The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-30-2010, 10:34 PM   #1
odog

67 4x4 dana 60 w/power steering

I am looking to up grade my 1/2 ton 69 to 3/4 ton. The axles I have came off a 67 3/4 ton with MANUAL steering. The problem I amhaving is that the drag link from the 69 power steering does not match up with the axle of the 67. The drag link ends are different sizes. The U shaped part that the drag link bolts to cannot be swapped from axle to axle due to different bolt patterns. Has anybody had any dealing with this. I cannot find any threads related to this and I would really like to goto 3/4 ton axles and keep the power steering.
Old 09-30-2010, 11:02 PM   #2
68SWB4x4
Strongman Garage

Re: 67 4x4 dana 60 w/power steering

Quote:
Originally Posted by odog View Post
I am looking to up grade my 1/2 ton 69 to 3/4 ton. The axles I have came off a 67 3/4 ton with MANUAL steering. The problem I amhaving is that the drag link from the 69 power steering does not match up with the axle of the 67. The drag link ends are different sizes. The U shaped part that the drag link bolts to cannot be swapped from axle to axle due to different bolt patterns. Has anybody had any dealing with this. I cannot find any threads related to this and I would really like to goto 3/4 ton axles and keep the power steering.
is the 67 axle the orignal 67 axle? if so it is closed knuckle and a big down grade if your 69s is an open knuckle front axle.
68SWB4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 11:38 PM   #3
Beelzeburb
Devil's in the Details

Just to get this out of the way: no '67 or '69 came with a Dana 60 front axle, and no 3/4 ton Chevrolet / GMC truck came with a Dana 60 front axle either. Only 1 ton 4x4s had them.

Trying to get decipher the terminology here. U shaped part = steering arm I'm guessing. Facing vehicle front the drag link bolts to the pitman arm and facing vehicle rear the drag link bolts to the steering arm. The steering arm bolts directly to the driver side steering knuckle on the axle.
I tried searching around on this site a little bit using the word "steering arm" along with some other terms and was able to come up with some info, especially concerning closed vs. open knuckle configurations. Sometimes it helps to have the correct terminology.
Old 10-01-2010, 08:27 PM   #4
odog

Yes the 67 axle is the original closed knuckle design. I have heard both pros and cons about the closed knuckle design, but that is what I have on hand. I would like an open knuckle eventually. I believe the 69 is a dana 44, not sure if the 67 is a dana 60 or not, but its a 3/4 ton semi floater.
Yes I am talking about the steering arm, sorry about the terminology. The drag link bolts to the pitman arm, and to the streering arm. The steering arm on the 1/2 ton axle has a bigger hole for the drag link than the 67 3/4 ton axle does, and the steering arms are different designs. The bolt pattern where the steering arms bolt to the axle are not the same so I cannot just switch steering arms. If it is possible to get a smaller drag link for the 3/4 ton and leave the bigger end for the pitman arm that would be ideal, but not sure if thats possible.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:33 AM   #5
fayettecopa

odog,

Any luck getting this figured out?
fayettecopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 09:18 PM   #6
odog

Finally got a chance to really look at it and I was way off. The drag link ends are the same so everything will fit nicely. When I first looked at it, I swear that the steering arm hole that the drag link wen tinto was smaller, but now that everything is apart I see that it is the right side. Now I just have to find time to put it all together.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:29 AM   #7
67mater

I think you may have been right the first time. When I still had my 3/4t 67 closed knucle axle I had to enlarge the steering arm when I went to a power steering box and aftermarket drop drag link. I have since swapped to a late model (disc brake) corporate so I no longer have anything to help you, but if you get into trouble when you assemble it you'll know as there will not be enough thread for the castle nut. The correct thing to do is have the steering arm machined larger.

Also make it a routine to grease those closed kncukles!!! I tapped the plug for a zurk so I didnt have to manually fill the cavity with grease. I also liked the trailer bearing grease since it's designed to be in wet environments.

Good luck!

1967 K10
1967 Camaro
67mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 08:02 PM   #8
odog

I have started cleaning up the axle assembly. The cavity in the closed knuckle was full of grease, or a grease like substance. At least it wasnt frull of water. 1st chance I get I am going to take the drag link plan on using and making sure it fits. I will post more when I know, but its going to be a few weeks, going out of town on a big job for awhile.