The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-18-2017, 11:41 PM   #1
Slowguy

First post. 67 c10 lq4 ls turbo swap

Completely new to this. I come from building older Audi's so I have a little know how but this world is completely new and something I've always wanted to do.

I picked up a 1967 c10 long box in pretty good condition. The old 350 purrs like a kitten just doesn't have much power coming from a 650 hp awd Audi need a little more from it. I plan to do a complete frame off resto and make it a short box (tons of debate from posts I've read but that's what I want and that's what I'm doing)

I also picked up a 2001 2wd work truck with a 6.0 lq4 and a 4l80e. I already tore it down and kept everything I "might" need for the swap. Right now are all the engine decisions. I thought it would be easier than what I'm finding. Some guys say do na with all the machine work, rods, ported heads, cam, rockers, push rods, etc etc. I understand the value of that but I chose this engine because I read over and over that it's strong, reliable, and can easily take mild boost to make a usable 400-500 whp. And yes, I've seen thread after thread about this but there isn't a single one that seems to fit me perfectly.

I have the engine down to the short block. I had planned on cleaning EVERYTHING. I think I should pull the pistons, deglaze hone, new rings, maybe new main and/or rod bearings if I can make sure I do it correctly (always had machine shop assemble and balance short block before). Engine has 150 on it and ran just fine before tear down. I was also going to keep stock truck intake, and lap valves. I think I should do a mild turbo cam and pac valve springs but again, can't seem to find a good straight answer on this. New gaskets and seals all around. Possibly arp rod bolts, main bolts, and head studs? Dunno what he consensus is on that.

Finally, I'd like to fit it with the proper fueling, deka 80 injectors, on3 Chinese single turbo kit and and a custom tune.

After all the engine decisions are made and reassembled then I can get to all the truck decisions ( how to make the 4l80e work, ps, power brakes, front disc brake upgrade, cut the frame, ac installation, then paint). Priority is to get the engine prepared and on the frame right now.

ANY suggestion or advice would be greatly appreciated if you've been in my spot before.
Slowguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 07:22 AM   #2
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Re: First post. 67 c10 lq4 ls turbo swap

welcome...your almost in the right spot..weve got a LS specific section right here in the general engine section..this swap has been done many times resulting in ear to ear grins..dont forget to regap your rings..also check out ls1tech forum..it has lots of info...in the meantime heres some good reading for ya......http://www.hotrod.com/articles/hrdp-...g-bang-theory/
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 04:07 PM   #3
mattfranklin

Re: First post. 67 c10 lq4 ls turbo swap

Welcome to the group! Sounds like a really fun project.

Another reference from Hot Rod was their "Bonemaro" project where they took a stock 5.3 with an economy turbo kit and blew a piston after a dozen quarter mile runs because of its too tight ring gaps. They had much better luck with their spare shortblock with mostly stock parts when they minded the ring gaps.

Good luck and keep us posted!

EDIT: It just occurred to me that being in Illinois you might have pretty easy access to E85 which makes everything with boost way better. BTW, your plan to go through everything and clean, deglaze, add ARP fasteners, and so on sounds ideal.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=567340

Last edited by mattfranklin; 08-25-2017 at 05:55 PM.
mattfranklin is offline   Reply With Quote