The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-10-2018, 09:28 PM   #76
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: Testing Windshield Wiper Motors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav View Post
This is really grasping at straws, the bezel for switch is off and set screw is backed off on plastic knob, they cant possibly have anything to do with grounding of switch, can they?

No, that wouldn't have anything to do with it.

If you have a jumper wire with alligator clips on both ends clip one end to the wiper motor (you will need bare metal to clip it to, but not the mounting bolts) and the other end to a good ground on the back of the dash (clean metal) then turn it on and see if it will work. It is very important to have bare metal on both ends.

Let me know what happens.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 10:05 PM   #77
Mav

Tried the old switch and the ground wire, (scraped paint off housing) and went to emerg. brk. housing and trans. stick (both bare) no change.....
Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 10:19 PM   #78
Mav

I cant come up with anything except 2 bad switches.
Old 03-10-2018, 11:15 PM   #79
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
I cant come up with anything except 2 bad switches.

Does your wiring look the same as the picture in post #67, except the two yellow wires are on the black connector instead of the brown one? Are the light blue and dark blue wires the same as the picture above?

LockDoc

-
Old 03-10-2018, 11:40 PM   #80
Mav

The brown plug has a lt. blue and a yellow to washer, black plug has 2 yellows and a dk. blue , then a black is by itself to wiper motor, switch has lt. blue, dk. blue and black.
Old 03-11-2018, 12:03 AM   #81
Mav

Difference in mine and #67 pic is my 2 yellows are on black plug and my dk. blue and lt. blue are reversed (I have lt. blue in brown plug to washer and dk.blue is in black plug to motor.
Old 03-11-2018, 12:16 AM   #82
Mav

Will check this in the morning, thanks for all your help, Mav
Old 03-11-2018, 02:04 AM   #83
Richard2112

Excellent write up. I will be referring to this in the future.
Richard2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 10:05 AM   #84
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Difference in mine and #67 pic is my 2 yellows are on black plug and my dk. blue and lt. blue are reversed (I have lt. blue in brown plug to washer and dk.blue is in black plug to motor.
Try changing the wires around so it is like the picture...

LockDoc

-
Old 03-11-2018, 10:20 AM   #85
tutone

Locdoc, I got mine going this morning, albeit temporarily. (Waiting on a reliable new switch). Mine was doing exactly as MAV's was after my dash pad change out . It turned out to be a combination of two things. RUST in the fuse holder. I could not see it but when I removed the fuse, it was there nonetheless. My switch was not making good contact either so I cleaned it and tested it. I could not make the wipers work with a home rig of an aftermarket toggle or push/pull off /on switch either. It must take a HARD ground to operate them. One thing about electricity for sure is, you have to have an uninterrupted path to ground no matter whether it is a negative system like wipers or a positive ground like a starter. Once I wrapped my head around the way they work, the rest was simple. Thanks for such an informative thread.
1955 210 2 dr sedan/1998 RCSB Z71
tutone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 10:34 AM   #86
Mav

Was just ahead of you, I switched the blue wires, good news is it works, bad news is so does washer pump, wont shut off till I turn switch to off.
Old 03-11-2018, 10:41 AM   #87
Mav

I can switch yellows but cant see why it would change anything, can you?
Old 03-11-2018, 11:12 AM   #88
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutone View Post
Locdoc, I got mine going this morning, albeit temporarily. (Waiting on a reliable new switch). Mine was doing exactly as MAV's was after my dash pad change out . It turned out to be a combination of two things. RUST in the fuse holder. I could not see it but when I removed the fuse, it was there nonetheless. My switch was not making good contact either so I cleaned it and tested it. I could not make the wipers work with a home rig of an aftermarket toggle or push/pull off /on switch either. It must take a HARD ground to operate them. One thing about electricity for sure is, you have to have an uninterrupted path to ground no matter whether it is a negative system like wipers or a positive ground like a starter. Once I wrapped my head around the way they work, the rest was simple. Thanks for such an informative thread.
Good deal. Glad you got it working....

Quote:
Was just ahead of you, I switched the blue wires, good news is it works, bad news is so does washer pump, wont shut off till I turn switch to off.
I think you need an Exorcist...... I will have to think on that one.

Quote:
I can switch yellows but cant see why it would change anything, can you?
I don't think it would either but it won't hurt anything to do it.

LockDoc

-
Old 03-11-2018, 12:15 PM   #89
Mav

Pulled pump off, its not stopping where it should, (gap in toothed plastic wheel?) Maybe spring is weak, maybe coil is...hope parts are better in new pump I am ordering as soon as I post this, stay tuned, will let ya know in about a week, thanks again for all your time and effort on this, later Mav
Old 03-11-2018, 12:34 PM   #90
Mav

Still dont understand blue wires being backwards, Im not good with wiring diagrams but my service manual shows the dk. blue next to the 2 yellows on the motor plug, and the light blue and 1 yellow to the pump....unless Im reading it backwards, which maybe I am.....
Old 03-14-2018, 04:21 AM   #91
Mike_The_Grad

I have an issue that I've yet to find an answer to let alone anyone with the same scenario.
I rewired my 72 c10 with an American autowire kit back in 2014. Tonight after making the 30 mile trip home in the rain and my wipers on high. I reached up under the dash to try and track down some back feed noise I'm getting coming out of the Kenwood speakers. The damn wiper motor case was cookin hot! Almost burnt the back of my hand it was so hot.
Some history, I bought the truck back in 2004 from my ex's dad. He said that the washer pump started pumping after he hit the wiper switch and it pumped the reservoir dry. So he disconnected the washer pump. Jump ahead to 2014 and I rewired the entire truck. I completely forgot about the washer pump issue. I never noticed a noise or any issue for that matter. But about a year ago I was messing with the wiring under the dash and the damn wiper motor was hot. So I read up on the wiring and decided I could pull the dark blue wire from the wiper switch and the washer pump connector but still have wiper function.
So that's what I did and it worked fine.
So, tonight I replaced my instrument bulbs with LEDs and the old thermal flasher relays with new LL Novita Electronic Flashers. The old flasher relays were grounded to the damn fuse panel. It took my about 20 minutes to disconnect the 2 flasher relays, resulting in completely breaking the old relays and extracting the broken terminal ends with small needle nose pliers. Installed the new LEDs and flashers and everything was fine.
Until I got home and reached up under the dash to find the damn wiper motor super hot again!
So I pulled the washer pump feed that connects to the washer pump and jumps to the wiper motor, I now only have the single black connector along with the light blue and white lead connector plugged into the wiper motor. The wipers work in both slow and high settings. But the damn case is still cooking hot.

ANY THOUGHTS?

I could care less about the washer pump functioning but the wipers HAVE TO WORK. I just don't wanna damage anything by just having the wipers and no washer pump...

Instagram: Mike_The_Grad
Mike_The_Grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 12:18 PM   #92
Mav

Cant fix my own so might as well try yours lol. If pump isn't working right you could be turning it all the time and heating up wiper motor, try removing pump (2 quarter inch screws) and see what happens.
Old 03-14-2018, 09:03 PM   #93
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_The_Grad View Post
I have an issue that I've yet to find an answer to let alone anyone with the same scenario.
I rewired my 72 c10 with an American autowire kit back in 2014. Tonight after making the 30 mile trip home in the rain and my wipers on high. I reached up under the dash to try and track down some back feed noise I'm getting coming out of the Kenwood speakers. The damn wiper motor case was cookin hot! Almost burnt the back of my hand it was so hot.
Some history, I bought the truck back in 2004 from my ex's dad. He said that the washer pump started pumping after he hit the wiper switch and it pumped the reservoir dry. So he disconnected the washer pump. Jump ahead to 2014 and I rewired the entire truck. I completely forgot about the washer pump issue. I never noticed a noise or any issue for that matter. But about a year ago I was messing with the wiring under the dash and the damn wiper motor was hot. So I read up on the wiring and decided I could pull the dark blue wire from the wiper switch and the washer pump connector but still have wiper function.
So that's what I did and it worked fine.
So, tonight I replaced my instrument bulbs with LEDs and the old thermal flasher relays with new LL Novita Electronic Flashers. The old flasher relays were grounded to the damn fuse panel. It took my about 20 minutes to disconnect the 2 flasher relays, resulting in completely breaking the old relays and extracting the broken terminal ends with small needle nose pliers. Installed the new LEDs and flashers and everything was fine.
Until I got home and reached up under the dash to find the damn wiper motor super hot again!
So I pulled the washer pump feed that connects to the washer pump and jumps to the wiper motor, I now only have the single black connector along with the light blue and white lead connector plugged into the wiper motor. The wipers work in both slow and high settings. But the damn case is still cooking hot.

ANY THOUGHTS?

I could care less about the washer pump functioning but the wipers HAVE TO WORK. I just don't wanna damage anything by just having the wipers and no washer pump...

I would say that the armature is dragging on the windings. I would just replace it....

LockDoc

-
Old 03-16-2018, 01:39 AM   #94
Mike_The_Grad

Thank you guys for your input! That's why I love this site.

MAV,
Sorry to hear that. I appreciate the suggestion, and will try it. I've gone through just about every system on the truck except the wipers/washer pump stuff. Might as well be a rubix cube that makes the wipers work...lol.

LOCKDOC,
I appreciate your reply. Thank you. Honestly I am completely clueless as to how the wiper/washer pump operate. I have both the F.S.M. And F.A.M. But I have never removed the wiper/washer assembly. Even when I rewired the truck I didnt pay much attention to what was what under the dash, especially since everything worked as should when I was finished installing the kit. But now I accept that it's on the list of things that should be serviced after 45 years.

From what I have read on this site is that a washer pump rebuild kit is a crapshoot and some folks opt for a newer style pump and relocate it accordingly. Is there any real benefit in swapping to a newer style pump? I don't mind keeping the setup O.E.M. But I'm not opposed to a different setup either. I'm mostly concerned with longevity, reliability, and ease of installation. (Unless it really is worth the extra work for a better setup.)

