The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-11-2019, 08:49 AM   #26
Indian113

Re: craigslist vs Facebook

I think the Smart Phone is the Kicker for FB Marketplace. Most people have the FB app. on their Phone and therefor have Instant access to messages. I resisted getting a new phone but my Flip Phone would drop calls and was hard to text with. Now I actually enjoy that I can use Face Time to talk to my Grand Kids in Okinawa anytime they call with my new phone.
Indian113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 06:58 PM   #27
special-K
Special Order

I am slow to jump on new tech. I go with what makes sense once I 'need' to replace the old. I have a (cheap) smart tv because my old Phillips finally wore out. Had a great picture and that's all that matters to me. Now I am actually getting impatient for my flip phone to crap out because smart phones have been around long enough to be the standard and (not that I think it's a good thing) people have come to expect instant gratification. I'm not into getting around self improvement with devices. Patience will always be a virtue. But my flip phone is such a great piece of, yes, technology that it has lasted so ling I'm not sure when I got it. I think it was about 5 years ago. Been through hell and back, too. Left out in the rain, taken many falls, lives in my nail pouch when I work, and the best thing is I can be at a Carlisle swap meet from Wed-Sun without charging the battery. My flip phone could be the key to survival in a group of people with cell phones. I think I'll get a smart phone and just do an add-on to keep my flip in service for rough duty and for when I need a compact phone

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 08:25 PM   #28
Red71gmc

K. I have had a smart phone of some kind for about ten years. Let me warn you of a few things that I miss.
Without a smart phone, you only have access to your emails when at your computer and in that frame of mind. Once you have access to everything in your palm, you may end up continually checking on things and getting distracted from your current task at hand. People will expect you to emidiately reply to their emails once you have a smart phone and no longer call you.
I think I recall you are in the contractor business. I found that vendors stop calling you and email only which I believe delays progress on the job at hand and lends to miscommunication through written words instead of voice contact.
Flip phones are old technology, but I will argue it was a more peaceful life and my production was better without the lure of doing it all at one time. I am admittedly a poor multi tasker.
Red71gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 09:49 PM   #29
special-K
Special Order

Yeah, that's what I always say, I don't want to be married to my phone. If daily responses early and late aren't quick enough, screw 'em. Someone needs to learn patience. I want it all and I want it now is infantile behavior. I see the need to retain information in the mind being lost when it's all there in your hand. Think contact lists. How many phone numbers did you used to know by memory. Do you know that many now? Isn't that degeneration? I include myself in that one.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 02-11-2019 at 10:39 PM.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:07 PM   #30
burnin oil

I am over seas in a very remote area and most people do not have phones. Ironically even the younger Americans come here and tend to say they don't miss them. I actually want to get rid of my smart phone, that has been off for 2 years, when I get back. The wife says I have to have one so I am seriously thinking of getting a flip phone for Special-K's reasons. My neighbor in the states still uses a flip phone. I think they just meet the needs of blue collar workers better. Who needs a $1k phone just to crack the screen at work. In K's place I dont think a smart phone will like a nail pouch. Heck I broke a smart phone that was in the front pocket of a pair of bibs!
burnin oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 10:51 PM   #31
special-K
Special Order

I've ruined phones from sweating. This on is military/police spec. That's why I got it. I have left it opened up out in a hard rain for a 1/2hr before realizing. Never turned it off or dried it out, and that was a few years ago. Original battery. It's got a rubbery coating all over. I toss it on the ground to show people how tough it is. It's no cheesy for the moment consumer product, that's for sure. I got it in '12 or '13. I think they make the exact same phone. It's a Kyocera DuraXT. Where it's silver most of the paint is worn off. They even pay me to tell people this stuff

Tim

Old 02-12-2019, 11:23 AM   #32
Red71gmc

I think you two are on to something. I am confident that smart phones are an essential tool for some but not all including me. I guess I got mine originally for self reasons being able to check markets and other important needs at the time (or I thought). What I didn't count on was the distraction and being completely available 24/7 by text, phone and email. I guess you could add twitter, Facebook and all the others if you do those too. Sometimes a person just needs to focus on one thing, at least I do.
Both the young mans phone that I farm with and mine were acting up and needed replaced. I told him lets try going without and see if life improves while getting more done in peace. He didn't last 48 hours, but to be fair he is only 21 and knows nothing else. I was enjoying it but by day 3 I had vendors and business associates aggravated that I wasn't responding to their request immediately. I found it interesting how many people had no idea how to make contact with me without my smart phone. They did not know my store land line number, farm location, where I live or even where my store was. This proves we are the slaves of technology and don't even take the time to actually know people anymore outside of the convenience of striking a few keys.
I have made it a point recently to only check my emails weekly and have found it helps keep some focus. If it is so important for immediate response, I have informed all to call me and lets actually have a voice conversation. It is helping.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:36 AM   #33
special-K
Special Order

I'll be getting one, I'm sure. But you see how I am, I'm sure I will not become a phone zombie. I have a laptop for that . Mostly for work, such as looking up availability of a product for a customer right then and there. We have to flex to some degree for business reasons, whether we like where things are going or not. But I'm a buck stops here stick to my guns type, cast in stone. It's just who I am. I am the one who decides what's best for me

Tim

Old 02-12-2019, 11:46 AM   #34
Coley

Smile Re: craigslist vs Facebook

What's equally interesting is just how many of these smart phones are on and listening to you and your conversations....all the time.

Seriously a little weird, and for those that don't believe that most of the smart phones are listening to you 24/7.... just ask it...."Siri, what city am I in"....you'll get an answer.
So clearly the phone is receiving all the time...just not answering until you address it by its name.

These days and in this general 'climate' of worldly change, its a little troubling....makes you sort of wonder about how many of your conversations may be out there being enjoyed or logged for further reference....lol.

I have a 5 year old Samsung S4...and it gets laughed at quite a bit...and it doesn't have much memory for videos, etc...but I'm glad its not an 8" x 10" phone and I have no immediate plans to replace it.

All good
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 11:53 AM   #35
slowcpe

I've seemed to have gravitated more to FB Marketplace. I still get on CL frequently but Marketplace is so convenient although its quite unorganized.

I sold a 305/3-speed on Marketplace a couple of months ago in like 30 minutes. Had several people interested and was it gone out of my garage inside of 2-hours. It was nice to view profiles before giving them my address.
1967/71 Blue SWB C10..SOLD
1977 SWB K10..my grandpa's.....never should have sold
slowcpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 01:21 PM   #36
weq92f

Good points all...

Special-K nailed it with his laptop comment... Just about everything the smart-phone does can be done easier/better on the computer/laptop. That is except for the thing that made the smart-phone what it is today: the app. Not all "apps" are available to the computer/laptop in the same way as they are on the smart-phone ( many aren't available at all or don't even make sense ).

That said, the flip phone isn't something the carriers really want you using these days anyway as they can't sell you a lucrative data plan!

Carrying around a computer in the palm of your hand absolutely can become a distraction and a major time consumer...but... it's also a great tool, one that can help get manage many different types of challenging situations in a hurry.

It's like being able to whip out your laptop just about any place, any time and order up anything from data to physical services at your location with ease. Then you slide your device back into the pocket and go on your way!

-klb
99 540 sport V8 6sp -- sold
73 240z L24 4sp -- given to friend
68 C10 step 350/350 3.73 open -- sold
weq92f is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 01:28 PM   #37
Coley

.....I have to admit, I've never been on facebook but I've heard a lot about it, mostly about women and grandmothers posting 18,315 pictures of their kids...lol.
Regardless, the stories about it are probably 1/2 bad and 1/2 good which doesn't compel me to get into it....yet.
The fact that there have been so many data breaches in it is a little bit disconcerting.....so I'm glad that I've been able to live and survive without it so far.
However, if it is being 'cleaned up' and being made more secure it might be worth looking into?.....

Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 01:43 PM   #38
jeffahart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coley View Post
.....I have to admit, I've never been on facebook but I've heard a lot about it, mostly about women and grandmothers posting 18,315 pictures of their kids...lol.
Regardless, the stories about it are probably 1/2 bad and 1/2 good which doesn't compel me to get into it....yet.
The fact that there have been so many data breaches in it is a little bit disconcerting.....so I'm glad that I've been able to live and survive without it so far.
However, if it is being 'cleaned up' and being made more secure it might be worth looking into?.....

Coley
The security thing negates the original intent of Facebook.

Let's not forget the original intent of the architect. An angry bitter little outcast that wanted a way to look and peer into the lives of people that shunned him; and to have a back door to marginalize and discredit and slander on a public forum. The architect of Facebooks intent was never to bring people together in a positive way. It turned out that way, because most people are good and living their lives, and don't necessarily want to just snoop on people. So Facebook grew and $hitbird got very wealthy. In spite of his spite!

j
Old 02-12-2019, 02:20 PM   #39
Red71gmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffahart View Post
The security thing negates the original intent of Facebook.

Let's not forget the original intent of the architect. An angry bitter little outcast that wanted a way to look and peer into the lives of people that shunned him; and to have a back door to marginalize and discredit and slander on a public forum. The architect of Facebooks intent was never to bring people together in a positive way. It turned out that way, because most people are good and living their lives, and don't necessarily want to just snoop on people. So Facebook grew and $hitbird got very wealthy. In spite of his spite!

j
I kind of forgot about that part of it. I remember why I haven't signed up. It does seem to create unneeded drama. I guess some people will always be that way but it is amazing how they choose to play it out on such a grand stage.
Can an account be made not using your name? I wish not to be drug into some things I've heard play out on there.
Old 02-12-2019, 02:51 PM   #40
jeffahart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red71gmc View Post
I kind of forgot about that part of it. I remember why I haven't signed up. It does seem to create unneeded drama. I guess some people will always be that way but it is amazing how they choose to play it out on such a grand stage.
Can an account be made not using your name? I wish not to be drug into some things I've heard play out on there.
Of course you can. You could have multiple accounts here too, if you really wanted, not that hard. But, why? I think it is a bad business to start hiding behind an alias... how tedious a life!

Here is a better philosophy. See my name? That is me. I stand behind what I say, my jokes my solutions or whatever else. I, for my whole professional career have never engaged in a business or project I would not be proud to tour and explain to my grandparents. You see, it's self policing. Don't try to play in the shadows, it's a bad business. Come out and be yourself. If you have a combative personality, maybe it's just best to lurk and read the posts/or pages as you would read a magazine or enjoy a Television series. You can get mad sure, we are all annoying at some level. If you can't get over someone that annoyed you and you have to keep picking at it, then best to stay away and NOT try to hide. Especially on Facebook, it is a different format. It's supposed to be a share "YOUR LIFE" page where's this is a hobby forum; where we all share a common hobby... so alias applies, if you like. There's drama everywhere, dabble in Facebook you might like it.

The trouble with old people. We have an expectation of privacy. My son shakes his head at my rants. He has no expectation of privacy, nor does he care. Different generation. And I mean digital privacy, we all can and should expect what happens in our bedrooms stays appropriately private!

j
Old 02-12-2019, 07:06 PM   #41
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowcpe View Post
I've seemed to have gravitated more to FB Marketplace. I still get on CL frequently but Marketplace is so convenient although its quite unorganized.

I sold a 305/3-speed on Marketplace a couple of months ago in like 30 minutes. Had several people interested and was it gone out of my garage inside of 2-hours. It was nice to view profiles before giving them my address.
Gravitated? I think 'moved' is more like it. Like you said, FBMP is unorganized. The kicks puts Craigslist up a notch and FBMP down a notch right there. It's just a matter of alternatives. I don't get the new is better mentality. Time will tell what we don't yet know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by weq92f View Post
Good points all...

