The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-08-2009, 05:49 PM   #1
Bino

Blazer Seat Bracket Question

So I've been looking for some mystery seat brackets for a while now. However, I recently realized, that I have never even seen the brackets that I'm looking for. So I wouldn't know them at a swap meet if somebody threw them at the back of my head . See attached pictures.

What does the piece look like that goes in between my seat bracket in the first picture, and the mounting holes? I figured it's also possible that I have the wrong brackets on there and the seat bracket is supposed to bolt directly to the body. Either way, can somebody give me a little guidance? Maybe toss up a picture of what I should be looking for?

Thanks
Attached Images

Bino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 06:04 PM   #2
jaros44sr

Re: Blazer Seat Bracket Question

Looks to me like ya got the wrong seats in there, as you state the brackets should bolt directly to the rear holes.

Welcome to the boards from Philly

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 07:13 PM   #3
Bino

Well that does change my direction just a little bit... any idea what the ones I currently have are for? Then I can at least properly advertise them at the next swap meet...

Thanks
Old 01-08-2009, 09:16 PM   #4
1tuff71

It looks like the latch on the drivers side of mid to late 70's gm truck seat but it appears you have it mounted on the passenger side. Could be from a truck that had buckets instead of a bench. Just a guess since I had a 78' Blazer and they had a latch just like that on the passenger side but the seat flipped forward but did not slide.
1tuff71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 09:27 PM   #5
Bino

That's the driver's seat. The pictures are taken with the drivers door open, from the drivers side. The guy who sold me the brackets, and the seats, said they were for a 69-72 Blazer. That doesn't mean they are... but that's what I was told.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:46 PM   #6
cleszkie

Try pulling the seat slider lever and moving the tracks back so the holes in the tracks line up with the holes in the floor. I bet when you do that, the metal piece that is under the slider foot stays put while the slider foot moves over it. I'm not at my Blazer, but the seat mounts look right to me. The slider adjustment lever is definitely the same as mine.
cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 10:13 PM   #7
Livrat
Member #1049

Those look to be Blazer seat tracks.. and the floor pan looks like a pickup
Are you wanting to put Blazer bucket seats in a pickup where a bench seat was?
If so that is not just a bolt in affair.. bench seat trucks have a different setup than bucket seat trucks.. you will have to drill holes in the floor and make a threaded plate underneath for the seat tracks to bolt to..
Livrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 10:31 PM   #8
Bino

The seats are in a 1971 K5 Blazer. I tried what was suggested by cleszkie, the bracket cannot be manipulated by releasing the slider lever. The two mounts are riveted to the same rail on the slider. So I'd have to break the rivets (which look original) in order to spread the mounting pattern out.

I believe the floor pan to be an original Blazer piece. The tub is severely rusted (you can see some previous, and poor, patch jobs in the pictures). But I see nothing that suggests the floor boards have ever been replaced.
Old 01-09-2009, 03:19 AM   #9
k-nuts

I had the same issue. Here's the thread. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=194022

I had the other seats and mine originally came with utility buckets. I have NOT tried to bolt in my utility buckets yet, but I'm guessing (hoping) that's the issue. Look at your passenger side hold down bracket holes. Mine were offset way over to the side for utility brackets.
Kind of like SW and DW hardtops had different bolt patterns I guess. I think someone mentioned some trucks had dual bolt patterns, but don't know.
k-nuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 06:16 AM   #10
jaros44sr

Just measured my mounting holes in the Jimmy/Blazer. DS bucket seat mounting holes are 12 3/4" cl to cl. Utility Buckets are 15 1/4" cl to cl

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

Jim
Old 01-09-2009, 08:11 AM   #11
RLONG

There was two different kinds of seats put in the Blazers when i sent to LMC for covers they were to narrow and small when talking to the people who make the covers they had me pull the old covers and send them to them.
The lady called me back and said i had the ones they called Fat Boy buckets so i think they are the ones that were called utility buckets they are wider than what i have seen in the Trucks so i would think the bracket would be different.
RLONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 09:56 AM   #12
special-K
Special Order

