The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-10-2013, 10:25 PM   #1
9toes

dome light

Where do i connect the wires for the dome light. Bought one from LMC and it has orange and white wires with a plug on the end. Is there some place i can just plug it in or do i have to cut plug off and wire each wire somewhere? 72 C10
9toes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:39 PM   #2
Wrenchbender Ret

Re: dome light

The orange wire connects to the fuse block to a circuit that is hot all the time. The white wire goes to the headlight switch. There is a connector near the rear that grounds it when you turn the knob all the way clockwise.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:51 PM   #3
mr48chev

The orange wire is the power and the white goes to ground. The orange wire can be traced back to the headlight switch. The white wire connects to the door switches for ground. There should be a plug on the wires when you pull the old light out that your light plugs into. If someone has removed the light earlier you might have to make a hook on the end of a piece of welding rod or wire coat hanger and do a bit of fishing.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:56 PM   #4
9toes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
The orange wire is the power and the white goes to ground. The orange wire can be traced back to the headlight switch. The white wire connects to the door switches for ground. There should be a plug on the wires when you pull the old light out that your light plugs into. If someone has removed the light earlier you might have to make a hook on the end of a piece of welding rod or wire coat hanger and do a bit of fishing.
The truck was 90% restored when we got it, and one of the things not done was dome light. All wires , and light was missing. Bought one and put in and ran wires down to floor. Was not sure what to do next. From what i have found so far the orange is hot, and can be hooked to brake wire or to hot wire at fuse box. The white wire is ground and hooks to the light switch(somewhere). Is this correct?
9toes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:36 PM   #5
mr48chev

Oops < I forgot about the white wire running up to the switch so you can turn the light on with the switch with the doors closed.

Let me go dig the wiring diagram out and get some better shots.

Here, this might help some http://outintheshop.com/faq/wiring/wiring.htm

The back part of the diagram is further down on the page.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.

Last edited by mr48chev; 06-10-2013 at 11:42 PM.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote