The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-25-2018, 12:19 PM   #1
Mile_high

Steering Column Installed Height/Linkage Length

Gentlemen:

I've browsed some old threads and searched photos, but am still not convinced I've installed this correctly. Below are photos and part numbers used.

Please educate an inexperienced guy on this one; am I to cut the intermediate shaft that slides into the larger diameter shaft that connects to the steering box end? So cut the shaft that connects to the universal joint at the end of the column?

The column looks high in the cab and the shaft doesn't have room to collapse at all in the case of impact, if that is the design intent.

Parts:

Ididit PN 1120657010, Link to summit: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/IDT-1120657010

LMC (CPP) PN: 38-4781 Link: http://www.lmctruck.com/features/cb/cbcm5.htm

Photos as installed are attached.It looks goofy, but the two middle photos show the shaft in the u joint and the last one shows how much of the column is in the cab relative to the cluster.
Attached Images

Mile_high is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 12:34 PM   #2
randy500
Account Suspended

Re: Steering Column Installed Height/Linkage Length

I have an ididit column in one of my trucks and I installed it with the bell shaped collar touching the rubber dash grommet, I'm 6" tall and the fit is nice.
Yes you will have to cut that shaft to length. I don't know what the recommended free length for collapsing should be, I would guess more is better with sufficient engagement of the 2 parts so that they stay connected.
randy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 04:44 PM   #3
Mile_high

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy500 View Post
I have an ididit column in one of my trucks and I installed it with the bell shaped collar touching the rubber dash grommet, I'm 6" tall and the fit is nice.
Yes you will have to cut that shaft to length. I don't know what the recommended free length for collapsing should be, I would guess more is better with sufficient engagement of the 2 parts so that they stay connected.
Thank you for both the height feedback based on your experience as well as confirmation the intermediate shaft should be cut to length.
Old 06-25-2018, 04:48 PM   #4
Mile_high

For everyone's reference into the future, here is what I learned:

The LMC part number shown above is a kit that includes the U joint, shaft set, and rag joint. It's complete and ready to install. However, it's a repackaged CPP part number, which I assume could be purchased directly for less. I did not confirm.

Either way, it's great LMC is such a huge resource, but I do wish they had tech support. I get why they don't, but I do spend much more with firms who offer phone based tech support.

Since I purchased it from LMC, I called them first. They were not able to assist, but I called CPP and the tech who answered the call gave me the answer 10 seconds into our call together.

Point of the story is: 2" minimum length overlap of the double D shaft into the larger diameter lower shaft per CPP. Not only is the 2" a minimum for that measurement, but they also want 2" of collapse available as a minimum as well. On our trucks it shouldn't matter as 2" overlap will provide much more than 2" of collapsible space, but on a passenger car that may come into play.