The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-11-2012, 08:22 PM   #1
62lwbc10

New Parking Brake Cable adjustment

Hello dear friends today was a good day for me and the 58. New door rubber successfully installed. No more rattling door but damn I have to slam the hell out of the door to close it. I assume this is becase the rubber is new and needs to break in a bit. Also installed a new front bumper. Man, the repop chrome bumpers sure are purty but they are much thinner than the originals. Need to be careful tightening the bolts down to be sure you dont bend the bumper at the bolt holes. DOnt make em like they used to, I guess....

Anyway I also successfully installed a new parking brake cable. Was pretty easy and Im glad I had the shop manual to clarify exactly how the cable goes over the pulley, etc. So I have only one issue/question. THe threaded rod at the rear end of the cable (which attaches to the yoke) is much longer than the original and even with the threaded rod in as far as it will go in the yoke before it interferes with the pin, the parking brake still needs to be shortened to get enough umph to make sure the rear brakes are nice and tight when you pull the parking brake lever. I assume I need to remove again and cut the threaded rod (perhaps in half) and reinstall to effectively shorten the cable. Can you guys please confirm?

THanks alot,
Mark
62lwbc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:18 PM   #2
Dan in Pasadena

Re: New Parking Brake Cable adjustment

I can't comment on the parking brake, though your idea sounds right. But don't take my word for it.

Just a comment: I don't think you should have to, "...slam the hell out of the door to close it." I think it must need some adjustment. Did you install the steel bar on the bottom side of the door that holds the door rubber in place?
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote