The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-19-2016, 02:45 PM   #1
gigamanx

Gas tank -- replace or move under the bed?

Hey all, I just got my project running and idling in the garage with a makeshift fuel funnel. When I bought the truck, the fuel line was disconnected and I think I now know why. Once I knew the truck ran, I pulled the sending unit off the cab gas tank to find a pretty healthy amount of rust inside. The sending unit came out almost in pieces it was so rusted.

Instead of trying to save the tank, I have the option of 1. Replacing for about $200 with sending unit and OEM cab mounted tank or 2. Springing a few hundred more for a bed mounted tank.

Since this project will probably get an S10 swap in the next year, do I just do the cheap dirty approach for now or is there some unknown-to-me reason I should spend the extra and move the tank?

gigamanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 03:20 PM   #2
HUSSEY

Re: Gas tank -- replace or move under the bed?

Personally, I just never liked the idea of a gas tank inside the cab. It's hard to decide what to do if you plan on doing a S10 swap in the future. With the S10 swap you could re-use the S10 tank (that's what I did). I would opt to try and get your existing tank cleaned out and make use of it for now rather than spend $$$ on something you may/may not use in the future.
Old 12-19-2016, 10:07 PM   #3
72Mountaineer

Before you put the tank in the rear between the frame rails, think of how you would run your exhaust. You shouldn't (but some do) run the pipes under the tank, so plan for the right size or run the pipes out the sides.
72Mountaineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 04:03 AM   #4
tmoble

Before you put the tank in the rear between the frame rails, think about the fact that the most popular type of accident is the rear-ender. Fact is, inside the cab is by far the safest place for a tank. The smell? ditch the stupid cork gasket, make one out of a piece of rubber sheet gasket material.
tmoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 01:32 PM   #5
gigamanx

Thanks all. Didn't consider all the fabrication needed to move the tank. I might start out by trying out the vinegar and some washers and shake it around a bit. See if it can be salvaged since there isn't any noticeable bubbling on the outside paint. Just nasty looking inside.
gigamanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 10:42 PM   #6
Jemezcrusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigamanx View Post
Thanks all. Didn't consider all the fabrication needed to move the tank. I might start out by trying out the vinegar and some washers and shake it around a bit. See if it can be salvaged since there isn't any noticeable bubbling on the outside paint. Just nasty looking inside.
Radiator shop could boil it out for you, or you could use some muratic acid diluted somewhat with some gravel inside to roll around in it
Jemezcrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 11:18 PM   #7
mr48chev

One of the problems with these trucks is that if they are left sitting anywhere for a length of time it always seems that the gas cap comes up missing unless it's so ugly no one would want it.

Until you figure out what you want to do with it in the long run I'd say cleaning the tank out and putting an inline filter between the tank and the fuel pump and carrying a couple extra filters along would be the prudent thing to do. Then you have time to decide what you want to do later.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 11:19 PM   #8
Dan in Pasadena

Take the tank out of the cab.

Besides the obvious smell & leakage I remember a story "60 Minutes" did a long time ago citing accidents where people burned to death because of them.

The issue WASNT the tank rupturing in an accident. The issue was the rubber connecting the tank to the filler neck getting rock hard over years and it would shatter in a relatively minor accident. Then fuel would slosh all over. Not worth the risk, even if you think it's minor and especially if you take your family in the truck. Personally, I can think of nothing worse than burning to death.

PS: The wrecking yard is your friend. I'm certain you can find a late model used tank that will work just fine for very few bucks.

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 11:26 PM   #9
nvrdone

maybe look at putting a tank from a '48 or a suburban in. they fit on the right frame rail under the bed. im looking at one on both sides - saddle tank style
nvrdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 11:44 PM   #10
dsraven

measure up the space you have then take a tape to the wrecker and start looking. if you plan on an s10 convert then try an s10 tank. maybe it will work.you could always do an "in the box" tank for temp use or fab something up. like said, a rad shop can also boil out the old one but you also run the chance of pinhole leakage after. replace that rubber hose if you re-use the cab tank, as well as the rubber it sits on. inline filter somewhere accessable as well.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote