The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-23-2018, 11:25 PM   #101
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Re: Why do you live where you live?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
I browse through this thread now and again, and after reading this I had to go through it one more time. Didn't see the haters, maybe you are just talking in general about how California gets a lot of grief from the rest of the country?

Im Western Washington State born (1959) and raised. We have everything you do in California, but thankfully more rain. I love me some green. I do wish we had a whole lot less Californians though, maybe you could give em all a shout and ask em what the heck they were thinking moving out of Cali, talk a little horse sense in to them and hopefully they will go home in droves ... Haha! I'm just busting your chops.

I actually love California, especially Northern Cali. I could easily live there. Now Seattle, no way I would ever live in there. Because of my job I have to spend way too much time in a city I used to really love.
People from California can pretty much be the Ugly Americans of America, especially if they just sold a house they purchased in the '50s for $12k and got $1M for it and are buying a home out of state for retirement. Thing is, many people in California are all up about the law, and when they move somewhere else they lawyer up about stuff that people in those other states don't even care about. I saw it happen when I lived in Idaho back in the mid-'70s. I've lived in California for 57 of my 65 years. I've seen some crazy stuff. I've known kids in high school (in the '60s) whose parents made a living by suing people, even back then.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 10:06 AM   #102
davischevy

It interesting that the one post that mentions hating and negativity is one of the only if not the only negative post in this thread.

Where you live is like the truck you drive. If you pay for it, It's none of my business and if your happy with it, I am too.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 10:44 AM   #103
flashed

My area must be getting very popular , houses going up everywhere and realestate people wanting my acreage , they just cant have it .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 03:09 PM   #104
chip46wis

Why northern Wis? I/we love the clean water---the trees.the lower population and general freedom we enjoy.the four seasons ect ect.However the taxes here are getting out of line,in 19 years my taxes went almost 7 fold! we are looking at northern minn quite seriously.
chip46wis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 12:36 PM   #105
pritch

I was out taking my dog for a run this morning and came across this tractor sitting right on top of one of the overpasses crossing I-80. Looks like they lost a wheel bearing on the rake. No one around, cordless DeWalt laying out on the road, along with the rest of the dude's tools.

There is no doubt in my mind that all that stuff will all still be there when they get back with the parts.

This is why I live where I live...
Ol' Green
pritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 02:30 PM   #106
slomotion
Old Duffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pritch View Post

There is no doubt in my mind that all that stuff will all still be there when they get back with the parts.

Excellent reason!

'81 G10 Shorty Van

"Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement." Will Rogers

"Under promise, then over achieve."
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 11:01 PM   #107
davischevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pritch View Post
I was out taking my dog for a run this morning and came across this tractor sitting right on top of one of the overpasses crossing I-80. Looks like they lost a wheel bearing on the rake. No one around, cordless DeWalt laying out on the road, along with the rest of the dude's tools.

That is still pretty much the case here, but it's changing.

We have had a lot of theft in towns along the Arkansas river. Our guys don't lock equipment down well enough, being used to working here.

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
Old 07-02-2018, 01:30 PM   #108
jeffahart

Quote:
Originally Posted by davischevy View Post
Where you live is like the truck you drive. If you pay for it, It's none of my business and if your happy with it, I am too.

The person that started this thread seemed interested in where people live, and why the live there! Was kinda making it his business on a public forum! Too funny! You were joking.... right?

j
Old 07-02-2018, 01:59 PM   #109
100%Chevy

I like living here in south Mississippi near the beach.
Been here most of my life(since 1963).
My family is originally from Ozark,Alabama.My parents families were share croppers. My dad joined the Navy to get out of working the fields and later moved us to here.
Before then,they came from Germany thru Ellis island.3 brothers-2 to Ohio and 1 to Alabama.
Mississippi is my center of operations.I've been about everywhere in the U.S. working in the petro-chem industry as well as a lot of pulp/paper mills.
My favorite places are any place with mountains from the continental divide to the Denver ski slopes to the Smokey mountains.But,you can't live everywhere!
So,we stay here and go places in our little motor home!Always good to be back home!
Mike.
100%Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 09:02 PM   #110
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

I was born in Northern Nevada and never left. 20 minutes from Lake Tahoe, and not terrifically far from the coast, and many lakes close. I live in a rural area, though just 10 minutes to anywhere in the city. A commute to me is 5 miles. Mother nature is modest. Basic costs and taxes are low, but then Californians are doing their best to indoctrinate. At some point I may drift into the country, but this works and my roots are deep anyhow.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 10:02 PM   #111
davischevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffahart View Post
The person that started this thread seemed interested in where people live, and why the live there! Was kinda making it his business on a public forum! Too funny! You were joking.... right?

j

Nope, I was dead serious both times, when I started this thread, and when I made the statement above.

I started this thread because there had been a lot of talk about moving and at the same time it is obvious a bunch of us are very proud and even passionate about where we live.

From the participation in the thread, apparently, a lot of people agree, and have participated freely. Nobody made them offer up info.

Now about me making it my business. The title says, tell us "why you live where you live", not "where do you live". I'm happy if your happy. On the other hand, if someone had offered info and I had been critical, or made fun of the info, or in some other way embarrassed somebody, that would be making it my business, and THAT WOULD BE WRONG ON MY PART.

In full disclosure, a few years ago I did make a comment, about your very state, and even though it was in jest, I was out of line. As far as I know, that member (a moderator) and I are all good. He rightly set me straight, we chuckled and moved on. We have all said things better left unsaid.

If you can quote me contradicting any of this, bring it on, hell I can take it, I'm from Arkansas, I think I've heard all the barefoot, inbred, possum eatin', cornbread jokes.

The fact of the matter is, we can't all live in the same place.

It's all good. (stolen quote)

Old 07-02-2018, 11:22 PM   #112
jeffahart

Quote:
Originally Posted by davischevy View Post
The fact of the matter is, we can't all live in the same place.

It's all good. (stolen quote)

That's true, but the world sure is getting smaller. Think about it, you're clear out in Arkansas but still have to put up with the likes of me!

All good for sure! I actually like a lot of you old kooks on here...

j
Old 07-03-2018, 08:46 AM   #113
davischevy

Smile Re: Why do you live where you live?

Quote:
That's true, but the world sure is getting smaller. Think about it, you're clear out in Arkansas but still have to put up with the likes of me!

All good for sure! I actually like a lot of you old kooks on here...

j
I resent being called old.

Old 07-03-2018, 10:45 AM   #114
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Quote:
......... I actually like a lot of you old kooks on here...

j
I resemble that

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 11:41 AM   #115
Boog
laying low

Old kooks eh? And this coming from a “lefty”.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 11:56 AM   #116
jeffahart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog View Post
Old kooks eh? And this coming from a “lefty”.
Are you kidding... Lefty! That makes being called an old kook a compliment! Looks like I better clad my glass house in chicken wire before I throw stones!
Old 07-03-2018, 08:55 PM   #117
Boog
laying low

Old 07-04-2018, 07:01 AM   #118
The Rocknrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
People from California can pretty much be the Ugly Americans of America, especially if they just sold a house they purchased in the '50s for $12k and got $1M for it and are buying a home out of state for retirement. Thing is, many people in California are all up about the law, and when they move somewhere else they lawyer up about stuff that people in those other states don't even care about. I saw it happen when I lived in Idaho back in the mid-'70s. I've lived in California for 57 of my 65 years. I've seen some crazy stuff. I've known kids in high school (in the '60s) whose parents made a living by suing people, even back then.
That's no lie. I live in a little community in Texas we have a online program called Neighborhood or something. One of the lady's from California who moved here got on line telling people how "we" have to stop the use of pesticides on the corn fields in the area. Someone asked her if she has talked to any local farmers and of course she hadnt. She was all about starting trouble where none existed.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 07:23 AM   #119
Boog
laying low

The country is full of "do gooders" looking for a cause to champion but without having any real experience in the matter to speak of, they are really clueless.
sort of like many of our politicians...

