The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-05-2019, 06:46 PM   #26
bigmoe

Lengthen a stock harness?

Is it an option to lengthen a stock harness? I assume it would involve splicing to make the PCM end of the harness longer. I like the idea of mounting the PCM somewhere out of the way like under the console/seat or behind the glove box but I assume the stock harness is too short. I've seen them mounted to the inner fender but it's not a very clean look.
bigmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 10:34 PM   #27
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

Re: Where to put the PCM???

Quote:
can you give me a measurement to compare my harness to so i can see if my harness will be long enough? Mine is from speartech but theres just not really a good way to tell without drilling the hole first i think. Love the utube vids btw.
BP harnesses are 5’ long from the back of the intake
1971 C10 Stepside. LSx 6.0 with BTR Stage IV, Speed Engineering Headers, 4L80e transmission w/3200 Circle-D Stall. 3.73. Posi. Purchased this truck when I was 17. I started the rebuild (or take apart) in 1993. I have drug it around all over the country in pieces. Finally back on the road in 2021.

"I can't complain, but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far."
1971Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 12:29 PM   #28
bigmoe

Re: Lengthen a stock harness?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmoe View Post
Is it an option to lengthen a stock harness? I assume it would involve splicing to make the PCM end of the harness longer. I like the idea of mounting the PCM somewhere out of the way like under the console/seat or behind the glove box but I assume the stock harness is too short. I've seen them mounted to the inner fender but it's not a very clean look.
For anyone considering lengthening a stock harness I read another thread where someone said the purple data wire needs to be one continuous wire from the PCM to the OBD connector. Butt splicing or soldering or changing the wire gauge cannot be done.
Old 02-07-2019, 01:21 PM   #29
Flubyu

I also put mine under the driver seat. Plenty of room for the PCM and fuse box.
Old 02-07-2019, 02:19 PM   #30
MDPotter

Quote:
For anyone considering lengthening a stock harness I read another thread where someone said the purple data wire needs to be one continuous wire from the PCM to the OBD connector. Butt splicing or soldering or changing the wire gauge cannot be done.
Has anyone extended this wire and had issues or success? I've extended mine and my OBD port came with a pigtail so I will end up with (2) soldered connections, but I won't have the engine in the truck for a few months to test it.
1978 Chevy Scottsdale K20
1993 Chevy C1500 - 5.3/T56 swapped
2008 Silverado Duramax
MDPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 12:02 AM   #31
2014sierraAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971Stepside View Post
Here is what mine looks like in a 71.
I have the same harnsss, trying to decide where to bring mine into the cab. Did you put any extra protection on the harness for heat from exhaust/trans?
2014sierraAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 11:46 AM   #32
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

Quote:
I have the same harnsss, trying to decide where to bring mine into the cab. Did you put any extra protection on the harness for heat from exhaust/trans?
I did not. I have the high hump and ran the main trunk of the harness at the top of the hump. It clears the trans by several inches so I don't think it will be impacted by the heat of the transmission. The wires to the starter and the O2's already have heat protection loom on them, so I think you should be good. If you are running the low hump you can pick up a 3" diameter by 3' long heat shield sleeve at O'Reilly's for $15.00 Might be cheap insurance.
1971 C10 Stepside. LSx 6.0 with BTR Stage IV, Speed Engineering Headers, 4L80e transmission w/3200 Circle-D Stall. 3.73. Posi. Purchased this truck when I was 17. I started the rebuild (or take apart) in 1993. I have drug it around all over the country in pieces. Finally back on the road in 2021.

"I can't complain, but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far."
1971Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 09:40 AM   #33
2014sierraAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971Stepside View Post
I did not. I have the high hump and ran the main trunk of the harness at the top of the hump. It clears the trans by several inches so I don't think it will be impacted by the heat of the transmission. The wires to the starter and the O2's already have heat protection loom on them, so I think you should be good. If you are running the low hump you can pick up a 3" diameter by 3' long heat shield sleeve at O'Reilly's for $15.00 Might be cheap insurance.
Awesome, thanks for the information!
2014sierraAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 12:21 PM   #34
dayj1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDPotter View Post
Has anyone extended this wire and had issues or success? I've extended mine and my OBD port came with a pigtail so I will end up with (2) soldered connections, but I won't have the engine in the truck for a few months to test it.
It is fine to extend the serial data wire (or any other wire in the harness) as long as it spliced properly. I have done it many times with no problems.
dayj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 01:52 PM   #35
bigmoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayj1 View Post
It is fine to extend the serial data wire (or any other wire in the harness) as long as it spliced properly. I have done it many times with no problems.
Good to know. I’m reworking my stock truck harness and was hoping to avoid fender mounting it in my 65. I’ll solder and double heat shrink.
Old 02-22-2019, 01:56 PM   #36
bigmoe

What kind of grommet is good to use to go through the tunnel to mount the pcm under the seat or console?
Old 02-22-2019, 01:58 PM   #37
bs46488

I extended my harness so that I could hide he wiring and tuck the ecu up front in the drivers fender.

I made a bracket to mount the ECU, fuse pack, relays, and the CEL

I have no issues with extending the harness.

Not the best pic but you can see it all tucked in this fender pocket.

1970 Nova: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=708161
bs46488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 09:09 AM   #38
nsb29

Quote:
What kind of grommet is good to use to go through the tunnel to mount the pcm under the seat or console?
I went to my local junkyard and found one off a late model with a large harness don’t remember what it came from
Old 02-23-2019, 09:50 AM   #39
Pontitruck

The BP harness is long enough to go under the seat on my 65 GMC.
Attached Images

Pontitruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 09:52 AM   #40
Pontitruck

Quote:
Moe, not sure where guys are buying the grommets but I suspect you could call BP, PSI or others that sell the harness and buy one.
Pontitruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 10:06 AM   #41
bigmoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs46488 View Post
I extended my harness so that I could hide he wiring and tuck the ecu up front in the drivers fender.

I made a bracket to mount the ECU, fuse pack, relays, and the CEL

I have no issues with extending the harness.

Not the best pic but you can see it all tucked in this fender pocket.

I like your placement. Unfortunately the 65 has bulky inner fenders.
Old 03-02-2019, 11:20 AM   #42
Gunnin4ya

I extended mine about 6 Foot just for the ECU section. I mounted my fuses and relays on the firewall inside the cab. The ECU is routed down the frame and under the seat now. It really cleaned up a lot in the engine bay. I read where some said not to and some said it was okay. Eaither way I was going to need a new harness. So, I bit the bullet and did it. I used the heat shrink with the solder in it. I spliced in different sections so I didn't end up with a huge "wad" of connections. I do not have any problems at all. Just took my time. It was originaly on the firewall until I got Vintage Air like you are doing. I did keep the TAC and everything up on the firewall as well.
Gunnin4ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 08:24 AM   #43
bigmoe

Another thought. When rebuilding the stock harness would it be possible to reroute the main portion to point toward the rear of the engine? Then it could be run through the firewall and mount the ECM under the dash?
Old 03-04-2019, 08:00 PM   #44
Wgesnerjr

I did not extend mine but, as I reworked my harness, I could see that being a possibilty. Briefly though about mounting my PCM under the dash where the Electronic Spark Controller was. But thought better and picked the lower area of core support on drivers side, just like the factory 2003.
LS 5.3, 4L60E
Father/Daughter Project
Wgesnerjr is offline   Reply With Quote