The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-20-2019, 06:35 PM   #1
jimcol

1949 resto mod new project

I haven't been active on here for quite some time because I haven't been building any pick ups. I just started a resto mod project on a 1949 3100.
Here is the plan. I am using a Mustang II front cross member with 2" drop spindles. On the rear I have a Lincoln Mark VIII IRS. I have a very low miles LS2 6.0L out of a 2004 Corvette.
I am currently researching if the GM 8 speed automatic will work with this engine.
I am putting this on an auto leveling air ride suspension.
The intentions with the air ride is for it to maintain a preset height and proved the smoothest ride possible.
I am also going to attempt to use the Lincoln Mark VIII anti-lock brake and traction control system.
Any input positive negative or indifferent will all be appreciated. If any of you have done any of the things I have listed please chime in. I will be posting photos shortly and intend to document this entire build. Thanks.
Attached Images

jimcol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 08:48 PM   #2
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Re: 1949 resto mod new project

Looks like a great truck...but this would be better in the 47-59 project build thread

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 09:27 PM   #3
jimcol

I wasn't sure where to post this. Is this something that I need to move? Or do the moderators do that? Thanks.
Old 03-21-2019, 04:05 AM   #4
mongocanfly
Post Whore

One of the mods will have to move it....but this is where it needs to be....http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/f...play.php?f=205

And welcome aboard...

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563

Last edited by mongocanfly; 03-21-2019 at 04:10 AM.
Old 03-21-2019, 11:25 AM   #5
jimcol

Ok, thanks looking forward to documenting this entire build. If anyone has any input or experience with some of these mods please let me know. Especially on anti lock/ traction control systems.
Old 03-21-2019, 12:02 PM   #6
MNchevy

Looks like you starting with a very clean truck! I'm looking forward to the IRS install. Should be an awesome project when finished.
MNchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 07:51 PM   #7
jimcol

I guess the moderators have this in the right area now. I plan on up dating this project two or three times a week and will respond to all questions and input as they come in.
Right now I have the Mark 8 IRS setting under the truck but won't start the installation till I install the Mustang 2 front cross member. I am currently waiting for the cross member to come in and am ordering a new front cross member / radiator support. The original support is cracked and rusted through in places.
This rear suspension looks like it is going to be a lot easier to install than I thought it would be. The lower shock mount on the lower control arm is a straight shot up to the frame rail and the air bag upper mount will easily mount to the frame without cutting the frame. I will have to clearance the frame for the upper control arm. I also intend to box the frame in too.
I have one question someone here might be able to answer. This truck has the old knee shock absorbers on the front. I have never seen these on this late of a truck. I will enclose a photo. Did Chevrolet have these from the factory in '49? Just curious. Thanks and I'll keep you posted
Attached Images

Old 03-21-2019, 08:34 PM   #8
joedoh

neat start! the truck will be so light with all those aluminum parts, you might have 8 gears and only use 3 haha.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 12:13 AM   #9
Brads49

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcol View Post
I guess the moderators have this in the right area now. I plan on up dating this project two or three times a week and will respond to all questions and input as they come in.
Right now I have the Mark 8 IRS setting under the truck but won't start the installation till I install the Mustang 2 front cross member. I am currently waiting for the cross member to come in and am ordering a new front cross member / radiator support. The original support is cracked and rusted through in places.
This rear suspension looks like it is going to be a lot easier to install than I thought it would be. The lower shock mount on the lower control arm is a straight shot up to the frame rail and the air bag upper mount will easily mount to the frame without cutting the frame. I will have to clearance the frame for the upper control arm. I also intend to box the frame in too.
I have one question someone here might be able to answer. This truck has the old knee shock absorbers on the front. I have never seen these on this late of a truck. I will enclose a photo. Did Chevrolet have these from the factory in '49? Just curious. Thanks and I'll keep you posted

My '49 also had the knee action shock absorbers. I'm assuming that they were factory.
Brads49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 09:29 AM   #10
jimcol

