The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-25-2018, 09:40 PM   #1
chevyman95

Looking at this 57, what do you think?

I'm looking at possible picking up this 1957. What do you guys think? What should I be looking out for? I just want a nice driver. Not looking to do a lot of work on it. Thanks

https://www.vintagecarcollector.com/...100-task-force
chevyman95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 10:02 PM   #2
Jesse Z
Account Suspended

Re: Looking at this 57, what do you think?

Hard to tell from photos but if the same level of workmanship has been put into the mechanicals as has been applied to those body panels, you have a winner.

I like that it's a California truck. Cal vehicles start out with less rust and I've noticed that the bar is set so high there that vehicles are predominantly top quality. Since the frame is not painted, it's probably not a frame-off restoration. I note a disc brake conversion - that's good. Power steering too. But there's a lot of grease on the transmission crossmember, indicating leakage. I also notice that despite the immaculate body there's a modicum of scuffing in the box, showing that the previous owner actually used it for some light hauling, from which one can infer it is driveable and reliable. It appears to be an original six-banger, three-on-the-tree, and I-beam axle, so it's not going to have the performance, handling or amenities of a modified truck. That doesn't mean it's not an adequate driver however. Just some observations to help you decide if it's right for you.
Jesse Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 11:39 PM   #3
Softpatch

what is your daily drive now....?
and how far would you drive it in a day.?
that turck does not look maintnance free

non cincro first gear.?
straight front axle
leef spring all around
suspect sprayed bed linner.?
cool truck worth the money
not a daily driver
1966 C-20 .....Swap 91 G-30(5.7 FI)/4L80E
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=789617
59 Viking Revival .. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=632341
Softpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 01:06 AM   #4
svr

You really cant tell any rust problems without a crawl around it checking normal areas, cab corners, hinge pockets, ect. Just looking at the bottom side pick my WAG is a lot of liquid overhaul, and skipped over stuff out of sight. Just me but I would look carefully.
Old 02-26-2018, 03:52 AM   #5
Jesse Z
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softpatch View Post
Man, wouldn't it be great if they were!
Old 02-26-2018, 05:23 AM   #6
mongocanfly
Post Whore

probably couldnt build that truck for that money if you started off with a rust bucket like most are....defiantly not going anywhere fast in it...im thinking more like 15k though....

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 10:54 AM   #7
Black_Sheep

Not a bad looking truck, but I would want to inspect it first hand before shelling out $20K.

The price sounds kind of high if it turns out to be a rattle can resto...

Normal spots for rust, door bottoms, cab corners, lower front fenders behind the front tires, fender eyebrows. Test the lights, wipers, heater, gauges, horn, everything...

Last edited by Black_Sheep; 02-26-2018 at 10:59 AM.
Black_Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 11:53 AM   #8
CountofMonteCarlo84

Looks about right for the money in my opinion. I would never be satisfied with a 6 banger though. If it is not a problem for you, then it looks like a decent truck.
CountofMonteCarlo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 02:06 PM   #9
lv2tri2

If it is possible to talk to the owner that did the work, there is a better chance to find what has been done or needs to be. If you don't intend to spend more on it, you may not be happy with either the handling or speed.
lv2tri2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 02:18 PM   #10
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softpatch View Post
what is your daily drive now....?
and how far would you drive it in a day.?

non cincro first gear.?
straight front axle
leef spring all around
suspect sprayed bed linner.?
cool truck worth the money
not a daily driver

LOLOL, boy do you guys miss out on an enjoyable day when you think an AWESOME truck like that isn't a daily driver, wow.

I drive something like that every single day, it's even got a flat head motor, EVERY-SINGLE-DAY I drive it and it's a blessing!

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 05:05 PM   #11
mr48chev

Well it isn't a 75 Mph down the freeway daily commuter just because of the power but a guy with a degree of sanity won't have a problem with it as a daily.

I agree on one thing, don't buy it if you cannot inspect it yourself or have someone who is reliable and has a critical eye inspect it. This is where you take your nit picker buddy along who alway manages to spot the least fault in anything he is looking at and not my buddy who sees everthing though rose colored glasses .

The too shiny on the top side and too dirty and a bit crusty on the bottom side kind of screams out flipper did the cosmetics and bolted on a bunch of new chrome trying to double or tripple his money. That is why you have to really look it over before buying it.

I'd agree though that a guy might be hard pressed to buy a decent project truck and get it to that outward appearance for that amount of money unless you can do the majority of the work and are a good shopper to boot.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 05:19 PM   #12
Jesse Z
Account Suspended

Ha ha, this thread has managed to prove just one thing: opinions are like, er, a-holes - everybody has one. And when you ask for opinions online, watch out!

