The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-12-2017, 05:07 PM   #1
andrewpclayton

stereo head unit upgrade

Is it blasphemous to cut the dash for a regular single din car stereo? I see it every once in awhile but I wonder does it affect resale value? Is it considered 'trashy?' is a retrosound unit the best option or does it really matter to you?
andrewpclayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 05:11 PM   #2
Blue18

Re: stereo head unit upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewpclayton View Post
Is it blasphemous to cut the dash for a regular single din car stereo? I see it every once in awhile but I wonder does it affect resale value? Is it considered 'trashy?' is a retrosound unit the best option or does it really matter to you?
I think it just depends on what caliber truck you are building. if its a beater cut it and enjoy that 50 dollar walmart stereo!
Blue18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 05:18 PM   #3
randy500
Account Suspended

I agree cut it all up, use it up, ruin it....
randy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 07:01 PM   #4
bill3rail

Oh Lord Jesus! Another unguided, lost truck builder!
As was stated if it is a beater that will end up in the junkyard, it may not matter too much.

Personally I would NOT cut it up.
Old 09-12-2017, 07:02 PM   #5
truckster

You ask about resale value. If you're asking that question, don't cut it.
Old 09-12-2017, 11:58 PM   #6
custom10nut

This is coming from a guy that doesn't like even drilling at holes in my truck.
It's your truck, so in the end you're going to do what you want.
My opinion: If it's not cut, don't. I have seen them cut in by professionals, and they look good, but the money spent on a good job could be put toward one of the two options I list below.
Two options for you are
1. To put in a Retro unit. Can be a little pricey but they have just about any option you could want in them, except a CD player.
2. Put in a radio delete plate and mount the stereo of your choice, either in the glove box, under the seat, or where ever else you might like it.
I'm leaning toward using my delete plate, and mounting an up-to-date stereo in my center console, controlled by the hand remote.
custom10nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 12:05 AM   #7
HO455
Post Whore

Take some time and calculate how much it would cost you to return the truck to an uncut condition. Parts and labor, including paint. So let's pretend your wanting an uncut truck then ask yourself if that amount of money would make you look for a different truck to buy. For resale uncut is always better. Anyone can cut a dash in10 minutes.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 01:35 AM   #8
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Geeze, just do it. But do a nice job when you do. Save the pieces you cut off in case you have cutters remorse.

Monroe Swap meet May 18-19.
Mike has the same spots for the NW guys he's had forever.
Lunch time BBQ at the spaces.
If you have stuff to sell bring it along.

If you have a question PM stllookn (Mike) here via the board.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851291
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 07:39 AM   #9
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: stereo head unit upgrade

It's your truck! If you want a nice radio that works nice cut it and forget it!

Most of the people who say don't cut your dash have cut so much out of their frames it ant drivable on most roads in the USA! They added wheels and every other thing they could find to put on their truck. Just do it and be done.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 08:36 AM   #10
Mike C

Back in the day I hemmed and hawed about cutting the dash. But in 1990 I did it in my Jimmy for an Alpine pull-out CD player. Best. Mod. Ever. If you are driving the truck a lot (and I spent at least 15 hours a month between Lubbock and Austin at 55 mph...) and it let you hear the music with the top off.

When I got my '70 Sierra Grande big block truck (2 owner, 117,000 miles almost all original in '98) I didn't even blink when it came time to cut. First thing I did after disc brakes.

Now with my '69 short step: cut. Once again pluses out weigh minuses. IMO, mods on trucks that are done well (this IS important...) don't negatively hurt resale. And, once again IMO, they make it better to drive.

Cut it. But don't F it up.
68 Camaro 'vert LT1 & TH700
69 Z/28 355 12.6's @110
69 Chevy Short Step 4 1/2"/7" drop
72 Jimmy 4WD 4spd 4" & 35's
02 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Duramax
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 09:45 AM   #11
truckster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
Most of the people who say don't cut your dash have cut so much out of their frames it ant drivable on most roads in the USA! They added wheels and every other thing they could find to put on their truck. Just do it and be done.
That assumes you know "most of the people who say don't cut your dash." Possible, but not likely.

The OP asked about resale value. If that's an issue, cutting the dash is probably not in his best interest.