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
neat start! the truck will be so light with all those aluminum parts, you might have 8 gears and only use 3 haha.
I hear the GM 8 speed automatic is so smooth you don't feel it shift. I've never ridden in one. In this truck that might not be a good thing. This thing will be light and with at least 400 to 430 hp it could get away from someone pretty easy. I believe as far as the rear weight the Mark 8 subframe and differential are a lot heavier than the 10 bolt I pulled out.
Attached Images

Old 03-22-2019, 09:32 AM   #11
jimcol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brads49 View Post
My '49 also had the knee action shock absorbers. I'm assuming that they were factory.
It looks to be factory installed. I just didn't know. Thanks for your response.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:40 AM   #12
svr

My '18 Silverado has a 6.2 with the 8 speed auto in it. very smooth shifting, you have to be paying attention to count the shifts.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:43 AM   #13
oldman3

Lever-action shocks were standard on late 47, 48, 49. In 1950 they went to the tubular type shocks...Jim
oldman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 10:49 AM   #14
joedoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcol View Post
I hear the GM 8 speed automatic is so smooth you don't feel it shift. I've never ridden in one. In this truck that might not be a good thing. This thing will be light and with at least 400 to 430 hp it could get away from someone pretty easy. I believe as far as the rear weight the Mark 8 subframe and differential are a lot heavier than the 10 bolt I pulled out.
thats interesting, is that counting leafs too?

I was more referring to the all aluminum vette engine and trans compared to the cast iron six.

the irs will be a good way to keep the power down, a guy named coach did a tbird IRS on here a couple years ago.

edit for the link to the IRS install

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=coach&page=35

Last edited by joedoh; 03-22-2019 at 11:00 AM.
Old 03-22-2019, 04:44 PM   #15
jimcol

Quote:
Originally Posted by svr View Post
My '18 Silverado has a 6.2 with the 8 speed auto in it. very smooth shifting, you have to be paying attention to count the shifts.
I talked to a guy today that says the same thing. I'm still researching how feasable this is.
Thanks.
Old 03-22-2019, 04:47 PM   #16
jimcol

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman3 View Post
Lever-action shocks were standard on late 47, 48, 49. In 1950 they went to the tubular type shocks...Jim
They are pretty cool looking. I think I'll hang on to them and maybe use them on an old rat rod. Or if someone comes along that needs them for a restoration.
Thanks.
Old 03-22-2019, 05:00 PM   #17
jimcol

Quote:
thats interesting, is that counting leafs too?

I was more referring to the all aluminum vette engine and trans compared to the cast iron six.

the irs will be a good way to keep the power down, a guy named coach did a tbird IRS on here a couple years ago.

edit for the link to the IRS install

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=coach&page=35
Best I can find The LS2 is about 180 lbs lighter than the old cast iron inline 6. The fun part is going to be the 350 hp difference.
The Mark 8 used Ford's 8.8" diff. internals. They are an open diff. because the traction control would handle the wheel spin. Since I plan to use the Mark 8 anti lock brakes I am going to try the traction control. If it don't work then I'll put a locker diff. and a gear ratio close to the 06 vette.
Old 03-22-2019, 06:13 PM   #18
joedoh

I thought of something else regarding the 8 speed, I drove an 8 speed camry to ohio and back in 30 hours, and when the cruise was working it was wonderful because the radar cruise would hold the higher gears and accelerate/decellerate smoothly enough not to downshift/upshift a lot. then the weather started sleeting, and the cruise kicked off, I had to use my right foot. and no matter how hard I tried I could not maintain a steady speed, if I started slowing down on an incline, a slight push on the gas pedal would downshift to 6th, sometimes 5th, and the acceleration was just so rapid in those gears that I would let off. I spent about 1200 miles floating between 68 and 80mph, shifting up and down. I could select 6th and lock it but the fuel economy went down, nothing above 6th was selectable.

I know a 4 cyl camry doesnt have a lot to do with a 400 hp v8, but that was my experience. make sure the cruise works and "talks" to the trans or you might have the same rubberband effect.

make sure the Mark VIII traction control isnt just applying the brakes to the spinning wheel. my pilot works like that, called vehicle stability assistance, and in snow it overheats the abs. its not a good thing for acceleration either. feels like its getting punched in the gut.