If I were considering that truck, price would be the final determination. I'd happily own it for $10,000. At that price you got a good deal. You can enjoy it for awhile and either 1) have enough reserve left to fix it up, or 2) sell it an be assured of getting your money back or even make a little profit.

At $15,000 you're paying on the high end; it's really gotta be your dream truck.

At $20,000 you're getting hosed.

It's a dealer - they probably bought it at a wholesale price. Put the ball in their court and make them a lowball offer. They just might take it.
Old 02-26-2018, 05:28 PM   #13
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
Well it isn't a 75 Mph down the freeway daily commuter just because of the power but a guy with a degree of sanity won't have a problem with it as a daily.

I agree on one thing, don't buy it if you cannot inspect it yourself or have someone who is reliable and has a critical eye inspect it. This is where you take your nit picker buddy along who alway manages to spot the least fault in anything he is looking at and not my buddy who sees everthing though rose colored glasses .

The too shiny on the top side and too dirty and a bit crusty on the bottom side kind of screams out flipper did the cosmetics and bolted on a bunch of new chrome trying to double or tripple his money. That is why you have to really look it over before buying it.

I'd agree though that a guy might be hard pressed to buy a decent project truck and get it to that outward appearance for that amount of money unless you can do the majority of the work and are a good shopper to boot.
Yeah guys, don't get me wrong obviously if you are commuting at 75 for 20 miles every morning and night this doesn't work real well. But damn, if you aren't doing that it would be an awesome daily driver.
I still get on the freeway with my Rambler, flathead three speed without over drive and the motor screaming it's brains out. I just get in the slow lane and take my time. But I have taken it all over the bay on the freeway. I just wouldn't want to every single day. But with an overdrive that is all it would take, and I have one of those out in the shed.

And yes, it does sound like a LOT of money for it. But that is where these things are going that is for sure. It doesn't look like a $20K truck to me, that bed is a bit funky, is the wood all rotted and a piece of plywood screwed over the top? That's kinda odd, and the underside looks old and original, just doesn't seem like a $20K truck to me. The painted radiator is seriously funky.

Brian

Last edited by MARTINSR; 02-26-2018 at 05:34 PM.
Old 02-26-2018, 06:07 PM   #14
Black_Sheep

Is there such a thing as too frugal? In the eyes of Prinsburg, Minnesota, resident Bob Sportel, the answer is clearly “no.” After 38 years, the now-retired Sportel is still driving the same 1957 Chevrolet half-ton pickup he paid $75 for back in 1976.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yGhLa1NzUI
Black_Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 06:20 PM   #15
Foot Stomper

Brian "MARTINSR" has nailed it!
It looks like a great daily driver! Worth far more than somebody's bag of mistakes with disc brakes and LS swaps and C notch crap!
If you do buy it, please change the fender emblems... they are on backwards.

My 1959 GMC build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=686989
Foot Stomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 07:06 PM   #16
Dan in Pasadena

I’ll put in my two cents and agree it looks very nice from above. But the undercarriage tells me it has received a cosmetic redo and unless you look very closely you won’t know if its just a “pretty face.”

Besides the leaks and unpainted frame (not a bad thing in and of itself) I’d be highly suspicious of the usual rust locations and take a good magnet with me to inspect it.

In SoCal this is NOT a high price. In fact it might be a little low for an asking price. Default to the usual, “if it's too good to be true, it usually is”

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 11:28 AM   #17
CountofMonteCarlo84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Z View Post
Ha ha, this thread has managed to prove just one thing: opinions are like, er, a-holes - everybody has one. And when you ask for opinions online, watch out!

If I were considering that truck, price would be the final determination. I'd happily own it for $10,000. At that price you got a good deal. You can enjoy it for awhile and either 1) have enough reserve left to fix it up, or 2) sell it an be assured of getting your money back or even make a little profit.

At $15,000 you're paying on the high end; it's really gotta be your dream truck.

At $20,000 you're getting hosed.

It's a dealer - they probably bought it at a wholesale price. Put the ball in their court and make them a lowball offer. They just might take it.
No offense, but when was the last time you tried to buy one of these trucks that looks that good cosmetically? $10,000?! You will never find this truck for $10,000, at least not within 50-100 miles of any major city I know. I would be surprised if you could even find one that nice for $15,000, even with the 6 banger. I don't think it is necessarily worth 20 because of the funky bed situation, but the frame and underside looking original does not bother me, in fact I would rather see what is going on under there. As someone who has bought one of these within the last 2 years, searched for a decent truck for years preceding that, and still looks almost weekly at the prices being asked for them and attends car corrals, ect... the asking price is not bad for what I can see in the photos.
CountofMonteCarlo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 11:59 AM   #18
whitedog76

The truck does look like it WAS someones daily driver. The paint looks fairly fresh. On the other hand, the sheet metal bed and the copious amounts of Rustoleum, raise my eyebrows a little.

My buddy was a painter at Maaco for years. It's amazing what a fresh coat of paint and buff job can do to a car's appearance. 5 years down the road... Well, maybe not so much.

Vintage trucks are hot sellers now. Thanks to Barrett Jackson Auction and all the shows on TV, some folks think they have a gold mine regardless of condition.

Here in the Midwest, I would never give that kind of coin for the particular truck. There could be too much hiding under the fresh paint. If it were from a dryer, less salty climate. Well, I would definately take a look at it.

In the end, it's not my money or decision.

Good luck.
whitedog76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 12:26 AM   #19
57chevyman

in my opinion , for $20k the truck oughta have a nice looking wood bed. that bed interior looks crappy. im also suprised they used the picture of the leaky rear end.
good that it has disk brakes and power steering. no mention of air conditioning... and probably also has the gas tank in the cab, and original front suspension.
these things considered, i dont think its worth any more than $15k.. thats assuming everything works the way its supposed to

1957 Chevy 3100
2000 Silverado z71 SOLD
2012 Ram 1500 Quad Cab
1992 International 4700
57chevyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 04:41 AM   #20
Jesse Z
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountofMonteCarlo84 View Post
No offense, but when was the last time you tried to buy one of these trucks that looks that good cosmetically? $10,000?!
I am extremely current on prices. I have bought and sold several similar trucks in the last two years. I check Craigslist and Ebay DAILY for the last five years. I offered a range from $10,000 (what I'd consider a wholesale price that a dealer would pay) to $15,000 (what I think the retail value is), to $20,000 (the dealer's stated NEGOTIABLE asking price). High and low book - the Kelly Blue Book format. Keep in mind, just like this truck, the high prices you often see are ASKING prices; the actual selling price is usually far less.

Here are Ebay completed listings for similar trucks.

This one has nice body and paint, with original running gear, went unsold at $7999 starting price:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1957-Chevro...p2047675.l2557

This one is VERY nice and has a V8. It sold for $7800:

Cosmetically nice '58 with stock drive train, sold for $6500:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1958-Chevro...p2047675.l2557

Last edited by Jesse Z; 02-28-2018 at 04:54 AM.
Old 02-28-2018, 10:51 AM   #21
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Z View Post
I am extremely current on prices. I have bought and sold several similar trucks in the last two years. I check Craigslist and Ebay DAILY for the last five years. I offered a range from $10,000 (what I'd consider a wholesale price that a dealer would pay) to $15,000 (what I think the retail value is), to $20,000 (the dealer's stated NEGOTIABLE asking price). High and low book - the Kelly Blue Book format. Keep in mind, just like this truck, the high prices you often see are ASKING prices; the actual selling price is usually far less.

Here are Ebay completed listings for similar trucks.

This one has nice body and paint, with original running gear, went unsold at $7999 starting price:

This one is VERY nice and has a V8. It sold for $7800:

Cosmetically nice '58 with stock drive train, sold for $6500:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1958-Chevro...p2047675.l2557

Good stuff Jesse! I haven't done anything like you have and thought the prices crazy, good to see that they aren't as crazy as they appeared to me and you can still get something nice for a decent price.

Brian

Old 02-28-2018, 06:11 PM   #22
Jesse Z
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Good stuff Jesse! I haven't done anything like you have and thought the prices crazy, good to see that they aren't as crazy as they appeared to me and you can still get something nice for a decent price.
Brian
Well, these trucks are hot sellers and prices are high, but if you're a diligent buyer good deals can still be had. Conversely, if you're a seller, patience can reward you with a tidy profit.
Old 03-01-2018, 10:40 AM   #23
MARTINSR

YEP!

Brian

Old 03-01-2018, 07:05 PM   #24
G&R's57GMC

In any case go see it in person before buying. It will be the best way to determine its condition and value. The trip may cost a few bucks . But could save you thousands.
'56 Chevy Long Bed I6, 4 speed Bought 1990 Sold 8.22.2020
’56 GMC Suburban Pickup V8, 4 speed Hydramatic Bought 1996 Sold 10.11.2020
My Other Tinkerings http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...75#post8967275
G&R's57GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 12:46 AM   #25
dan42

Agree that it's probably a flip, or someone making a good commission off of it. Personally I would keep looking.
dan42 is offline   Reply With Quote