Special-K nailed it with his laptop comment... Just about everything the smart-phone does can be done easier/better on the computer/laptop. That is except for the thing that made the smart-phone what it is today: the app. Not all "apps" are available to the computer/laptop in the same way as they are on the smart-phone ( many aren't available at all or don't even make sense ).

That said, the flip phone isn't something the carriers really want you using these days anyway as they can't sell you a lucrative data plan!

Carrying around a computer in the palm of your hand absolutely can become a distraction and a major time consumer...but... it's also a great tool, one that can help get manage many different types of challenging situations in a hurry.

It's like being able to whip out your laptop just about any place, any time and order up anything from data to physical services at your location with ease. Then you slide your device back into the pocket and go on your way!

-klb
I don't need no stinking apps. I don't even like the abbreviation being used as a word. With all the time and effort an 'app' is supposed to save you'd think people could have time and energy to say 'application'.
Quote:
What's equally interesting is just how many of these smart phones are on and listening to you and your conversations....all the time.

Seriously a little weird, and for those that don't believe that most of the smart phones are listening to you 24/7.... just ask it...."Siri, what city am I in"....you'll get an answer.
So clearly the phone is receiving all the time...just not answering until you address it by its name.

These days and in this general 'climate' of worldly change, its a little troubling....makes you sort of wonder about how many of your conversations may be out there being enjoyed or logged for further reference....lol.
Ok, that's it. If...yes this takes me from when to if, I get a dumbass smart phone it stays in the truck. I have the flip phone and laptop for the house and when I'm 'mobile' I'm usually alone.
Quote:
I always thought this was odd. When I joined the forum and saw all this user name stuff going on I figured it was a security thing against identity theft or something. All I knew about computers (I didn't hop on that bandwagon right away,either) was hearing about hacked bank accounts and identity theft. So I came up with a made up name. My e-mail address, too. When I asked my far more experienced with all this friend why the user names he explained that anyone can search your name and find things you've said that you might not want just anyone to know about.

Then comes Facebook with pretty much everyone using their actual name. How else are old friends (especially girlfriends ) going to find you? Then you hear about bosses looking in and people getting fired or them checking before hiring. But it's the greatest thing, so who cares right?

Tim

Old 02-12-2019, 08:40 PM   #42
Red71gmc

Old girlfriends aren't my concern. By all means I'm ok with that...well maybe not all of them lol.
I will readily admit I do not know enough about fb. I suppose it is like many things in that what bad things you here stick with you and the good things get overshadowed. It definitely appears there are some good things about it. It sounds like it has evolved into a plus in many ways.
I definitely agree that older generations have a different expectation of privacy. My daughter would post things on fb when she was younger that I thought were private matters. She did not agree and even today at age 27 post some things I consider somewhat private. Maybe it is the rural telephone party line days that taught us not to say everything on our mind, lol.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:52 PM   #43
jeffahart

Quote:
Old girlfriends aren't my concern. By all means I'm ok with that...well maybe not all of them lol.
I will readily admit I do not know enough about fb. I suppose it is like many things in that what bad things you here stick with you and the good things get overshadowed. It definitely appears there are some good things about it. It sounds like it has evolved into a plus in many ways.
I definitely agree that older generations have a different expectation of privacy. My daughter would post things on fb when she was younger that I thought were private matters. She did not agree and even today at age 27 post some things I consider somewhat private. Maybe it is the rural telephone party line days that taught us not to say everything on our mind, lol.
Give it a whirl, nothing bad can come of it. Unless of course you try to open an account under an alias. I just want to caution since you brought it up. You can hide from the casual user. But for example if you decided you could say what you want under a fake name and giggle that nobody knows. Ok, then something happens in your life and you draw the ire of say the media. Guess what? Opps! They know who you really are. The extrapolation routines are mathematical and not only uncanny but down right scary. You can put on the digital hood but it's swiss cheese, they can see right through it. Or pin point where you've been.

Be on the up and up and it's all good! Have fun!

j
Old 02-12-2019, 09:22 PM   #44
Red71gmc

It's not that I want to say anything and not have a face to it. It's that I don't want to get dragged into a spat friends are having. Like I said, I don't know enough about it and will check it out. I will use my name.
I read an online ag publication that people are allowed to post anonymous comments on articles. I definitely don't agree with that as they can get very hateful or deranged. Of course political affiliation always seems to come into play and the post get way out of hand. By the way, I really like that the forum leaders here had the foresight to squelch that possibility here.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:50 PM   #45
burnin oil

Quote:
I have a 5 year old Samsung S4...and it gets laughed at quite a bit...and it doesn't have much memory for videos, etc...but I'm glad its not an 8" x 10" phone and I have no immediate plans to replace it.

All good
Coley
I have the same phone. I got told the other day that it won't be supported by Verizon anymore once their 5G network is up and running in a few months. I will have to look at my phone plan and see what makes financial sense at the time. I don't want to drop a grand on a phone I don't want but I am also not the only one on the plan. I don't need the internet all day for work so that is a mute point to me. Honestly I hate using the phone for the net and usually only use it for games while on public transportation. I can't wait to be back in my K20 whenever I need to go somewhere.
burnin oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 02:13 PM   #46
82Diesel

Facebook these days is tough to sell anything. That's the reason why I came here to buy things and post. Can't even get a Serious enough buyer on there anymore. All Young kids who message you and don't have the money or want to trade garbage... or there are the tire kickers Who message you once then don't message you again So it's unknown if they're just trying to screw with you or not even interested.

I'm finding it much better on here than Facebook, But I agree on Craigslist. It's getting slow... Still tons of posts in the Auto Parts/Vehicles/Farm & Garden Sections. Etc

But Yeah I had tried to sell my Vintage garden tractor on there and no luck for 3 years.
Although It's a Montgomery wards there not very collectable in the first place.
82Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 02:51 PM   #47
flashed

I have had very good responses with selling on Facebook ,a few tire kickers if I'm not willing to drop my price for them . But for the most part I have had good success on there . It's actually the items I offer for free that people want me to meet them out of my area to give it to them . I won't go any distance to give an item away .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 09:16 PM   #48
special-K
Special Order

I have to admit I have never used FBMP. I have had no need to even consider it because the old reliable stand-bys, here and Craigslist still come though as good as ever for me. If it ain't broke I ain't fixin' it. My opinion of FB in general is it is chock full of empty worthless content and this place is a well managed no BS place for everything it offers. That is what suits me. Craigslist? That's just a free classified. I list, get contacted, sell or I look, contact, buy. That's all it ever was meant to be. I feel any decline is due to trend chasers is all. People who are looking for what they need will always look on Craigslist. If they don't, their loss. I wouldn't have made it through January w/o it

Tim

Old 02-17-2019, 03:24 PM   #49
jamie72

I know fb is a lot easier to post pics,i don`t down load them to the puter anymore just to my phone.

member #807

http://www.myspace.com/whitetailobsession
www.antlertalk.com
jamie72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 02:21 PM   #50
zach_carver

Facebook in my area is taking over, even on truck ads and all. Craigslist has had the same old stale stuff on it forvever it seems like. I get responses almost immediately on FB. Ive bought a couple trucks on FB also. I hardly ever even look on craigslist anymore. I do search these classifieds some though. Just because the people on here are awesome!!!

LINK TO SUPER SNOOPY C10 BUILD---> http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=689283

1977 C10 SILVERADO HAWAIIAN BLUE, 5/5" DROP, LS6/4L80E

1976 CHEVY K5, 350/350, YUBA GOLD/SADDLE
zach_carver is offline   Reply With Quote