Andrew, if you plan to keep it, by all means do whatever you want to YOUR truck. But if you plan to sell it, you need to consider what potential buyers are looking for. For many people who buy classic vehicles a cut dash is a big negative.
Old 09-13-2017, 12:56 PM   #12
HO455
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
It's your truck! If you want a nice radio that works nice cut it and forget it!

OK by your logic the people who cut their frames (to lower them I assume). And then"added wheels". (Again I assume you me larger and not additional) and lord knows what you mean by "every other thing" are the the same people who " say don't cut your dash". Is that because cutting the dash is modification too many? Please support your logic by linking us to the threads where this is happening.
Old 09-13-2017, 02:30 PM   #13
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

I agree seeing you are asking you are thinking about resale and it seems these days the original unmolested trucks are what sell the quickest. Attached is a link to as has been mentioned one of the modern versions of the original radio. Although pricey if you bought one then decided to sell you truck down the road you could always pull it out and put the original radio back in.

http://www.mikehaganantiqueautoradio...reo-radio.html

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" 4 Things When Used are Gone Forever "

" A Word After it is Said - A Missed Opportunity - Time once Passed - Trust after its Lost "

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 08:34 PM   #14
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: stereo head unit upgrade

The resale value of a truck is based on a radio! Really since when?

Ya'll are kidding your self. I wouldn't even think twice of a truck with a nice radio cut into the dash not one penny worth!

You want proof look at all the trucks out there that have them lowered to the ground put wheels any wheel that isn't a stock wheel which includes truck ralleys seat's out of a newer truck late model motors you name it but don't cut the dash in your truck. It's just like any other mod, if it's done right it makes no difference in price of the truck! The remote radio and stuff is nice if that's what you want.

If your going for all out originality truck then yes I agree it may hurt the price a little.
Cut it and be done and make it your's!

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 11:12 AM   #15
special-K
Special Order

Educate yourself and find there are alternatives to leave dash unchopped while gaining great sounds. There are modern electronics conversions for factory radios that gain you a 180w stereo with ports & controls for XM/Sirius, MP3, & CD remote units. This costs more than a couple few hundred so, if it's a matter of economics, chop it and forget about the lost resale value or the cost of repairing till later.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 09-14-2017 at 07:03 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 12:29 PM   #16
jocko

Yes it's blasphemous!! Yes it hurts resale IF it's a nice truck. There, I said it . Of COURSE it's your truck and you can do what you wish - but you asked, and that would be my 2 cents. There weren't many options for upgrades that didn't involve cutting the dash in the 80's and 90's - but there are many options today. Highly recommend don't cut it and go with an out of sight system controlled by remote. If $ the issue - rig up an iPod with all your stuff on it and upgrade speakers. You asked - and you'll get tons of opinions - in the end, it actually sounds to me like you're hesitant to cut it. So don't. Buy one of those custom auto sound systems that fit in stock locations (if money is an issue) and call it a day. They are at least as good as the 80's Kraco!

Last edited by jocko; 09-13-2017 at 12:35 PM.
jocko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 12:40 PM   #17
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

I have never done anything to an old truck and worry about "resale value". You ain't gonna get out of it what you put into it anyways.

I cut the dash for a "modern stereo" in a 1967 C10 back in the day. Looked good and was functional to me. My Dad also cut his dash in his 1970 CST/10 a long time ago and installed a really nice Kenwood unit. He could easily get $6,000 or more for his rig and nobody would bat an eye at the stereo in the dash.

I need to install a stereo in my current rig and am a sucker for oldish looking modern systems with all the knobs and push buttons of yore. But has all the modern amenities as described above. I'm also eventually going to mount an amplifier under the seat as well.

It's your dash... cut it if you want. Cats are hacking up long beds to make ugly short bed trucks at an alarming rate, so a cut dash isn't a thing if you ask me.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 12:07 AM   #18
HO455
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewpclayton View Post
Whether it affects value is obviously up for debate. But it does reduce the pool of buyers. I went with a Gary Tayman conversion unit and am very happy with it so far. ( its only been a couple of weeks since installation) I will give it more time and will post a review.
Old 09-14-2017, 02:08 AM   #19
Malo83
Cruzzzn' Vet

I wouldn't !
Malo83 is offline   Reply With Quote