Old 07-30-2018, 10:28 AM   #120
special-K
Special Order

I answered "Long story", but I can make it shorter. Mt Airy is a little more than half way to Frederick, MD along I-70 from Baltimore. It was the gap between. Just far enough away from the city that not many were driving that far for work back then. I would have liked to live out the other side of Fredrick where I lived I met my ex-wife. So this was a good compromise. I'm about 5-6 miles from town and the interstate on a country road that stems off Main St out through a nice little valley just west of the ridge that runs through given the town it's name. To the north is my county seat about the same distance as Frederick and to the south I can reach the NW suburbs of Washington, DC. It's a very central location to find work from. It's laid back country enough for me to enjoy getting back home from places that aren't so much. I like the history and the fact that when I moved here the next road off of my road in either direction were dirt, there is a saw mill right up the road as well as a few in the area, and there is a junk yard around the corner as well as a few others in the area. Oh, and two wineries... now four and two farm breweries. It's now not considered quite so far from the jobs so it has grown up in the area and fancy schmancy shtuff is moving in kinda changing the flavor around here. Not all bad, but things are still the same out this way... for now

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 11:55 AM   #121
slomotion
Old Duffer

Tim,
If you drop down 270 to 495, go east on 495 to Rt 29 (Colesville Rd) in Silver Spring you'd be in my original neighborhood. When I was there 495 didn't exist. The intersection of 29 and University Blvd. was a two lane, one stop light intersection. There was a church, a gas station, a couple of diners, a small grocery store and a bowling alley. One of my very first jobs as a kid was setting pins in that alley. We did it by hand back then.....( probably 1954-55,) step on a pedal under the end of the alley and locater pins would come up through the alley floor giving consistent placement of the bowling pins which had holes in their bottoms keeping alignment accurate. We learned pretty quick to not send the balls back until the pins were set and we were out of the pit because occasionally some half drunk asshat thought it would be cute to clip a pinboy with a couple of flying pins.
At the end of a line each bowler in a party would throw change down the alley usually about $.25-.35 each. A party of four could net you $2.00 or more. Why, on a good rainy Saturday we could earn $6-$8! Woohoo! (In those days for a kid that was big money.)

'81 G10 Shorty Van

"Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement." Will Rogers

Old 07-30-2018, 12:14 PM   #122
davischevy

I never worked at he bowling alley, but I did work at the Lyric Theater, and Ozark Drive In Theater.

I didn't technically work at the drive in, but my buddy did, and I helped him clean up the morning after so we could go to the lake.

The women's restrooms were the worst. The buildings were concrete block, so we just took 5 gallon buckets of hot water to the door and threw it in to start with.

That's when I decided if I were ever in charge of designing public restrooms they would be water proof.

Maybe that's the reason I never left here. There were restrooms left to design.

Old 07-31-2018, 02:50 AM   #123
special-K
Special Order

Mt Airy has a bowling alley. The movie theater on Main St was already shut down when I moved here.

Slomotion, I'm familiar with "Four Corners" back in that time... about the beginning of time for me. Was Woodmoor shopping center built yet? We lived out Colesville Rd, which got changed to New Hampshire Ave while I was there. Was White Oak even there yet? (Rt29 & NH Ave north of 4 corners) We were right where Spencerville Rd hit NH

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 11:31 AM   #124
abig84

Famous movie quote:

"I wash born here, an I wash raished here, and dad gum it, I am gonna die here, an no sidewindin bushwackin, hornswaglin, cracker croaker is gonna rouin me bishen cutter. "
abig84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 11:45 AM   #125
slomotion
Old Duffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Mt Airy has a bowling alley. The movie theater on Main St was already shut down when I moved here.

Slomotion, I'm familiar with "Four Corners" back in that time... about the beginning of time for me. Was Woodmoor shopping center built yet? We lived out Colesville Rd, which got changed to New Hampshire Ave while I was there. Was White Oak even there yet? (Rt29 & NH Ave north of 4 corners) We were right where Spencerville Rd hit NH
The movie theater shutting down reminds me of a film called "The Last Picture Show" Can't tell you who played in it, but it's one of those coming-of-age movies.

There was a golf course and raw country fields between us and Four Corners on the east side of Rt29

I don't remember if Woodmoor was the name of the shopping center. There were several stores where the alley was, but I don't remember what all of them were. I do remember Naylors Seafood Restaurant at that intersection because Mr Naylor had a son Ricky, and a daughter Valerie. I was in love with Valerie, of course it was one-sided she took dance lessons and was one of those Shirley Temple types that didn't have time for local kids.
We lived about half way between Four Corners and Sligo Creek. To get to downtown and Georgia Ave you'd pass Mrs Kay's Toll House Restaurant, and Hecht's Department store. I went to Montgomery Jr High, and would have gone to Blair HS if we hadn't moved in '56.

Amazing, we were almost neighbors!

'81 G10 Shorty Van