod". The gap was way too big for me so I just reinstalled my factory taillights. Ill just sale the LEDs I bought. It was worth a shot, I just could not live with that big of a gap around the lights (3/8" +/- all around). If anyone else has a solution to the gap, please share or provide detailed close up pictures of how you did this. Thanks
Old 02-13-2017, 09:49 PM   #12
FASTDYNA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4shongo View Post
I ordered a set of LED truck taillights to do this "mod". The gap was way too big for me so I just reinstalled my factory taillights. Ill just sale the LEDs I bought. It was worth a shot, I just could not live with that big of a gap around the lights (3/8" +/- all around). If anyone else has a solution to the gap, please share or provide detailed close up pictures of how you did this. Thanks
That was my opinion that's why I started this thread sorry GMC Paul do not agree w you