RLONG,did those seats have metal back covers?I`ve never heard them called Fatboy seats.Works for me.All the seats have the same front to back mounting hole spread.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 12:11 PM   #13
jaros44sr

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
RLONG,did those seats have metal back covers?I`ve never heard them called Fatboy seats.Works for me.All the seats have the same front to back mounting hole spread.
Maybe that is why the brackets are 2" longer, to accommodate those of.....well, larger stature, being politically correct

SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

Jim
Old 01-09-2009, 12:26 PM   #14
RLONG

Yes they are metal backs and the other seat backs have a little bit of a V in them and a lot more narrow
Old 01-09-2009, 07:33 PM   #15
Bino

I guess I could have check this out earlier... although I never even thought about the Utility Bucket option. I've read about the Utility Buckets, but always just assumed they had the same seat sliders (no idea why they would have made that different). So I'm guessing the "Heavy Duty Aux Seat" is probably what's causing me all the fuss...

Kind of funny, this list of options is pretty much exactly what my dad would have ordered (knowing him) if he placed an order for one of these. This truck is not a family heirloom by any means, but it kind of makes me like it just a little more.

Thanks for all the help guys
Attached Images

Old 01-09-2009, 07:40 PM   #16
Bino

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaros44sr View Post
Just measured my mounting holes in the Jimmy/Blazer. DS bucket seat mounting holes are 12 3/4" cl to cl. Utility Buckets are 15 1/4" cl to cl
Just checked, my brackets measure 12.75" C-C, and the mounts on the tub measure 15.25" C-C. I have another tub that I'll be swapping in for this one when the time comes (this one is rusted beyond belief). But I kind of like having the somewhat uncommon seat option.... Sweet! It'd be sweeter if I actually had the stock seats. Oh well.
Old 01-10-2009, 02:40 AM   #17
joemacho

go to knuts thread post 14 the latch is on the side and mine is in the middle maybe there just the wrong brackets. my jimmy is a 72model.
Attached Images

joemacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 03:22 AM   #18
RED72blazer
urban fourwheelin

I had the same problem, but reversed when I tried to substitute utility buckets for the standard.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:33 AM   #19
yellowblazer1969

The blazer pictured came with utility buckets the brackets are longer, they look the same as the truck brackets on the driver side, the passenger brackets are different. i have some here ill send some pictures today. we have seen this problem several times here at the shop. several options use utility brackets on the regular buckets or make new holes for the tracks you have that are correct for regular buckets. some blazers even have both sets of holes in the floorpan.

pics this afternoon, chris
yellowblazer1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 01:33 AM   #20
woodymm3

anyone know where to get new covers for the utility buckets?
woodymm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 06:08 PM   #21
70rs/ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodymm3 View Post
anyone know where to get new covers for the utility buckets?
Any upulstry shop, but they'll need to be "made" as they are not a normal cover. You may need to send in your old cover as a pattern. I have a set of utilities as well as a set of regulars, never knew the brackets were different, ya learn something new every day!!
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 01:33 PM   #22
1tuff71

I think the covers can be found at Golden State Parts, or LMC. It's hard to tell from the photo in their catalog, (no back view) but they look right and they are also listed as 67'-68' seats and my 71' Blazer came with those too. Give one of them a call or check both on line. BTW, their not cheap!
Old 05-13-2009, 07:44 PM   #23
woodymm3

are the 67-68 seats the same as the utility buckets?
woodymm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 07:50 AM   #24
RLONG

Good news wife knows where the info for the mom and pop upholstery shop that made my seat covers and that also do covers for LMC trucks. Will post info by weekend. She says she saved it just has to find it. LMC probably would not give out the info but they gave it to me because since they did not fit i wanted to return them so they gave me the phone number to see if they could build the utility size and they could.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:39 PM   #25
1tuff71

Sounds like the seat I have and I never saw anything but those (they have the metal back w/ a criss-cross pattern ) and the CST seat with a plastic back. I would think that one of the resto suppliers would tell you what you had. Unless you are going for the resto look I would seek out a upholstery shop and show them a photo of what you want and go that route. Sounds like rlong might have some info for you too. Good luck