The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-15-2019, 05:51 PM   #1
TXapache

New at wiring a truck, where do I start?

I bought a complete 58 Apache stock harness w/turnsignals from American Autowire. I started a few years back and have the dash and engine wired. Now I want to wire lights, front to back. Where do start? What side does the harness run down? I'm sure I can figure out which connections to make going by connector shape just need a push.
Thanks
Old 04-16-2019, 12:00 AM   #2
svr

Re: New at wiring a truck, where do I start?

On my 57 everything went forward and back on the left side. Forward on inner fender, and back in the framerail. Mine are not in stock location but very simular.
Old 04-16-2019, 01:44 AM   #3
mr48chev

SVR nailed it.

The wires to rear will run down the inside of the frame rail the left stop/turn and left tail will go to the left light and the wires will run across the inside of the rear bed cross piece below the tailgate to the right light. They may or may not have provisions for the left tail light wire running off the tail light wire.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 04:53 AM   #4
MiraclePieCo

Start with the most distant connection (usually the right rear tail light) and work back toward the fuse panel, connecting one wire at a time until - surprise! - you're done.
Old 04-16-2019, 11:35 AM   #5
Matt_50

MiraclePieCo... you make it sound so easy.
Old 04-16-2019, 06:13 PM   #6
TXapache

Thanks, I did a little today but stopped to restore my headlights. They're a little rough and dirty. I'll start again later in the week. I appreciate the info
Old 04-16-2019, 08:37 PM   #7
dsraven

remember that the old trucks only really had a few lights, horn and a heater motor to worry about for load. if going with newer stuff and more accy then you should install a fuse/relay panel while you're doing the wiring.
relay-headlights, horn, heater motor, wiper motor if electric, engine fan if using that system, anything else that will draw a good load to run OR start up.
fuse-everything electric needs a fuse at the origin of the circuit in order to protect the wiring.
consider an alternator because they will keep up with the load at almost any engine speed. the generators are not meant for the higher loads of what most guys install for accy, plus they don't really charge at idle.
use the wire gauge according to the circuit max load. fuse accordingly
dsraven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 10:44 PM   #8
TXapache

I plan to upgrade to an Alt soon. Just need to figure out how to wire it to the stock gen wiring and gauge. The only upgrades to the truck from stock will be a factory looking radio and Vintage Air conditioning. Don’t need much more than that in this truck.
Old 04-17-2019, 12:19 AM   #9
dsraven

depending on the a/c set up you may end up with an electric fan that cycles when the a/c runs. this will require more than the generator will keep up to likely. an alternator is a great upgrade. there are a few options as to how they get wired, some have 3 wires some have a single wire. in general, go big or go home. a high output will only charge as required but a small alternator will work overtime if you upgrade to something else electrical and it taxes the small alternator. check what the amperage requirement will be on the a/c system and if an electric engine fan is recommended for the climate you live in. the in cab fan may draw some good amps, you never know unless you look at the specs. add up the max draws from all the accy and size the alt accordingly.
lights
heater-a/c
engine fan if applicable
stereo
windshield wipers
power windows/locks/antennas
whatever it takes for the ignition system
other

plan it out, if you plan on using bus bars or fuse relay panels, or just fuse panels and possibly some single relays near the accy, or however you plan to run things. mount the fuse panel or whatever and then start to run the main power to that. lay the wiring out to the front and rear where you plan to have that. places like harbor freight sell Velcro cable ties that will help organize the wires until you are done and ready to use loom and proper ties. check to see if the harness you use has labels for the different circuits or specific colors for circuits and lay the wires for those circuits. pretty soon you will be ready to cut wires to length and connect the dots at the circuit terminations. one thing at a time gets it done but a plan is always good to start with. use an amperage draw/wire size chart to ensure you size the wire correctly for the draw in the circuit. charts are available online for free.
dsraven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 08:52 AM   #10
popstand

I wired my '53 with a Painless Performance GM style universal harness kit, which has a GM style fuse block. An excellent product. American Autowire has similar kits, also excellent. Both Painless and Autowire have step by step instructions available online. You start with mounting the fuse block and work out from there.

Take a look at Gibson63 on YouTube to see a guy do a really nice wiring job on his '63 Chevy pickup using an American Autowire kit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qcwZBZ1_jU&t=5s
popstand is offline   Reply With Quote