The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network







Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2013, 09:44 AM   #1
chevyguy_72
Vintage Evil
 
chevyguy_72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Broomfield, CO
Posts: 919
'11 Camaro SS or CTS-V brakes on a 72?

I found a decent priced sets of both new Camaro SS CTS-V Brakes take offs.
Anyone know if I can trans plant them onto the truck with different rotors?
Planning using CPP Modular drop spindles in the front and have a 9" for the rear.
Thanks
chevyguy_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:49 PM   #2
Ziegelsteinfaust
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Chino Hills
Posts: 1,399
Re: '11 Camaro SS or CTS-V brakes on a 72?

You have to have a drum brake spindle and hub to do the mod. There is a couple of write up online for doing it to a Camaro.

You'll first need 5x4.75 bolt pattern.

Possibly turn your drum hats to fit the rotor hat.

Set rotor, and caliper on your modified drum hat.

Then you have to use 1/4 quality plate steel, and cut it so it sits where your backing plate once sat. Then you can bend or cut and weld your way to where the caliper needs to be.
Ziegelsteinfaust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:59 PM   #3
chevyguy_72
Vintage Evil
 
chevyguy_72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Broomfield, CO
Posts: 919
Re: '11 Camaro SS or CTS-V brakes on a 72?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziegelsteinfaust View Post
You have to have a drum brake spindle and hub to do the mod. There is a couple of write up online for doing it to a Camaro.

You'll first need 5x4.75 bolt pattern.

Possibly turn your drum hats to fit the rotor hat.

Set rotor, and caliper on your modified drum hat.

Then you have to use 1/4 quality plate steel, and cut it so it sits where your backing plate once sat. Then you can bend or cut and weld your way to where the caliper needs to be.
hmmm was hoping I could stick with a 5x5 pattern...
thought maybe I could just get some aftermarket spindles/ discs and bolt these calipers to them...
chevyguy_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 01:03 PM   #4
ulakovic22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Lantana, TX
Posts: 422
Re: '11 Camaro SS or CTS-V brakes on a 72?

You should talk to way2lo2. He currently has Corvette brake kits using C10 parts and if you send him your take offs, he can see how it works out and get you setup.
ulakovic22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:52 PM   #5
Ziegelsteinfaust
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Chino Hills
Posts: 1,399
Re: '11 Camaro SS or CTS-V brakes on a 72?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyguy_72 View Post
hmmm was hoping I could stick with a 5x5 pattern...
thought maybe I could just get some aftermarket spindles/ discs and bolt these calipers to them...
Of course you could re-drill the rotors for 5x5. The go about it.

I was thinking you wanted to run 5x4.75
Ziegelsteinfaust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 11:20 PM   #6
wraprail
Registered User
 
wraprail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 856
Re: '11 Camaro SS or CTS-V brakes on a 72?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulakovic22 View Post
You should talk to way2lo2. He currently has Corvette brake kits using C10 parts and if you send him your take offs, he can see how it works out and get you setup.
X2^^^ There is a thread on here somewhere concerning this. He put out the offer if someone had a set of V calipers to send him for mock-up he would consider making the brackets. I don't know if anyone sent him a set.
What I do know (I used to own an 05 V and have had the brakes apart a few times) is that the 2004-07 CTS V uses the same Brembo (F & R) as the new Camaro SS does with the Brembo option. The 2009-13 V also uses the same rear caliper as mentioned above but has a giant 6 pistion Brembo front caliper that just happends to use the same bolt spacing and offset and will almost bolt in place of the above mentioned front caliper. Only change is a larger bolt size (12mm vs 14mm) drill out the hole and they bolt on. You may already know all this, I get exicted whenever this comes up cuz I want to do it too!
way2lo2 currently has a polt on deal front and rear using corvette rotors and calipers including a Z06 option. Its a really nice setup. I just know, having messed around with the cadillac calipers and what I learned on the cadillac forums, that the cad/camaro calipers are 100x the caliper the vette ones are.
Another thing is i'm pretty sure the cad/camaro brake rotors are larger diameter, thicker and have a larger pad surface that they may not fit well on the corvette rotors. The vette rotord are the same f & r IIRC. The cadillac rotors are 14.5"? rear and 14" front with the fronts being thicker. I still have a full set here left over (sold the car) I will have to measure them. Also, The rear caliper does not have a parking brake (its a drum type in the rotor) so you can probley forget about a parking brake. It could be done but the expense I don't think would be worth it. There are orher cheaper easier options out there.
I have had the rotors just thrown up on my stock truck rotors/spindles just to get an idea. The cadillac rotors cover the stock caliper, everything. I had the stock 18s on my caddie for a while and the stock rotors take up the whole wheel!

Ok , before I write a whole book.....(almost is)
lol
__________________

Last edited by wraprail; 08-06-2013 at 11:22 PM. Reason: I DIDN';T PROOF READ OR SPELL CHECK SO HOPE IT MAKES SENCE
wraprail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 12:56 AM   #7
c10seconds
Registered User
 
c10seconds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: gilbert,AZ
Posts: 949
Re: '11 Camaro SS or CTS-V brakes on a 72?

I would recommend purchasing a complete kit. After all the leg work, machining and cost of custom caliper brackets etc its just not worth it in the end. I did this and will never do it again.

way2lo2 is the guy to talk to. He already got it all figured out for you
c10seconds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:43 PM   #8
theastronaut
Registered User
 
theastronaut's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Anderson SC
Posts: 3,227
Re: '11 Camaro SS or CTS-V brakes on a 72?

This guy did it, I PM'd him and this is what he said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by raic65
As for the brackets, I designed the front brackets and had a local machine shop manufacture them. The rear brackets I designed and fabricated myself.

One thing I may have failed to mention in the thread, I used CPP billet hubs from their big brake kit and had it modified to fit the corvette rotor. I will eventually be using the CTS-V rotor because Centric/Power-slot came out with a more economical rotor and will allow me to use the full pad height. One of the disadvantages with the corvette rotor is you don't use the whole pad. The corvette rotor is 14" whereas the CTS-V is 14.5". The extra .5" utilizes the remaining brake pad.

I got the idea for this brake swap from Chevy High Performance where they installed the same brakes on a 4th gen Camaro. Since I had access to a 4th gen I was able to take measurements from it to design my bracket. When I eventually swap to the CTS-V rotor, it will not require me to change my caliper bracket, but just remove a spacer I installed similar to what they did in Chevy High Performance.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Robert

Link to his post:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...22&postcount=5


Quote:
Originally Posted by raic65 View Post
66 C10
Wheels:
Front - C6 Corvette Grandsport 18x9.5 using 1.75" thick wheel adapter
Nitto Invo Tires 275/45-R18
Rear - C6 Corvette Grandsport 19x12 using 2.5" thick wheel adapter
Nitto Invo Tires 345/30-r19
Front Suspension: Stock with the exception of the following
CPP 1" Lowering Springs
CPP Modular Spindles
REZ Engineering Power Steering Conversion
Summit Racing Toxic Shocks
Rear Suspension: Stock with the exception of the following
Ridetech Coolride bags
CPP Deluxe Panhard Bar Kit
Addco Rear Swaybar
Summit Racing Toxic Shocks
ECC Shock Relocation Kit
Brakes:
Front - 2009-12 CTS-V Caliper w/ C6 Z06 Rotors mounted on CPP billet hub and custom Caliper Bracket
Rear - 2009-12 CTS-V mounted with custom Caliper Bracket
Drivetrain:
2007 Silverado 6.0 LY6 with 6 speed 6L90 2WD Transmission




theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 05:34 PM   #9
bigo181979
Junior Member
 
bigo181979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: wichita, ks
Posts: 242
Re: '11 Camaro SS or CTS-V brakes on a 72?

I have actually been talking with Tobin at Kore3 about doing zo6 brakes on my truck they make a bracket for the CPP spindle shoot him an email and I am sure he can help you out with what you will need tobin.knighton@kore3.com
bigo181979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:58 PM   #10
Tork?
Active Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 159
Re: '11 Camaro SS or CTS-V brakes on a 72?

It's really not that difficult if you already have front disc brakes. I'm guessing you have a 72 so you're set.

You need a bracket for the new calipers to mount to. The bracket will have 4 holes. 2 to mount to the spindle in the original caliper holes, and 2 to mount the new caliper to. The caliper bracket will space the caliper out enough to slip over the rotor of your choice. Your rotors will depend on what bolt pattern you run. You could get new hubs to run a different bolt pattern, or you could have the rotors from a new Camaro SS/CTS-V/ZO6 redrilled to your 5x5. Depending on the rotor you may have to machine the hub opening a little to slip over the 5x5 hub, if you stay 5x5. Make sure to get supporting parts like brake lines and make sure the rest of the system is up to the task.

CTS-V and Camaro SS caliper and rotors (same) should work great on these trucks because they all weigh about the same.
Tork? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:59 PM   #11
Tork?
Active Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 159
Re: '11 Camaro SS or CTS-V brakes on a 72?

I forgot to mention, if you do go with these brakes, you will likely need at least 18" wheels to clear the calipers. Some guys get away with 17s only by grinding the calipers down.
Tork? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 08:21 PM   #12
dkauffman05
Registered User
 
dkauffman05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Cumming, Georgia
Posts: 416
Re: '11 Camaro SS or CTS-V brakes on a 72?

What ever happened to this idea. I want to put those cts - calipers or brembo's on a build.???
dkauffman05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 07:16 AM   #13
PGSigns
Senior Member
 
PGSigns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Hayes Va
Posts: 3,684
Re: '11 Camaro SS or CTS-V brakes on a 72?

I went to Kore3's web site and they have a lot of kits for GM. Would be worth giving them a call.
JImmy
__________________
60 to 66 Chevy and GMC window decals
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=661131
Good friends, good food and a hotrod what else do you need?
1966 BBW long fleet Daily driver
1965 BBW short fleet Sold and going to a good home
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
PGSigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 11:40 PM   #14
SierraMtns
Senior Member
 
SierraMtns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Shingle Springs, CA
Posts: 819
Re: '11 Camaro SS or CTS-V brakes on a 72?

Anyone have figures on the rear bracket to run this big ole monster rotors?
SierraMtns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 10:48 AM   #15
theastronaut
Registered User
 
theastronaut's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Anderson SC
Posts: 3,227
Re: '11 Camaro SS or CTS-V brakes on a 72?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraMtns View Post
Anyone have figures on the rear bracket to run this big ole monster rotors?
There's no way the rear brakes will work on a stock 12 bolt, they have too much axle end play to use a non-floating caliper. You'll need at minimum a 9" with Torino ends, and some people are having problems with those too. I'm looking at using a circle track/off road style 9"floater for my '66 to make sure there is no end play. Any end play will push the pads/pistons back and you won't have a brake pedal until you pump it a time or two.

http://www.9inchfloater.com/
theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 12:53 PM   #16
KevinK7
Registered User
 
KevinK7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Hudson Valley, New York
Posts: 122
Re: '11 Camaro SS or CTS-V brakes on a 72?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraprail View Post
X2^^^ There is a thread on here somewhere concerning this. He put out the offer if someone had a set of V calipers to send him for mock-up he would consider making the brackets. I don't know if anyone sent him a set.
What I do know (I used to own an 05 V and have had the brakes apart a few times) is that the 2004-07 CTS V uses the same Brembo (F & R) as the new Camaro SS does with the Brembo option. The 2009-13 V also uses the same rear caliper as mentioned above but has a giant 6 pistion Brembo front caliper that just happends to use the same bolt spacing and offset and will almost bolt in place of the above mentioned front caliper. Only change is a larger bolt size (12mm vs 14mm) drill out the hole and they bolt on. You may already know all this, I get exicted whenever this comes up cuz I want to do it too!
way2lo2 currently has a polt on deal front and rear using corvette rotors and calipers including a Z06 option. Its a really nice setup. I just know, having messed around with the cadillac calipers and what I learned on the cadillac forums, that the cad/camaro calipers are 100x the caliper the vette ones are.
Another thing is i'm pretty sure the cad/camaro brake rotors are larger diameter, thicker and have a larger pad surface that they may not fit well on the corvette rotors. The vette rotord are the same f & r IIRC. The cadillac rotors are 14.5"? rear and 14" front with the fronts being thicker. I still have a full set here left over (sold the car) I will have to measure them. Also, The rear caliper does not have a parking brake (its a drum type in the rotor) so you can probley forget about a parking brake. It could be done but the expense I don't think would be worth it. There are orher cheaper easier options out there.
I have had the rotors just thrown up on my stock truck rotors/spindles just to get an idea. The cadillac rotors cover the stock caliper, everything. I had the stock 18s on my caddie for a while and the stock rotors take up the whole wheel!

Ok , before I write a whole book.....(almost is)
lol

Years old, but good info. Thanks for posting.

Ironically, I have a '14 SS Camaro that I upgraded to ZL1 brakes (6-piston up front, same as SS in the rear) ...and I have my complete factory rotors, calipers, etc. (with just a few thousand miles on them) that if I can use them on my '68 C10 I wouldn't mind doing so ; )

Kevin
KevinK7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1997-2013 67-72chevytrucks.com