Living in Southern California, the weather is pretty much consistent year round. It's the few odd days when it isnt that I want to be prepared for.
Rain-X can only do so much.

Old 03-16-2018, 05:09 PM   #95
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_The_Grad View Post
Thank you guys for your input! That's why I love this site.

MAV,
Sorry to hear that. I appreciate the suggestion, and will try it. I've gone through just about every system on the truck except the wipers/washer pump stuff. Might as well be a rubix cube that makes the wipers work...lol.

LOCKDOC,
I appreciate your reply. Thank you. Honestly I am completely clueless as to how the wiper/washer pump operate. I have both the F.S.M. And F.A.M. But I have never removed the wiper/washer assembly. Even when I rewired the truck I didnt pay much attention to what was what under the dash, especially since everything worked as should when I was finished installing the kit. But now I accept that it's on the list of things that should be serviced after 45 years.

From what I have read on this site is that a washer pump rebuild kit is a crapshoot and some folks opt for a newer style pump and relocate it accordingly. Is there any real benefit in swapping to a newer style pump? I don't mind keeping the setup O.E.M. But I'm not opposed to a different setup either. I'm mostly concerned with longevity, reliability, and ease of installation. (Unless it really is worth the extra work for a better setup.)

Living in Southern California, the weather is pretty much consistent year round. It's the few odd days when it isnt that I want to be prepared for.
Rain-X can only do so much.

If you are going to replace the wiper motor anyway you could go ahead and put a kit in the pump. The thing to keep in mind is that anytime a vehicle has sat for a long time without the wipers/washers being used or a new kit is installed in the pump, the whole system has to be primed before the pump will pump any fluid. I use a turkey baster to prime the system while the pump is pumping. Also, while the system is apart blow through all of the hoses and squirter nozzles with an air hose. Do not blow air through the pump, you could rupture the diaphram in the pump. (and blow backwards through the squirter nozzles) Oh, and don't forget to clean the small strainer screen inside the washer tank.

If you decide to go with the external pump there are instructions on here for wiring it to the original wiper/washer switch.....

LockDoc

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 03-16-2018 at 07:32 PM.
Old 03-16-2018, 06:10 PM   #96
Mav

Back at square 1, new pump didnt help, when dk. blue wire is hooked to wiper motor it just clicks when wiper is turned on, if you press switch for washer it makes 1 revolution and shuts off (like it should?). Reverse blue wires and you get wiper and pump till you turn off switch, I even switched the yellow wires, but no change, thats the only thing about this that HAS made any sense.
Old 03-16-2018, 07:04 PM   #97
Mav

Might as well include switch test results, off is no read, low reads on 2 outside terminals, high reads on angled outside term. low+pump reads on all 3, high+pump reads on angled outside and middle. See anything that doesnt look correct? thanks lockdoc, bet you are as tired of this thing as I am!
Old 03-16-2018, 07:56 PM   #98
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Back at square 1, new pump didnt help, when dk. blue wire is hooked to wiper motor it just clicks when wiper is turned on, if you press switch for washer it makes 1 revolution and shuts off (like it should?). Reverse blue wires and you get wiper and pump till you turn off switch, I even switched the yellow wires, but no change, thats the only thing about this that HAS made any sense.
Quote:
Might as well include switch test results, off is no read, low reads on 2 outside terminals, high reads on angled outside term. low+pump reads on all 3, high+pump reads on angled outside and middle. See anything that doesnt look correct? thanks lockdoc, bet you are as tired of this thing as I am!

I have never had a replacement wiper motor so I don't know if they are wired different than a stock one or not. Can you take a picture of your motor and the way the wires are connected now?

Without being there and checking everything out visually I can't figure out what is going on.....

LockDoc

-
Old 03-16-2018, 08:03 PM   #99
Mike_The_Grad

LOCKDOC,
My truck sat in the driveway with no hood and not running from 2006-2014.
I removed everything forward of the cab, except steering and suspension. So i only recently installed wiper arms and blades. I have my original nozzles. I'm gonna go through all of it and clean, paint, lube, replace whatever needs it. I don't have a washer bottle, hoses. I'll pull transmission arms, and whatever else is exterior and restore them. Replace wiper motor with a NEW unit and maybe washer pump just to have new in there. Which wiper motor would be the correct replacement for my 72 C10? I'm assuming it's the 3-terminal non-depressed motor unit....but I could be wrong. I may even get a new wiper switch, but I'm not looking forward to paying almost $40 for a new one.lol. But then again, I do have all new headlight switch, dimmer switch, and ignition switch. It's a good thing I've slowly been going through the truck because I can imagine this turning into one of those "while I'm down there I may as well replace..."

Old 03-16-2018, 08:05 PM   #100
Mav

I will try, hard to see anything with motor in, but will see what I can do thanks be back on in a bit.