The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-26-2022, 12:55 PM   #1
hotrod1
56 - autocross

Steel or Fiberglass front end - 1956

I have the factory sheet metal and also a fiberglass front end. There is quite a difference in the weight and getting 100+lbs off the front end would be nice. On the other hand, not sure about the looks of the two in comparison.

I am sure there are a lot of ups and downsides for both. I am building the 1956 Chevy truck for performance and aesthetics and don't want to kill either.

What are your thoughts?
hotrod1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 06:10 PM   #2
_Ogre

Re: Steel or Fiberglass front end - 1956

Steel. Our trucks have the aerodynamics of a brick going down the road. 100 lbs won't make a difference for performance. Steel for aesthetics. Fwiw, TRUK gets 21mpg

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 12:53 PM   #3
mr48chev

Un;ess you are building it to actually run at the drag strip on a regular basis I'd go with steel. And not a Tilt front end.

I've had buddies run metal tilt front ends and as they have no inner fenders your engine gets splattered with road grime and rain or puddle water. Neither one raced his truck. Both were worth a lot of Bubba points at shows though.

Decide how you actually are going to use it and then decide.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 10:38 AM   #4
dsraven

ive done fiberglass front ends before. usually tilt. they look good untill the bodywork starts, they aren't known for being awesomely straight and flat. they also need some sort of inner fender installed-like mudflaps hung on rods sort of like a larger truck may have. your choice but if the steel is decent thats what I would use. there can be a lot of flex in these style trucks due to how they are mounted on the frame. the rear cab mounts are rubber, the front cab mounts are metal on metal, the rad support that holds the front of the fenders is sitting on rubber. sort of a see-saw set up when things start to move, like over a speed bump with a bit of an angle that makes the frame flex. that is one reason why really close body gaps can cause body panel rubbing sometimes.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 04:02 PM   #5
hotrod1
56 - autocross

Thanks for your suggestions. The chassis will have almost zero flex (custom chassis) and everything is solidly mounted - Delrin bushings.
Old 10-02-2022, 02:50 PM   #6
mr48chev

Ford F-1 that was at Maryhill yesterday that shows you what you are up against.

The Chevy was my buddy's truck that has the cut down bed from the truck I took my current cab off. He built it with a tilt nose back in the late 70's.

Note that on an AD you have to cut the bottoms of the fenders somewhere for clearance of the cab. It won't work any other way. Working on that car a few times those little "wings" were a pain and always in the way when you were working on the engine.
Attached Images

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 05:38 PM   #7
hotrod1
56 - autocross

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
Ford F-1 that was at Maryhill yesterday that shows you what you are up against.

The Chevy was my buddy's truck that has the cut down bed from the truck I took my current cab off. He built it with a tilt nose back in the late 70's.

Note that on an AD you have to cut the bottoms of the fenders somewhere for clearance of the cab. It won't work any other way. Working on that car a few times those little "wings" were a pain and always in the way when you were working on the engine.
Thanks for the info and pictures.