Old 03-23-2019, 10:04 AM   #19
Kansas T

As a GM dealership technician, I recommend you don't use the 8 speed. Its a very problematic transmission. There's a lot of issues with the torque converters, stator supports, and the valve bodies. I also don't care for the shifting when you compare it to the 6 speeds or even the newer 10 speeds. These trucks are so light, I don't think you can go wrong with the older 4 speed autos. The '52 I'm currently building is getting a 4L60e.
Old 03-23-2019, 10:52 AM   #20
jimcol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas T View Post
As a GM dealership technician, I recommend you don't use the 8 speed. Its a very problematic transmission. There's a lot of issues with the torque converters, stator supports, and the valve bodies. I also don't care for the shifting when you compare it to the 6 speeds or even the newer 10 speeds. These trucks are so light, I don't think you can go wrong with the older 4 speed autos. The '52 I'm currently building is getting a 4L60e.
Thanks for the input. The owner is looking toward the 6 speed. That was what was behind the engine we are using. I agree a person can't go wrong with the 4L**e transmissions.
Old 03-23-2019, 11:01 AM   #21
jimcol

Quote:
I thought of something else regarding the 8 speed, I drove an 8 speed camry to ohio and back in 30 hours, and when the cruise was working it was wonderful because the radar cruise would hold the higher gears and accelerate/decellerate smoothly enough not to downshift/upshift a lot. then the weather started sleeting, and the cruise kicked off, I had to use my right foot. and no matter how hard I tried I could not maintain a steady speed, if I started slowing down on an incline, a slight push on the gas pedal would downshift to 6th, sometimes 5th, and the acceleration was just so rapid in those gears that I would let off. I spent about 1200 miles floating between 68 and 80mph, shifting up and down. I could select 6th and lock it but the fuel economy went down, nothing above 6th was selectable.

I know a 4 cyl camry doesnt have a lot to do with a 400 hp v8, but that was my experience. make sure the cruise works and "talks" to the trans or you might have the same rubberband effect.

make sure the Mark VIII traction control isnt just applying the brakes to the spinning wheel. my pilot works like that, called vehicle stability assistance, and in snow it overheats the abs. its not a good thing for acceleration either. feels like its getting punched in the gut.
Yes the 93 Mark viii's traction control operated by applying brake to the spinning wheel. Also the Mark viii's did not have limited slip diffs because the traction control handles that issue.
I'm still going forward with the anti lock brakes and shutting off the traction control feature.
The Mark viii's use the Ford 8.8 diff. So I think we'll just go with a locker or limited slip diff along with the best gearing for the LS2/6L80e.
Old 03-23-2019, 11:10 AM   #22
RockinKees

Very nice project!
Sounds like a great drivetrain.

I’ll follow along.

1959 Chevy Fleetside Longbed
My build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=643426
Kool Guyz CC
Instagram: _King_Kustom_
RockinKees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 10:08 AM   #23
jimcol

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinKees View Post
Very nice project!
Sounds like a great drivetrain.

I’ll follow along.
Thanks, I am planning on updating my progress 3 times a week .
I'm open to any and all input. This is going to be fun.
Old 03-27-2019, 02:03 PM   #24
jimcol

I haven't posted in a couple days. I was sent the wrong Mustang 2 front cross member. So I am waiting for the correct one. In the mean time I am still stripping down the frame and discarding the stuff I don't need. The original front cross member was cracked and rusted pretty bad so I have one coming.
The owner of the truck wants to go with a smooth firewall. Since there are some rust issues with the floor to firewall seam I am replacing that whole area. Does anyone have a suggestion on the best firewall to use with the LS2 6.0?
Attached Images

Old 03-27-2019, 05:49 PM   #25
mongocanfly
Post Whore

i would look for one with a reccessed feature so you can move the engine back some...there are many styles out there ...just need to pick what you can live with...or build your own

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse